The Manbug...Impressed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
- SpyderMan -

Re: The Manbug...Impressed

Post by - SpyderMan - »

Another big Manbug fan here! I rotate the bigger knives for EDC, but the Manbug is a staple. Mine is the G10 version.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Hey Jazz, what knot is that?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

farnorthdan wrote:Hey Jazz, what knot is that?
It's a simple hangman's noose like in this video. The first loop you make goes through the hole on the knife handle...

https://youtu.be/DVsvPj-DPrw
- best wishes, Jazz.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thanks Jazz, I'll have to give it try
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

farnorthdan wrote:Thanks Jazz, I'll have to give it try
The hangman's noose FOB is the only one I know how to tie. Keep in mind the loop part (where a person's neck goes :) ) can either be long so you push the loop through the lanyard hole then put the knot through the loop and pull it tight. This way you can take it off easily. Or you can put the cord through the hole and then tie the knot. I prefer this way most of the time. You can pull the cord when tying the knot to get the knot as close to the handle as you want. I like the loop to be small enough that the loop can't spin around the end of the handle and be in the way of the blade closing. However, to remove the FOB after tying it this way you need to untie the knot. That's not too bad though because they are easy to tie. Also, some lanyard holes are too small for two pieces of the cord so shoving the entire loop through doesn't work.

Jack
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Another big fan of the Manbug here. At present, I've got three in FRN (VG-10, SB, and ZDP-189). I've been toying with getting another SB just because I really think a back-up will be nice. I'd REALLY like to see an H1 version too at some point. :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I just sharpened my SB and man, that nice shiny edge looks good with the patina.

I just snip and melt the ends of my fobs after I get them all adjusted. I don't like the hangy ends, or them being able to loosen.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PWork

Post by PWork »

Did I mention how cool an orange Manbug would be? :D :spyder:
Paul
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You know there'll be a burnt orange one in HAP40, right? It'll be a while probably, but it'll be cool.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PWork

Post by PWork »

I'm not familiar with HAP40...how's the stain resistance?
Paul
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Actually, I have no idea, and would like to know about it, too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PWork

Post by PWork »

From what info I've found, it is a HSS and NOT stainless. That rules it out for me. I'll just keep pressing for a plain ol' orange FRN Manbug. ;)
Paul
eagletalon

Post by eagletalon »

This is a fantastic little blade especially on the keychain or in the glovebox. The dragonfly is a little too big for my keychain but the manbug is the perfect size. Doesn't draw attention and can cut almost anything. Use it almost daily for mail and boxes and other cutting task.

Even carrying around the PM2, I love having the manbug in my pocket for when you need a smaller knife for a task requiring a bit more control of the blade. I kinda wish there would be a H1 version, serrated or plain.
PWork

Post by PWork »

I'd be in for a PE H-1.
Paul
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wouldn't like an H1 only because it would be hollow ground, and these little guys need to be FFG, in my opinion.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am not a fan of serrations in general so I am not really a fan of H1 but because I carry these little guys in my watch pocket which, even in my semiarid climate, can be a very sweaty and corrosive spot I do not mind H1. Normally for me corrosion resistance is very low on my priority list but a watch pocket knife is the one exception.

However, I have carried a cricket and a balance both in my watch pocket without any issues so vg10 seems adequate. I have had rusting on a carbon steel junior stockman that rides in that pocket though. In the summer while working that can be a corrosive spot for sure. I have been eyeballing a ZDP manbug for that application for a while but am unsure how it will hold up. I guess I'll just have to get one and give it a try.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PWork

Post by PWork »

Summers here can be brutally humid. I could live with a hollow ground H-1 Manbug easy enough when the humidity is up.
Paul
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PWork wrote:Summers here can be brutally humid. I could live with a hollow ground H-1 Manbug easy enough when the humidity is up.
I hear you on the humidity issue. Our Indiana summers can become fairly miserable too. :( When I was a kid, I once carried a brand-new Old Timer 340T featuring high carbon steel blades during a particularly hot summer. After a few weeks of carrying this knife, I noticed all three blades started to turn a dark gray color. Turns out I had inadvertently given the blades a good sweat-patina. ;)
PWork

Post by PWork »

I was never so lucky. All I ever got was red rust.
Paul
PWork

Post by PWork »

OK, it's been about two weeks now with the Manbug as my EDC/personal knife. It hasn't left my person the entire time. It's even within reach when I'm sleeping. I think it's safe to say that it has a firm spot on my favorites list and is my current favorite EDC. The new toy novelty is wearing off and it just feels "right" having it in my pocket. I haven't been this pleased by a new production knife in quite some time. :D
Paul