Spyderco Art Knife: Is this a rare one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Art Knife: Is this a rare one?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was looking at some websites with different older Spyderco models, and I came across this art-one with gold and silver and some gemstone. The website seller shows it to be a semi-precious stone that may be aquamarine but does not know for sure, without physical testing.

http://www.freestuffandmoney.com/nmkniv ... yderco.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is the closeup picture.

Here is the pic from the main site

http://www.nmknives.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is what they say on the site:

" If interested in above knife let me know and I will send you additional photos (soon to be on the web). I took this knife to a jewelry store and the stone is a semi-precious stone that they believe is aquamarine and is an older (25 year old) cut, the siding appears to be Silver and Gold (no way to verify without allowing them to scratch it). The jewelry store did offer to purchase the silver and gold siding and give me the knife back, but I do not want to destroy this piece of art."

Does that look like a custom-job?

The last part is amazing: Jewelers want to buy the knife just for the value of the gold and silver siding. But that would destroy a beautiful work of knife-art.

What do you all think of that one?

I noticed they also have some older Spyderco models further down:

Is this one on the far right, the red-scaled one, an Endura or Delica, or something else?

http://www.freestuffandmoney.com/nmkniv ... /06000.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh cool! I just realized the one with the stainless handle on the far left, second from the edge, is a HARPY! Is that true?
SpeedHoles

Re: Spyderco Art Knife: Is this a rare one?

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm skeptical and hesitant to click on links with "freestuffandmoney" in the url. Seems sketch.
Going back to Caly.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Well the site is a legitimate one. But my main question is this: Is the art Spyderco knife a known model that was embellished and if yes what model?
losinground

Post by losinground »

looks like an embellished stainless delica.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

First knife appears to be an all stainless Delica with an aftermarket metal overlay with "Rodeo" style engraving. They are fairly common in the Southwest, and especially in Las Vegas. The quality of the overlays varies tremendously, all the way from one of a kind pieces in sterling sliver engraved by a FEGA master engraver, to lower grade silver work hand engraved in Mexico by someone of reasonable talent, to tin can stock coated with a microscopic layer of silver electroplate and stamped out from SE Asian. Most Spyderco collectors avoid them.

This is a really "lower end" one...
The red knife looks odd to me. The only "genuine" Spyderco it could be is a red "first generation" Endura. But, if that's the case, then its integral FRN clip broke off at some point and was replaced with a metal one that is held on, in part, by that screw through the lanyard hole. Pretty muck kills collector value of what, otherwise, would be a very collectible version of the Endura.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Its hard to tell from one picture but is this a Blanchard embellished knife?. He did Police Models in more than one version.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

pmel018 wrote:Its hard to tell from one picture but is this a Blanchard embellished knife?. He did Police Models in more than one version.
Phil, I suppose anything is possible, but I can't say I've ever seen any "rodeo" style overlays by Gary Blanchard. AFAIK, the only overlays he did for Spyderco knives were the "Lone Wolf", "Eagle Head", and "Flying Eagle" patterns. The first two are normally seen on C03 Hunters, but he may have put one or two on models that share that handle. I vaguely recall seeing one on a Worker a few years back, but can't for the life of me remember which. To the best of my knowledge, the Flying Eagle pattern was only ever done on the Police and the only "versions" were a few done with the silver and jeweler's bronze parts reversed. It might be possible to squeeze a Flying Eagle overlay onto an Endura, but it would be a darn tight fit.

If that Delica was done by a "name" artist, I'd faster bet on someone like Bob Hawley, rather than Gary Blanchard.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Hi Paul
on reflection I believe you are correct. Unfortunately 90% of my knives are in storage in NZ and it is 8 years since I have been able to have access to them. Well it was worth a punt I suppose.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I've seen art on SS Spyderco models before, and some of it is really nice. For me though, you just can't beat the art that takes years of use to accomplish on the SS models.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder: