POLL: Longest lasting lock for an ADHD OCD flicker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Back Lock
21%
Walker Liner Lock
No votes
Ball Bearing Lock
52%
Bolt Action Lock
2%
Reeve Integral Lock
No votes
Compression Lock
25%

Total votes: 52

mastiff

Post by mastiff »

As a child I was diagnosed as being ADHD with OCD. As an adult it's mellowed a little but still affects my day to day life. Right now for instance I'm watching TV, typing this with one hand, and flicking my Endura open and closed in between the time it's not needed for typing. I'm ambidextrous so it's not hard. I started wondering how many cycles of opening and closing these locks can take before they're damaged? My Delica was my favorite before for my habit and still works fine after hundreds or possibly thousands (I don't keep count) openings. I like the Endura more because it's size makes flicking a little easier.

So which lock do you think will last the longest and continue to function in a safe manner? I'm not including tension or friction or any other kind of lock that doesn't actually lock the folder open as I have no use for those types. I don't live in a place where that restriction exists so why buy or carry what I consider an inferior folder? The PowerLock wasn't included as I don't own one and only one folder Spyderco makes uses it.

The included locks are (in no particular order):

Back Lock
Walker Liner Lock
Ball Bearing Lock
Bolt Action Lock
Reeve Integral Lock
Compression Lock

You can pick up to 2, as some might feel that 2 could be either very close or equal. If you vote, could you post any reasons or experience for your pick/picks. Have any tests been done to actually figure this out? I wonder if Sal has a machine set up to test out new locks for instance? As always, thanks for the help and input!
Cujobob

Re: POLL: Longest lasting lock for an ADHD OCD flicker?

Post by Cujobob »

There are a few factors to consider. For example, in a Reeve integral lock, a knife could use a steel lock-bar insert which would increase the hardness to match that of the steel on the blade. OR the Ti could be carbidized. OR it could be carburized. I would imagine there's some effect based on how hard or soft the steel on the blade is, as well.

I would probably buy cheaper flippers to play with and use your better knives for actual cutting. Sure, they'll wear out because they won't be built to last, but you'll feel better when that happens than when your $100 knife has blade play.
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

You could get a Spyderco Trainer knife. If the lock eventually gives out, you won't cut yourself.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think flicking will kill any of these locks, but will obviously wear some more than others. I would opt for either a back lock or CBBL, because both have a slab of steel that the blade snaps into rather than a stop pin, so that should take a lot of the abuse off the lock face itself.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I'd go for the domino. Great hole opener and the flipper. Would be the most fun for me!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

They've built machines with similar compulsions, but for them it's an advantageous condition since they're put to work testing this question. Eric said at the Amsterdam meet that the ball bearing lock lasted the most cycles and was considered by them to be the longest wearing.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I believe the bolt or ball bearing lock would wear the best. If you are an armchair flipper then you want a lock that is just as easy to flip closed and that would be the comp lock, bolt lock or cbbl for me. I am not an obsessive flipper and to be honest it drives me nuts. :) To each their own. I do flick my knives open when I use them unless I am trying to be more innocuous. My most used Spydie is a Para2 and it has seen quite a bit of lock movement and the lockup is much later than my other two para2s. It seems to have settled in where it is however and hasn't moved in a long while and to me the later lockup is more secure so unless is reaches 100% I am happy with it.

For ease of both flipping open and closed combined with the potentially long life I would recommend a cbbl or bolt lock. My Sage3 is as smooth as glass btw.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Using a sharp knife as a toy to play with while preoccupied seems a little dangerous. I like the idea of using a trainer, or what about a BaliYo pen?
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would probably avoid a knife with a ball-bearing detent. Like Evil said, something like a CBBL/BBL or a lockback.

Better yet. Maybe a friction folder?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:I don't think flicking will kill any of these locks, but will obviously wear some more than others. I would opt for either a back lock or CBBL, because both have a slab of steel that the blade snaps into rather than a stop pin, so that should take a lot of the abuse off the lock face itself.
Agreed. This is why I voted for the ball lock also.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I believe the CBBL. Plus, isn't the ball free to move about within the cage, allowing it to wear all over instead of just one particular spot?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PayneTrain wrote:I believe the CBBL. Plus, isn't the ball free to move about within the cage, allowing it to wear all over instead of just one particular spot?
Yep, also my understanding is that the ball itself is actually harder than the steel of the blade, so I believe the tang will wear and not the ball, so the groove in the tang where the ball contacts is what you wanna pay attention to. On my LW, there's about a 3/32 "grease spot" where you can see how the ball travels when locked. I don't have any recollection of what that spot looked like when new, so I don't know how much the lock has broken in and traveled, but I suspect this lock has a ridiculous amount of wear designed into it. There is such a small amount of contact area when locked that there isn't much that can wear and shift, unlike other knives that have lock bars and stop pins and such.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

The CBBL should last for an incredible amount of time, unless the bearing gets messed up with sand or the polymer cage get's ruined.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I picked the ball bearing lock. The fact that the ball rolls should result in much less friction and wear.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I voted the BBL but for obsessive knife playing I'd use a flipper. I'm familiar with liner locks since I was a kid so flicking a Millie is a pleasure for me. I must say that the action of a Sage 3 is also very nice, smooth as silk.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nirvanero wrote:I voted the BBL but for obsessive knife playing I'd use a flipper. I'm familiar with liner locks since I was a kid so flicking a Millie is a pleasure for me. I must say that the action of a Sage 3 is also very nice, smooth as silk.

Without a doubt. It has a very subtle, satisfying lock sound.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Evil D wrote:
nirvanero wrote:I voted the BBL but for obsessive knife playing I'd use a flipper. I'm familiar with liner locks since I was a kid so flicking a Millie is a pleasure for me. I must say that the action of a Sage 3 is also very nice, smooth as silk.

Without a doubt. It as a very subtle, satisfying lock sound.
I guess someone already posted a thread asking which is the Spyderco with the best lock sound, but it would be interesting to refresh... :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I vote bbl and, like BFK, tend to flick mainly when using. But I sometimes do some extra flicks when trying out a different pocket or clip position and usually middle finger flick if using a knife that cooperates with that.

Has anybody worn out a bbl spring, taken one out to stretch it a bit or replaced one? Or sent a knife home to Spyderco for spring replacement? (I doubt that Spyderco would send out the part.) My used D'Allara Rescue must have been owned by an OCD flicker--it opens very easily and I'm considering stretching or replacing the spring.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.