Black Perrin PPT Sprint inbound

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Black Perrin PPT Sprint inbound

Post by Liquid Cobra »

According to the email I got from Howe's these will be available in the second week of April. I'll be picking one of these up. Anyone else psyched? :D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tvenuto

Re: Black Perrin PPT Sprint inbound

Post by tvenuto »

Sweet. I won't be snagging one of these, though. I have the original and for me the black blade really doesn't add anything. Glad more people will get to sample this design. It would be such a winner in full Ti, and maybe with enough support we could make that happen.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

It's a little hard to tell what this carries and handles like. Can anyone give a good description?

It looks like it has deep ergonomics for your index finger grip, a Chris Reeves integral lock, and somewhat of a wharncliff blade for good application of tip force. Is it chunky or svelte for its size? Thanks!
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

I got the email earlier and got really pumped and shortly after I realized there were none in stock yet....must...be....patient.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:It's a little hard to tell what this carries and handles like. Can anyone give a good description?

It looks like it has deep ergonomics for your index finger grip, a Chris Reeves integral lock, and somewhat of a wharncliff blade for good application of tip force. Is it chunky or svelte for its size? Thanks!
Heavy and heavy. It's heavier than my Manix XL.

The balance point is right about the finger protrusion in the scales. That seems far back but it has a solid steel backspacer, which is responsible for the weight. Lock-up is rock solid, but lock is easy to disengage which is nice. I like that it offers two comfortable grip positions, one choked-up and the other more rearward. In each grip your thumb has a land of jimping, which I appreciate, but it's relatively shallow and the rear jimping is somewhat occluded by the scales. The blade shape is great, and I love the lines when open. I also like the unique corrugated texture on the G10, something spyderco does very little of.

All in all a very solid design with some quirks I'd love to change. As I said it'd be a home run in Ti, I def carry it less due to the weight.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Yes, I will be getting this one. :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like the PPT. It's still in my carry rotation. It is kind of heavy, but I find it carries well and feels great in hand.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I happen to be carrying my PPT today. Pretty much agree with tvenuto and Donut. It's fairly heavy and takes up a bit of pocket space, but is well built and comfortable in hand. This knife would be killer in Ti.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Thanks everyone. It looks very solid. Glad to hear it's comfortable in the hand.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The PPT is quite comfortable from an ergonomic standpoint. The only reason I couldn't fall in love with the original was due to the overall weight. :( Perhaps the sprint is a bit lighter weight?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I do not own a PPT, but handled one a week ago at a B&M. First impression was that it is HEAVY, with thick scales. Not for me... :o
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Is the PPT heavier in the hand than a Gayle Bradley?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Money is very tight atm but if I have the cash I will pick one up. I've always wanted the origional but couldn't pay the price for it. Weight isn't an issue since I carry a valotton edc.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Weight is right on with the GB. Eh, not a big deal for me at all. Will buy for sure.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

swigert wrote:Weight is right on with the GB. Eh, not a big deal for me at all. Will buy for sure.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
swigert

Post by swigert »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
swigert wrote:Weight is right on with the GB. Eh, not a big deal for me at all. Will buy for sure.
It is a little shorter though so it may feel heavier....
Donut

Post by Donut »

You mean the GB with the holes in the scales or the solid liner version? I think I hear that both versions feel the same.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
swigert

Post by swigert »

Donut wrote:You mean the GB with the holes in the scales or the solid liner version? I think I hear that both versions feel the same.

All I'm doing is looking at specs in the catalog, both weigh in at 5.2 oz.

Bradley Folder vs PPT Sprint
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

We'll see if I have funds when this drops. I expect it to be around for a few months, so I might end up getting one. When I first heard about it, I really wanted one, but now the "new knife syndrome" has worn off a little, and I can't see myself using one for EDC. There is always the collection, though...:D
Sherman

Post by Sherman »

jabba359 wrote:I happen to be carrying my PPT today. Pretty much agree with tvenuto and Donut. It's fairly heavy and takes up a bit of pocket space, but is well built and comfortable in hand. This knife would be killer in Ti.
That's right, I find the production a bit (too) heavy, and the Ti custom version is top, I owned these three, production on top, underneath from Sacha Thiel the "light" version with ti and CF, and the third one a full Ti version, I sold these ones 'cause to make place for some others but now I'm trying to get a Ti PPT but with clip, and if possible with a black-stonewashed blade :)