Roc getting close

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JudasD

Roc getting close

Post by JudasD »

A few vendors now have the Roc up for pre-order. looks like it will be upon us very soon!!

JD
Donut

Re: Roc getting close

Post by Donut »

Nice, I've been waiting on this one. I am curious to see some "in the wild" pictures before ordering.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

havent pre orders been up for a long time on this knife?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I put my pre-order in months ago, looking forward to this one for some reason.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal had mentioned a while ago that there were some issues with the production or quality of this knife and that is why it has been delayed. That may explain why the preorders have been up for some time now.

I thought this thing was hollow ground until just recently when I was perusing the catalog and it turns out that it is saber ground. I would love to have one of these reground with a zero saber grind or scandi grind or whatever you would call it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Sal had mentioned a while ago that there were some issues with the production or quality of this knife and that is why it has been delayed. That may explain why the preorders have been up for some time now.

I thought this thing was hollow ground until just recently when I was perusing the catalog and it turns out that it is saber ground. I would love to have one of these reground with a zero saber grind or scandi grind or whatever you would call it.
Yes we got to handle one at the meet and it was saber ground. Turning that into a scandi would be very straightforward, just lay the primary on the stone and work it on both sides until the edge bevel is gone. Obviously you'd be at the mercy of the angle on the primary, and it would take a while, but it's straightforward enough to do.

I actually thought the Roc would be a bit smaller when I handled it. Definitely and interesting design.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

tvenuto wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Sal had mentioned a while ago that there were some issues with the production or quality of this knife and that is why it has been delayed. That may explain why the preorders have been up for some time now.

Yes we got to handle one at the meet and it was saber ground. Turning that into a scandi would be very straightforward, just lay the primary on the stone and work it on both sides until the edge bevel is gone. Obviously you'd be at the mercy of the angle on the primary, and it would take a while, but it's straightforward enough to do.

I actually thought the Roc would be a bit smaller when I handled it. Definitely and interesting design.
Was the blade stonewashed? Did they say how close it was to release?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Anxious to see one of these in some comparison shots with other more commonly known folders for reference...
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Was the blade stonewashed? Did they say how close it was to release?
I'd say more bead blasted, the blade was definitely a darkish matte. I don't recall exactly why they said things were delayed on this model. I think it may have just been consistency concerns in some of the pieces they'd received? Because of this, I don't think there's a definitive release date.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I've had it preordered since December, its definitely on my must have list!
-Nick :bug-red
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

Liquid Cobra wrote:havent pre orders been up for a long time on this knife?
Sorry about that. I didnt notice the pre-order until a few days ago. I must have gotten overly excited LOL

JD
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JudasD wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:havent pre orders been up for a long time on this knife?
Sorry about that. I didnt notice the pre-order until a few days ago. I must have gotten overly excited LOL

JD
No worries. Another thread about the Roc is never a bad thing!

@liquid_cobra
petrosil

Post by petrosil »

Yeah I preordered mine 14 months ago, January 4, 2014...When I saw this thread I got excited but like he said no big deal, I like to commiserate with my fellow 'waiters'.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

it was a pretty n00b move by me. <head held low in shame> I usually search for that kind of stuff before i post. One of my frequent vendors had just posted the knife for pre-sale and it was dated 3/5, so i got immediately excited and posted it here.

JD
LHamernik

Post by LHamernik »

Where's the Roc?!?! I've been eying this one for going on a year now!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

According to Sal on BladeForums the Roc should be expected around the end of the month!

@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ Nice! :D
Going back to Caly.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Roc is available on Spyderco's website!

@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

There is one, buy it now, on ebay with Spyderco pictures.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

its currently in stock at a dealer that likes carbon fiber exclusives......