I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I'm fairly sure at this point if I could get the 701s I'd buy a set. I'm not gonna go out of my way scouring the internet for a set, but if Spyderco put them back out there, especially if they gave us more than 2 grits, I'd jump all over them. I think I'd probably still use my Dremel, but they're surely a step above the tapered diamond rod I'm using now (which to be fair, does an excellent job as it is).

I still haven't given up on figuring out how to use ceramic rods on my Edge Pro. Maybe if I got some 701s I could figure something out with those.

JD how long are they?
The Spyderco 701 Profiles are 8.5 inches long>> now if you're lucky you might even find some of the older 702 Profiles>>> most people don't even know that those exist but they are exactly half as long as the 701 Profiles. But believe it or not there are some tricky sharpening jobs that the 702 units are good for. I snagged a couple of sets when they were discontinued the same as I did when I hoarded more 701 Profiles when they got deleted from the main line up.

Oh how I would love them also in ultra fine and some type of extra coarse grit as well. They are great for many manual sharpening jobs. I actually taught myself how to use them when I got my first set but much to my pleasant surprise they worked so well and fit the scallops and spikes almost perfectly. Spyderco never did any information or instructions on them but now that I've got the hang of using them I'm kind of glad that they didn't.

Not only do I think they do a better and more meticulous job of sharpening but they leave the edges looking exactly the same as they came from the factory. Now I will say it's not a quick, microwave oven job and it does take some time and patience but the results are well worth your effort. A super sharp Spyderedged serration will sell itself I can assure all of you. Many people over the years have used cheap and poorly designed serrated blades which is why many people have it planted in their brains that all serrations are junk and that's just not true at all. Because once you get a Spyderedge razor sharp you will love using them. I hope more people chime in on this thread and give the challenge a try.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Something in the 6.5 inch range would be perfect of the Edge Pro, but I can probably make 8.5 work too. The shorter ones may be too short for what I'm imagining.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote: I still haven't given up on figuring out how to use ceramic rods on my Edge Pro. Maybe if I got some 701s I could figure something out with those.

JD how long are they?
I think the Sharpmaker rods are too long to rig for the EP. The extra length won't let the stone holder arm go far enough back I don't think. I did mount the med and fine grit 5" stones to a blank just like normal EP stones and they work great. I did the same with the 4.25" DMT stones and they work also. I needed to adjust my stroke for the shorter stones but they do work. The 4 piece set of 5" fine grit stones would work if you could rig the stone holder arm to hold them.
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=88

These are the same ceramic material as Spyderco stones. A way to use them on the EP would be great.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have the triangle 5" stone. I may see if I can come up with a way to mount it on the EP. Making a blank or something to hold the stone without gluing it would be beneficial if not essential. Or maybe two things on the arm to use instead of the black plastic ones on it already might work. Remove the rear one and have the home made one butt up against the permanent one. I'll check it out later. I'm now curious.

Jack
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Something in the 6.5 inch range would be perfect of the Edge Pro, but I can probably make 8.5 work too. The shorter ones may be too short for what I'm imagining.
EVil if you have a really high quality diamond glass cutter like the ones that professional glass companies use I believe you can score one of those and snap it off right at whatever length you want it. Because I've even talked to guys over at Bladeforums a couple of years ago that took some 701 Profiles and snapped them perfectly in half>> and if I remember right they didn't have a hard time doing it either. I bet Cliff Stamp would know of an easy, foolproof way of doing that. I might just PM him if he doesn't chime in on the thread.

Yeah I've heard those Edge Pro and Wicked Edge units both need stuff to a specified length in order to get them to work on their equipment.

I wish that Spyderco would come up with some type of a base unit or clamping system to where you could use all of their patented sharpening tools to hold them solid.

And I'm sure there are other tools out there that would also work sharpening Spyderco's serrated blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Something in the 6.5 inch range would be perfect of the Edge Pro, but I can probably make 8.5 work too. The shorter ones may be too short for what I'm imagining.
EVil if you have a really high quality diamond glass cutter like the ones that professional glass companies use I believe you can score one of those and snap it off right at whatever length you want it. Because I've even talked to guys over at Bladeforums a couple of years ago that took some 701 Profiles and snapped them perfectly in half>> and if I remember right they didn't have a hard time doing it either. I bet Cliff Stamp would know of an easy, foolproof way of doing that. I might just PM him if he doesn't chime in on the thread.

Yeah I've heard those Edge Pro and Wicked Edge units both need stuff to a specified length in order to get them to work on their equipment.

I wish that Spyderco would come up with some type of a base unit or clamping system to where you could use all of their patented sharpening tools to hold them solid.

And I'm sure there are other tools out there that would also work sharpening Spyderco's serrated blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:Something in the 6.5 inch rang.
Sorry misprint
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sorry Misprint
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sorry computer problem
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
computer failure :(
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
computer failure :(
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Redundant post.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

D-Roc wrote:Redundant post.
I tried to delete all of those misprint, double clicked posts but unlike our older system it won't let you unless you're a moderator :( I don't know why my laptop is acting up today>> I tried to delete them>> sorry about that :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I quit. LOL

OK ok, hear me out lol. I was just sitting here, replying to another thread about how I'm basically bored with myself and with knives in general. I'd never say I'm bored with the "hobby" because I don't really look at it as a hobby, it's honestly more of a way of life for me at this point and nothing is ever going to change that. However, as I was sitting here typing that other reply, it dawned on me that I'm pretty dang bored with using my knives, not so much with knives in general. Some further contemplation on that has lead me to realize, one of my favorite things about knives and using them is playing with the edges...and that's something I just haven't been doing nearly as much with my SE knives...like not even once a week. I sharpen them, and use them daily, notice when they get dullish, touch them up, and repeat the process.

It isn't as if my edges are any less sharp on my SE knives. I do feel I've learned everything I expected to learn about sharpening them and about how they will either add to or hinder my EDC. I also plan on carrying my SE Dragonfly as a primary EDC from here on (yes you read that right) and all of my PE knives will serve as backup/companion blades. This whole ordeal has made me realize that for the mundane day to day uses that I have for knives, there is nothing a SE blade can't do for me, and the boredom I've reached is, to me, proof of their edge holding merits and proof that for my day to day needs there really is no reason to obsess over a high grit polish on a PE edge that will just get lost within the first few cuts through cardboard.

So, there you have it. I made it just over 3 months of honest to God everyday SE carry, and will from here on continue carrying at least some form of SE knife probably for the rest of my life. I consider it a huge success. My only regret is that I have yet to get around to sending off some knives to have them serrated...but this is still very much a plan and will absolutely happen, I just haven't had time in my personal life to get around to mailing them out, and there's at least one knife I need to order first anyway (BD1 Manix 2 LW). My Ulize is destined to get serrations of some kind, though the people doing the serrations aren't sure they can grind Spyderco pattern serrations into a recurve, so it may get a combo edge of single pattern serrations. We'll see.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Ulize is already serrated, but with one very large inward serration and one very large outward serration. :)

You made it further than I would have and I do get bored with SE and it does work well.

What do you think of the Lil Matriarch? Are you going to stick to standard blade shapes for SE?

I do like that serrations kind of get chisel ground, and that gives you about half the cutting resistance. I wonder if we'll ever see V ground serrations.

What are all the knives that you rotated in those 3 months?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I"ve EDCed some type of serrated blade for quite a long time now>> you could measure it in years and a 6 month challenge to EDC a Spyderedged blade plays right into my hand because I'm already there for the most part.

There are so many great Spyderco models that I would EDC in Spyderedge if they were available in Spyderedge>> but many of them are not unfortunately :( One model if it were available in EDC I would carry more than a conventional Hawkbill and that would be the C-111 Captain model if they would make a serrated version with the inner arch part of the blade in SE.

When you say "EDC" that means that it's your primary blade and the first one you go to when a cutting job arises. So it goes without saying that if you want to use a fully serrated blade as your main EDC then it must be a blade design that will accomodate the majority of cutting jobs you would encounter throughout a typical day of work.

Most cutting jobs I encounter I could use either PE or SE. So to accept the challenge this thread put forth you must really give thought as to which folder(s) is going to work for your specific job regimen>> and not everyone's job is the same by any means. That's why you truly need to test drive a few PE & SE models to see which ones will fit your demands. And even if I could do 90% of my cutting jobs with a Spyderedged blade I still would have to have a companion PE blade>> because that's what it takes to get my daily work done. It's a easy challenge to commit to if you do your homework and check a few working models.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:The Ulize is already serrated, but with one very large inward serration and one very large outward serration. :)

You made it further than I would have and I do get bored with SE and it does work well.

What do you think of the Lil Matriarch? Are you going to stick to standard blade shapes for SE?

I do like that serrations kind of get chisel ground, and that gives you about half the cutting resistance. I wonder if we'll ever see V ground serrations.

What are all the knives that you rotated in those 3 months?

I mostly used my Native, Military and Dragonfly, though I also played around with a Stretch and of course my hawbill Ladybug. I had a Tasman Salt that I lost in the ocean...I may replace that, but I do also like the Lil Matriarch...that's a great little knife that I believe would also be a bit more versatile than the Tasman.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was thinking about this thread while I was driving yesterday.

You mentioned that you're bored with SE because it's just sharpening and using. Has your sharpening evolved at all? Did you compare your polished (dremel) sharpening to more coarse sharpening?

I'm a little surprised that you stuck to standard blade shapes for SE. I think that SE excels with odd shaped blade profiles.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:I was thinking about this thread while I was driving yesterday.

You mentioned that you're bored with SE because it's just sharpening and using. Has your sharpening evolved at all? Did you compare your polished (dremel) sharpening to more coarse sharpening?

I'm a little surprised that you stuck to standard blade shapes for SE. I think that SE excels with odd shaped blade profiles.

I can't get the edges sharp enough for my liking without the Dremel. I may pick up a Sharpmaker for no other reason than sharpening my SE knives since people seem pretty happy with those, or maybe one of the other SE oriented stones that Spyderco sell, maybe some 701s if I can find them.

As for shapes I just don't currently own anything odd. I almost bought a Cricket today at a gun show but it was way over priced. Now that I'll be carrying both I may pick up another Tasman since I really liked that knife.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I just saw this now...I said redundant post because I answered the question about how long the profiles were, but you beat me to it. So, my post was redundant, and I just edited saying as much.
You were having computer issues, and my short as usual reply was a few seconds after yours, so I just pulled mine.

JD Spydo wrote:
D-Roc wrote:Redundant post.
I tried to delete all of those misprint, double clicked posts but unlike our older system it won't let you unless you're a moderator :( I don't know why my laptop is acting up today>> I tried to delete them>> sorry about that :(
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder: