My Complete Collection - One a Day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Re: My Complete Collection - One a Day

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Makes a great tie clip.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, I guess it would. But I haven't worn a tie since about 2007.
:bug-red-white
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't often, but mine came in really handy opening bottles of wine at my friend's wedding...that's when I used it as a tie clip and it was perfect. Most people didn't even realize it was a knife until I went to use it and it kept my tie in place perfectly. I was a grooms-man and there wasn't many places on the rental tux that I was willing to clip a knife, but being a country boy I couldn't bring myself to go anywhere without a knife.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got this Zulu. The design seemed a little weird to me, but by this time I had grown to really enjoy the more unusual designs. It had the usual Taichung, outstanding fit and finish. But I never did warm up to the blade shape for my uses, and the tip-up clip position leaves a lot of knife sticking out of the pocket. But it's still a much appreciated part of the collection.

Knife # 91 - December 2010.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Along with the Zulu, I ordered this G-10 mini Persian. Just like the large version, this one is a perfectly functional knife, but the black, peel-ply G-10 slabs and FFG blade grind give it a completely utilitarian and somewhat drab character, when compared to the bolstered, micarta original. But, this knife is an important part of my complete Schempp Spyderco collection.

Knife # 92 - December 2010.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The first knife of the new year was the EDC Forums, Moonglow Manix 2. This was the first release, and is a great knife. It glows very strong for a few minutes, then continues to glow less intensely for hours. My example is very well made. Solid and smooth, with excellent F&F. The only thing I'd like to change is to have a bit more subtle EDCF logo.

Knife # 93 - January 2011.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next, I got this blue G-10 Sage 3 to keep the Sage collection complete. I really like the smoothness of the bolt action lock, and Taichung's fit and finish are excellent as usual.

Knife # 94 - January 2011.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Thanks for doing this, I am really enjoying this thread. I like the little back stories on each knife, it brings me back to my thought process about the ones that I have also.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I decided to add another member to the value line family. I was still enjoying the Tenacious and Persistence, so it was time to get the Ambitious. It's a very well made little knife for the price, but hasn't really been used much.

Knife # 95 - January 2011.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

At this point, I took a break from buying Spydies for a few months. Mainly because I was focusing on acquiring some high-end firearms at the time. But I was soon drawn back into it with the release of the Navaja. Being a big Schempp fan, the Navaja was a must buy for me. Being from Taichung, it's a very well built and finished knife. But ergonomically, the Navaja is not one of my favorite Schempp designs. The choil is a bit awkward in use for me, and overall, the handle just doesn't quite fit me right. I could also do without the carraca sound, as it can sometimes draw more attention than I want. But, I do still like the Navaja, and find it an interesting part of my Schempp collection.

Knife # 96 - April 2011.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got this green ZDP-189 Dragonfly. Just because I liked it.

Knife # 97 - April 2011.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Ugh. :( I must say, my enthusiasm for continuing this thread is being tested by the downright embarrassing conduct on here lately. :confused: But here we go. I still want to do my part to try to make this an enjoyable place for those who still want to talk about knives.

Next, I finally found a NIB Persian that a dealer still had on his shelf. This would replace the used and abused one that I previously had. The Persian is still one of my favorite of Ed Schempp's designs.

Knife # 98 - April 2011.

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Then let me say thanks, from the many of us who still do (want to talk about knives)!

The Persian really seems to me to be the grand daddy to the other Schempp designs. You can see its genetics in the Navaja as well as the Bowie. However, they still manage to be quite unique, even though their heritage is apparent.

Every day you push me closer to pulling the trigger on a Bowie...
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Please keep this thread going. This journey has been incredibly interesting. I have been posting less than usual of late (if that is possible) but I have been following this particular thread religiously.

And you now have me thinking of finding an old Persian!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yes thank you for continuing your thread, I must say, I thoroughly enjoy it, Keep to the high road my friend.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've really enjoyed this thread (one of my favs) and I sure hope you keep it going. Such an amazing collection deserves to be shared. I can't believe your only up to 2011 but are already on page 12!

Thanks very much,

Donovan
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PWork

Post by PWork »

Please, keep the thread going. It's one of the few I seek out every day. :spyder:
Paul
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Wow, I haven't been on all week. What did I miss, other than my favorite so far...smurf blue G10 Sage 3! What I have been carrying all week! Its smoothness of lock and pivot still continue to put a smile on my face every time.

I haven't a clue what's going on out there, as I don't have time to read lengthy threads right now (heck, I shouldn't even be on right now!). Definitely keep it going in here, I'm loving the journey you're taking us on!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next, I got this Schempp Rock. I already had the Rock Salt, but by this time, I was already determined to keep the Schempp collection complete. Plus, now I'm definitely ready to keep fighting off the zombies, even after all the 9mm runs out.

Knife # 99 - May 2011.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Love this thread (and Goldenspydies), please keep it going! It makes me wish that I included date of purchase on my inventory list. I'm just loving that you are on knife #99 and it was back in May of 2011!!!
Four more years to go and I for one, can't wait! Great pictures too.

I appreciate all the effort.
Dan