JD Smith...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ntiguy85

JD Smith...

Post by ntiguy85 »

Just bought this Spyderco tonight and really like but couldn't find much info on it on the internet. Does anyone know anything about this particular knife. From what I can find it's a J.D. Smith knife and the model is C58BMS. Is this a rare knife?...expensive? It's got the number 122 engraved on the blade. Is this the number of a certain amount made? Just any info would be helpful. It's not letting me upload the picture of it. But it's a fully serrated blade as well. Thanks ahead of time.
SpyderNut

Re: JD Smith...

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Ntiguy85,

Welcome to the forum! To answer your question, you certainly found a nice knife in the JD Smith. It appears you have one of the (older) original models. The first run models featured ATS-34 stainless steel blades and black Micarta handles. The original MSRP for this model back in 2000/2001 was about $147. Spyderco produced a sprint run of this model in '09, with MSRP running around $220. The numbers on the blade are likely collectors' numbers and are specific to someone's collection. (Collectors can opt out of a knife if they do not wish to buy it). Regardless, that is certainly a hard-to-find model. It is difficult to say how much it is worth. I would estimate somewhere in the $200-300 range (if it is in NIB condition with the original box). You can check completed auctions at eBay to see what the JD's are actually selling for. Would love to see some pics when you are able. Hope this helps!

Michael
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The JD Smith model truly has a special place in my heart. It's also on my infamous JD's Top 10 list which I post on the General Discussion part of the Forum about every 6 to 8 months or so.

They had a Sprint Run of them about 2 to 3 years ago and I heard that they went very quickly. I used to have that knife in Spyderedge and believe me those are getting really hard to find. The very first ones were made with ATS-34 which goes back a few years.

It's truly one of my all time favorite user knives. You can use the JD Smith for a lot of cutting chores. it's a well built Spyder as well.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

C58 JD Smith - info at spydiewiki.com ... hope it will serve you also in the future :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

ntiguy85 wrote:It's got the number 122 engraved on the blade. Is this the number of a certain amount made?
With this number on the blade it should be one from from the first production run in ATS-34.
These are pretty rare, afaik the first run in ATS-34 and the second run in VG-10 had together somewhat about 2000 pieces, first run 800 pieces and second run 1200 pieces.
Some pics of my JD Smiths, second run PE and Sprint Run 2009:

Second run in SE

losinground

Post by losinground »

Wow, that's an awesome knife. (we need a sprint of that) ...great find!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

losinground wrote:Wow, that's an awesome knife. (we need a sprint of that) ...great find!
Agreed. We DO need another sprint of the JD. Maybe we could hope for maroon G-10 with a ZDP-189 blade. :cool:
losinground

Post by losinground »

SpyderNut wrote:
losinground wrote:Wow, that's an awesome knife. (we need a sprint of that) ...great find!
Agreed. We DO need another sprint of the JD. Maybe we could hope for maroon G-10 with a ZDP-189 blade. :cool:
Let's keep it affordable! haha
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

losinground wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Let's keep it affordable! haha
Nah, I'll just sell off my other kidney. It's all good! :p But seriously, VG-10 would work just fine for me too. ;)
losinground

Post by losinground »

I am digging the maroon idea. Even though I love the colors Spyderco currently offers, maroon has been lacking.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I found a NIB ATS34 one locally a few months ago. Very beautiful and comfortable in hand. I'm almost too afraid to use it.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi

Post by 1623 »

The Foliage JD Smith was an early addition when I started to collect and I still think it's one of the best looking out there. Just a beautiful knife in every regard and still the sharpest I have ever handled. People throw around the term scary sharp quite a bit...that baby was frightening. :cool:
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

Funny, I just took delivery today of my 2nd NIB JD Smith sprint, it was what actually got me started seeking out dc'd sprints, well that knife and the Tim Zowada. I've managed to get a 2nd run micarta and the sprint NIB, I just need the PS.

I would go for a maroon sprint JD Smith, but I think it screams for a nice slab of SG2...just my take :D
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

It is a beautiful knife. It looks good with the Spyder edge.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Hah, you guys made me go into the closet to dig out my two JD Smiths for a look see again. Yup, after all this time and newer models added to my collection, they're still among my favorites :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:It is a beautiful knife. It looks good with the Spyder edge.
You better believe it's one of Spyderco's finest Spyderedged models and only the C-60 Ayoob and C-50 Centofante both in Spyderedge are the only ones that I like better.

Just this past winter I got another SE version of the JD Smith and believe me it's a permanent keeper>> those babies are getting tough to find in full Spyderedge.

Oh but yes I definitely want to see another Sprint Run of the JD Smith model and I love that Burgundy/Maroon idea>> that woud be an excellent color for the plain edged version and I would love to see either a purple or blue handle for a Spyderedged Sprint. Actually for a hard user I would only top it with the C-60 Ayoob model.

The JD Smith is also more or less a permanent fixture in my JD's Top 10 that I rate often. Super thread and great ideas for a Sprint Run guys :)