Rethinking the Pingo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Rethinking the Pingo

Post by twinboysdad »

I tried a Pingo briefly last summer at Disney. My thinking was slip joint with a non menacing blade shape might not get confiscated...turns out I could have brought a Szabo folder! Anyway, I got back to civilization and stopped carrying it and eventually sold it. I like the pointy tip of my Caly 3.5 so much I just did not think there was room in my EDC for the Pingo. Now with the Ti Elmax dropping I am rethinking the design. I will say my old orange one had hella strong back spring and the 2 black ones at my b&m are a bit wimpy...do back spring strengths vary from sample to sample? Also 690 vs Elmax, is this an upgrade?
Liquid Cobra

Re: Rethinking the Pingo

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Do you mean security was lacking, so you could have carried anything? My wife wants us to go to go to Disney land someday, but the no knife thing bugs me. Not a deal breaker, but still.

Sorry, I can't answer any of your Pingo questions..I will say I'll be getting the sprint if the bug is blue like the one shown at A'dam. Looks very nice.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Disney in FL did not wand or have metal detectors
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I live right next to Disney, parents work there so I go all the time.. I have literally been there probably hundreds of times. I have been stopped a handful of times by security when first walking in because they notice the pocket clip. Every single time they ask to see it, say cool, just put it all the way down in your pocket so no one freaks out, and on they go. I have been wanting to pick up a pingo to modify. Grind down the blade to a point kinda like a ppt look. I'd be interested in this Sprint if it wasn't in elmax. I tried elmax in the pm2 Sprint and did not like it. I found it to be kinda soft.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

No one lining up to sell me on the Pingo?
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I like my Pingo(s) a lot, but it seems like every time I have a reason to put one in my pocket, a Squeak goes in instead.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The pingo is awesome, I love mine. The low carry clip carries good in my back pocket, I love the curved wharnie. The steel works great.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:No one lining up to sell me on the Pingo?
I honestly want to be able to like the Pingo, but I really just wish there was a version that offered the traditional Round Hole vs. the small hole. :( This is my only hang-up on an otherwise great design.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I edc a Pingo for work (house painter) .. Suits my needs nicely!! :cool: John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)