Spyderco steel best edge grit.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knivesinedc

Spyderco steel best edge grit.

Post by Knivesinedc »

I thought this would be an interesting topic. Amongst your Spydies and their many different steels, which of them go best with what grit.
My personal preferences: S30v- Medium to low grit, 300-400 grit edge. S30v tends to perform better with a "toothier" edge in my experience.
VG-10- Fine grit, 800+ grit. I found that Vg-10 likes to cut finely and smoothly. Its quite the slicer in FFG :cool:
8cr13mov- For most 8cr steels. Its a finer edge, but for brands like Kershaws 8cr, It becomes super scary sharp with low grit edges.
Those are the steels I've had the majority of experience with. Any other input is appreciated! -Jake- :D
Ankerson

Re: Spyderco steel best edge grit.

Post by Ankerson »

I stick with something in the 320 to 600 range depending on the steel and actual use of the knives.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I used to sharpen all my knives to 1000 grit plus stropped. But I found they all cut better if I keep them between 400 to 600 grit
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Knivesinedc wrote:S30v- Medium to low grit, 300-400 grit edge. S30v tends to perform better with a "toothier" edge in my experience.
VG-10- Fine grit, 800+ grit. I found that Vg-10 likes to cut finely and smoothly.
For clarification, what happens if you reverse that? If you sharpen S30V to 800 grit and VG-10 to 400 grit? If you sharpen both VG-10 and S30V to the same grit, 400 or 800, do they cut differently?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here is some good info. For me it depends on ease of sharpening really. Somes steels like Super Blue and Cruwear and VG10 are so easy to sharpen that I enjoy going all the way to the UF stones on the sharpmaker but with the harder to sharpen steels like S110v it just isn't worth the time for me so I just finish them up on the brown stones. The middle of the road steels like S30V I either finish on the medium rods or the fine rods depending on how I feel. In general I agree that a courser edge does in fact cut better most of the time but some tree topping sharp super blue is just plain fun. I think that of the stones available from Spyderco that the brown stones produce the most functional edge.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... sh#p946791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... dge+finish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I have an EdgePro Professional with all the EP stones and the Chosera stones up to 10,000 grit.

CPM-S90V: 400 grit
CPM-S110V, CPM-S30V: 1000 grit
CPN-S35V, VG-10, CTS-XHP, CPM-M4, Cruwear, D2, M390, CTS-204P: 3000-10,000 grit

The 3000 grit Chosera stone normally produces a sharp, razor edge. It is usually quite sufficient. If I really want to get crazy while polishing an edge, I'll use the Chosera 5K and 10K grit stones, but practically speaking that's just unnecessary and frivolous.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
Knivesinedc wrote:S30v- Medium to low grit, 300-400 grit edge. S30v tends to perform better with a "toothier" edge in my experience.
VG-10- Fine grit, 800+ grit. I found that Vg-10 likes to cut finely and smoothly.
For clarification, what happens if you reverse that? If you sharpen S30V to 800 grit and VG-10 to 400 grit? If you sharpen both VG-10 and S30V to the same grit, 400 or 800, do they cut differently?
While the VG-10 cuts well with the toothier edge, S30v holds really fine razor sharp edges for a short time and then reverts to a "very sharp" edge after little use. But my Endura usually has a toothy edge on it, just cause its a utility knife mainly.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Knivesinedc wrote:... S30v holds really fine razor sharp edges for a short time and then reverts to a "very sharp" edge after little use.
And how does this compare to VG-10?
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Isn't the intended use a factor here? For example, if the blade will be used primarily for shaving wood, wouldn't an edge achieved with very fine grit abrasives, followed by stropping, such as is used for wood-cutting edge tools be appropriate? For general mixed use the medium grit abrasives suggested here are probably more appropriate and, for some slicing uses, even coarser abrasives might be good. For clarification: Which grit scales are we using in this thread?
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
Knivesinedc wrote:... S30v holds really fine razor sharp edges for a short time and then reverts to a "very sharp" edge after little use.
And how does this compare to VG-10?
Vg-10 seems to hold the razor edge longer but during that time, is a bit more prone to chipping. My edge has chipped probably twice while wearing a razor edge mostly because of personal fault. Cutting a material not really suitable for a razor edge. 1/4 cardboard :D
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Knivesinedc wrote: Vg-10 seems to hold the razor edge longer but during that time, is a bit more prone to chipping.
That is interesting, is this consistent over multiple VG-10 and S30V knives at similar angles?