My Complete Collection - One a Day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: My Complete Collection - One a Day

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks. It's an old trunk right by a window that makes a pretty good place to take pics.
:bug-red-white
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I bought this Baby Goddard from one of the closeout retailers online. I had only seen pictures of this knife, and the size of the Spydie hole kind of threw me off. I wasn't expecting it to be so small. I was expecting Dragonfly size rather than Ladybug size. But, I still liked it. The micarta looks very nice, the fit and finish is excellent, and the blade came extremely sharp.

Knife # 80 - November 2010.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I carry that Baby Goddard on my keys. I got a factory second.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I found a good deal on this Byrd Meadowlark 2. I like the improvements over the original, especially the pocket clip. For the price this is a very capable knife, but I do appreciate the refinements that the Delica offers. This is another beater knife that I carry when expecting possibly rough or abusive cutting tasks. But so far I haven't really needed to abuse it.

Knife # 81 - November 2010.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got an orange H1 Ladybug from CountyComm. It recently had its blade swapped with a USN green Ladybug. I couldn't find a picture of it before the swap, but here is a picture of its pieces.

Knife # 82 - November 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got a stainless Dragonfly, but I never ended up using it, and later decided to give it to a family member as a present. Below is a stock photo from Spyderco's site.

Knife # 83 - November 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This Bug was an add-on to the SS Dragonfly order. Just ordered out of curiosity. It is a functional knife, but has mainly been a novelty in my collection.

Knife # 84 - November 2010.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got a purple Ladybug to give to my wife for Christmas. She wasn't too enthusiastic about it, and I'm pretty sure it's long lost. Here's a stock photo of one.

Knife # 85 - December 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next, I finally received the CF S90V Paramilitary 2. This is probably my favorite variant of the Para 2, and my most carried and used. This particular one is smooth, solid, and excellent in every way. Probably my #1 favorite Spydie.

Knife # 86 - December 2010.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I had one of those, got what I consider a good price on it. I had it for a couple years and never used it, so I gifted it away.

I have 3 or 4 Para 2 sprints that I don't use, I need to figure out what to do with them.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Donut wrote:I had one of those, got what I consider a good price on it. I had it for a couple years and never used it, so I gifted it away.

I have 3 or 4 Para 2 sprints that I don't use, I need to figure out what to do with them.
Dibs!

The CF Para is just plain sexay, but alas, it's never seemed worth it for what they go for. Really surprised the CF yojimbo wasn't similarly received.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I do enjoy following this thread, even more as I can relate to many of the stations in your knife collecting journey, and it is a lot of fun to take the corresponding knives out of the display as I see them here in your thread :)

It's amazing that I do have them all in front of me every day but I have to be reminded what I really have in my posession... It is quite a lot after all. Looking forward to the next "years" of your collection history and to the knives we have "in common". Interested, too, to see if and where your collecting speed will be slowing down...

Keep going!

Dennis
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm glad some of you are enjoying this thread. I've really enjoyed revisiting all these knives acquired along the way.

Next was this G-10 Bushcraft. Traditional style fixed blades are not really my thing, and I knew that. But I gave this knife a chance because of the great things I was reading about it. It was extremely well made, but this knife just sat in a drawer for months, untouched. It just didn't do anything for me. So I eventually sold it locally, to someone who really appreciated having it.

Knife # 87 - December 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I bought a Lum Chinese with the new Nishijin scale material. I was pretty excited to see this new CF weave that looked very interesting in pictures. But I was pretty disappointed in how it actually looked in person. The scales were slick and smooth, and the pattern looked more like diamond plate rather than the intricate swirled effect the pictures seemed to show. I never warmed up to this knife at all, and soon sold it. But I did like the Lum Chinese design, so began looking for an original. I didn't keep any pictures. Below is a stock photo.

Knife # 88 - December 2010.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I prefer the look of the newer Sage 3 CF Pattern.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Donut wrote:I prefer the look of the newer Sage 3 CF Pattern.
I had originally imagined Nishijin having a soft texture like the Taichung CF, so that added to the dislike of the slick Nishijin. I also prefer the cubic check CF, but mostly for the texture. The Taichung CF is so nice!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I do love my Taichung CF(/G-10). Is the Sage 3 any larger percentage of Carbon Fiber than the normal twill CF?

I have a number of things in flat carbon fiber, there is quite a range of feels across the different models. The Lum Chinese is smooth, with dry hands skin sticks to it, some, like the Walker Sprint feels like paper. I tried to get pictures of it, but they didn't turn out very well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The nishijin is definitely a different feel than most spydies, and I can see how it wouldn't really "work" with the Lum, due to it's general lack of traction features. I really like it in the R, though, which has jimping and a deep choil/thumb ramp to keep everything secure.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I found a great deal on this digicam, black blade Military at an online retailer. I was already a fan of the orange Millie, and this was too good a deal to pass up, and would make a great companion to my black blade, digicam Para 1.

Knife # 89 - December 2010.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This Spin was a Christmas present sent to me by my best friend (since 4th grade). It's a nice, well built little knife with a lot of nice features. It only allows a two-finger grip, but the design locks the hand in place very well. The small size, thin profile, and pocket clip allow lots of versatility and carry options, and the blade shape is very useful for most, light duty tasks.

Knife # 90 - December 2010.