Fool me once... well, not even once

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Fool me once... well, not even once

Post by MichaelScott »

I have been reading posts and watching YouTube videos on Spyderco fakes. I figure someday I'll save up enough to get a higher-end Spyderco like a Para 2 or some such (difficult to decide, which is part of the fun) and I do not want to end up with a fake. From what I can tell, unless you have the knife in hand, it is fiendishly difficult to determine if it is real or a fake. Maybe so even then. This makes buying over the internet a dicey proposition. I do have a solution though.

Since I live in Colorado and have occasion to visit Boulder every now and then, I plan to eventually buy my high-end Spyderco at the Spyderco store in Golden. Yes, I know it will cost me more, but I won't have to worry about authenticity, I will get to visit the store and finger all of the knives that interest me and I won't have to spend too many hours doing detective work on the thing that arrived on the UPS truck.

Just my personal solution to a vexing issue.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Re: Fool me once... well, not even once

Post by Ankerson »

There are some solid recommended knife shops like Knife Works and Knife Center for example to buy online safely.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I second what Ankerson says. There are plenty of Spyderco authorized dealers that are safe to buy from. Besides the two he listed, New Graham Knife, Cutlery Shoppe, and GPKnives are three that I buy from.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah. As long as you buy from a well respected online dealer, you shouldn't have any problems. A few others are National Knives, Bladehq, Howe's Knife Shop.
:bug-red-white
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'll second Howe's, I've bought a couple from them and they're great; fast shipping, they threw in a free LED keychain light with my Para2 also.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sometime in November Spyderco will have their seconds sale at the SFO, if you head along then, then you will get some great deals. I seem to recall GoldenSpydie and Bearfacedkiller mentioning that they got green 204p PM2's for around $50 :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

http://www.warriorsandwonders.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Canada.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Not to dissuade you from visiting the SFO, but as everyone mentioned there are plenty of dealers you don't have to worry about. I have a bookmarks folder with 31 sites (if I can count) that you won't have to worry at all about buying from. Pricing varies from site to site and knife to knife, so I like to make my search as exhaustive as possible. If you'd like, I can send you the list.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Definitely hit up the seconds sale. I did very well at it. Otherwise shop at one of the dealers already mentioned in this thread. I shop at just a few and they have the lowest prices you are gonna find anywhere. I stop into the SFO very often to fondle the newest knives and then usually just buy it online. The SFO does not charge retail and offers a deep discount but the dealers mentioned in this thread usually have even lower prices. When you get bit by the Spydie bug you need to be as efficient as you can with your knife budget. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

This thread makes me want to get another PM2.

I will agree that everyone who posted before me, was 100% correct. Stick with reputable dealers and you are "golden" ;)
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

PayneTrain wrote:Not to dissuade you from visiting the SFO, but as everyone mentioned there are plenty of dealers you don't have to worry about. I have a bookmarks folder with 31 sites (if I can count) that you won't have to worry at all about buying from. Pricing varies from site to site and knife to knife, so I like to make my search as exhaustive as possible. If you'd like, I can send you the list.
Thanks so much for your responses. I've sent PayneTrain a PM for his list. That is all good to know information.

A green PM 2 for $50... ? I'll bet I will need to get a number and stand in line... :)

And, since my birthday is in November I'll be dropping some hints for a road trip to Golden.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

MichaelScott wrote:
A green PM 2 for $50... ? I'll bet I will need to get a number and stand in line... :)

And, since my birthday is in November I'll be dropping some hints for a road trip to Golden.
It gets crazy and hundreds show up for the sale. I camped out overnight. It is the black friday for Spydie lovers. Well worth it though.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Looks like a party. November... cool party in more ways than one. I'll be seventy-three in November, so I might not be all that fired up about spending the night camped out by the door. Of course, some single malt, good sleeping bag and a portable heater might help. Really, though, looks like a really fun time.

Team Innovation
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

MichaelScott wrote:From what I can tell, unless you have the knife in hand, it is fiendishly difficult to determine if it is real or a fake. Maybe so even then.
Indeed, there have been even examples on YT of people who have a decent collection and been around knives for years who buy knives like a Sebenza, make a video on them and later have to make another noting it is fake. The hard reality is that in a short period of time it isn't going to be able to tell them apart. This may have a significant effect on the secondary market and this might carry over into the primary as flippers may be a significant portion of the consumer base. The reality is though, as long as people are willing to buy clones then they are going to be made.