Screws loosening? Problem?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Parkourdude

Screws loosening? Problem?

Post by Parkourdude »

Hey hey.

So I have this irrational fear of buying knives with lots of screws (delica - 5 handle screws, 3 pocket clip screws), because I think they would loosen and I'd lose them...

I know loctite works very well, but how long does it stay effective for?

Have many people here have ever experienced a screw missing in their spydie's handles?

Thanks guys.
shabowie

Re: Screws loosening? Problem?

Post by shabowie »

Never had one come out. I use blue loctite on the pocket clip screws. There isn't a lot of vibrational forces involved on those screws and no heat so basically just the torque from a tool would break it loose.
Last edited by shabowie on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

None of the screws on my Delica are loctited and they are all fine. I have had to tighten one of the screws on my pocket clip. So my advice would be just to loctite the pocket clip screws.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Loctite works very well, as long as you trust it and don't "check" the screws once it has set. I've only ever had one screw fall out of a Spyderco, and that may have been partly due to my habit of storing that particular knife on a desk that also housed a computer with a fan that generated a constant, low level, vibration.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Had my Endura 4 almost ten years. Never has to adjust any screws except the ones on the clip which is normal. Blue loctite once and done.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Not a problem.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've not lost a Spydie screw, once on a CRKT, NEVER one with Loctite on it. You only need a tiny drop and it will hold until you intentionally force it. The stuff works on small engines that vibrate, generate a lot of heat and used in extreme cold without issue, IMO you should be able to trust it on your knives. Also I agree with the above statements that the pocket clip is usually the only place where a loose screw will likely be a problem. Some pivot screws, usually on lesser knives will work themselves a bit loose but I wouldn't Loctite a pivot because it will become a pain to adjust if needed with wear. I personally like to take most of my knives apart once and a while for cleaning and lubricating so other than pocket clip screws, I avoid using Loctite on the rest.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've mostly carried screw-together Spydercos for the last decade and have never had any screws loosen or fall out. (I myself may have had some screws come loose, but that is another story altogether ;)). As the others mentioned, the Loc-tite has never failed on my knives.
paladin

Post by paladin »

remnar

Post by remnar »

I almost lost a pivot screw on a Leafstorm when it came loose. Luckily, I noticed the loose screw and added some loctite. I also use loctite on some of my .22 pistols and haven't had any problems with screws coming loose. If it holds up to the heat and shock of a firearm, then I definitely trust it on a knife.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Parkourdude wrote: I know loctite works very well, but how long does it stay effective for?

Loctite is actually a brand of adhesives like Spyderco is a brand of knives. They make threadlockers which is what most people know them for but even those products come in various grades. Some of them are meant to be permanent solutions which are designed to pretty much be an adhesive which is designed to fit in small gaps (threads). Some of them are designed to just make a thread grip tighter but still alllow you to take it back out. They are graded by color. If you never want them to come out then try the red, if you want to be able to take the screws out at a later date then try the purple. If you ever plan to sell the knife you might want to avoid the red because the guy who buys the knife could be in for a surprise when he tries to take it apart and he isn't experienced in removing high strength adhesive bonds.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I've had to put blue locktite on a few clip screws because they kept loosening. No problems afterwards. It doesn't take much.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

If you don't have locktite... get a look on your wife side for clear nail polish... just a drop and let it dry ;-)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I've never had a screw fall out of a Spyderco, even of the knives that I've taken apart and put back together. It's also worth nothing that those knives didn't have Loctite before or after my tinkering, and they still stay put. Ironically, the one knife that gave me trouble with the screws coming loose was because they had Loctite on them! I removed the clip to change its position, and the screws had blue on them. They wouldn't go in the new holes properly until I removed the Loctite, and are still snug today without it. I don't bother with the stuff, but a lot of folks like it.

So if you want some extra assurance that they'll stay put, use some sort of lower strength thread locker. You'll lower the risk of stripping them should they need to be removed, and make it easier to clean the old stuff off before reinserting.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

djinnzfree wrote:If you don't have locktite... get a look on your wife side for clear nail polish... just a drop and let it dry ;-)

Most nail polish is quite corrosive. That's why they recommend against the use of it as touch up paint on cars. I would avoid using it on knife screws.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

For car you should use first a good primer matchable with the color you choose... don't mix brand... same primer brand with same nail polish brand. If you use clear nail polish the only thing to understand... if you use mineral oil to lub your knife... it will dissolve the nail polish. Real loctite / gun-tite are better because no matter oil type you use they'll resist.
Corrosive nail polish.... i'am curious... did you got a link? picture?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I lost a screw from a Salsa... but that always was a rattlely knife... I think it came out in my pocket and got lost in the washing machine or somewhere when I pulled change out or sat down or something.

Awhile ago I bought a used PM2 and took it apart to go over it and had to lol because the previous owner used teflon tape on the screws, haha. I don't know if it was an attempt to seal it and keep water out, or take up some loose tolerances...?

I use a lot of 243 daily, mostly on motorcycles and bicycles and whenever I work on my vehicles (though at that point I often use more red on automotive). I also use a lot of the loc-tite stick and permatex blue gel when I don't need it to wick like the liquid and would rather have it stay in place.
Recently been using a lot of 609 retaining compound for press fit bearings, but never on knives...
Very rarely ever use the green or purple.
Going back to Caly.