If you could bring one discontinued Spyderco back?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mastiff

If you could bring one discontinued Spyderco back?

Post by mastiff »

The ATR poll thread got me thinking about all the cool Spydies that I've missed out on. I purchased my first Spyderco in January this year so I've missed a lot! I find myself looking through the discontinued section of the catalog that's on the Spyderco site often, just wishing that I'd have started sooner. I see lots of threads start up about bring this or that Spyderco back but someone always seems to come in and ask "Why, such and such is pretty close to what you want so just buy that?". I think it's nostalgia for some and for others like myself it's a chance to get what we missed out on and is unavailable either because nobody is selling them, the cost is astronomical, or you're worried you could get a fake.

Here is the question:
What one Spyderco would you want brought back that's been discontinued and what if anything (hey, you might think it was perfect to begin with) would you like to see different? Feel free to describe why you like it or if you owned it previously. It's common here to see guys saying they wish that they hadn't sold or lost a particular knife regularly. This is strictly about what you'd bring back, not criticizing someone else's pick. You know, shiny footprints and all.

Me, it would be the "S". It's just so unique and different than anything that I've ever seen. I'd like it a little larger though, a 3"-3.25" blade with 4"-4.25" handle would be awesome! The Compression Lock is great, I'd keep that the same.

So which Spydie would you guys like to see brought back?
Liquid Cobra

Re: If you could bring one discontinued Spyderco back?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Welcome to the forum. Threads like this are always fun. It's like thinking about what you would do if you won the lottery. If I won the lottery I'd order a forum elected sprint run heh heh.

In answer to your question though, I wishi could bring back the Caly3.5 in super blue. If I was around when those were released I would have bought a bunch and messed with different patinas.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Ah, without thinking it over too hard, I'll just say Breeden Rescue in Grey G10 with Aogami Super Blue, and a Compression-lock instead of liner-lock... . yep, that could make me a happy guy.
Going back to Caly.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

C22 Michael Walker and C42 Viele. Both would look great in damascus and antique ivory micarta :D I have a couple of both, but the more the merrier...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Howard Viele designs.Phoenix and Viele.Gorgeous ! :cool:
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Today I am thinking the Jess Horn. VG10, micarta with no liners, lose the swedge and FFG. Wait ... that's almost an Al Mar Falcon Ultralight with a hole in the blade ..... bring it on!

Tomorrow it will be different.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Idk that's a tough one. Probably either the Centofante 4 or Rock Lobster. Both are knives I would use a heck of a lot more if they were readily available at low prices.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Orginal bolstered C83 Schempp Persian, but with the FFG blade of the "dash 2" tactical version, without a Boye dent, and dressed in whatever wood graces this prototype...
...VG-10 would be my preferred steel, unless the folks at Moki have suddenly become more amenable to Odin's Eye Damasteel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
joe58

Post by joe58 »

C03 Hunter, upgraded steel, G10 scales with steel liners. Tip up. Man I'd be happy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpeedHoles wrote:Ah, without thinking it over too hard, I'll just say Breeden Rescue in Grey G10 with Aogami Super Blue, and a Compression-lock instead of liner-lock... . yep, that could make me a happy guy.
Yeah I would like both of Jason Breeden's models to come back>> however I would like to see both of them in Spyderedge the next time around. Why they didn't at least make the Breeden RESCUE model in Spyderedge just baffles me to no end. With the many years of success Spyderco has had with their version of the Rescue in Spyderedge I can't imagine why they wouldn't offer the Breeden Rescue in PE & SE both :confused:

There are a lot of things I liked about the Breeden Rescue design-wise but it's very limited in hard use only being available in PE :( Also the Jason Breeden model C-111 Captain has had so many requests for it's return that I have to believe at some point Spyderco is going to start taking us seriously. And it's another model that deserves a shot at Spyderedge IMO

Now from the GOLDEN ERA I would love to see the return of the Dodo and Spyderhawk models.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:.
Sorry misprint
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Salsa.
Small knife - comp lock.
Lost

Post by Lost »

First Choice: Caly 3.5 Super Blue..
Second Choice: Caly 3 VG10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

LuxN wrote:First Choice: Caly 3.5 Super Blue..
Hey I'm a lover of the entire Calypso line myself>> so don't forget the C-54 Calypso which was the first original Calypso ever made>> I think it was also the very first folder Spyderco made with VG-10 blade steel.

And I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a return of the Calypso Junior model. The Caly Jr. in ZDP-189 truly is a Classic Spyder all the way.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:Idk that's a tough one. Probably either the Centofante 4 or Rock Lobster. Both are knives I would use a heck of a lot more if they were readily available at low prices.
The Rock Lobster wasn't really around for a low price. The normal street price was almost $200. I delayed on buying one until Amazon had a crazy deal of ~$145.

That and there were some discontinued discounts on it.

I think that's one of the problems the model had. =\
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
PWork

Post by PWork »

Can I pick two? The Executive and Co-Pilot...in FFG VG-10 in either/or FRN or G-10. :cool:
Paul
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Captain in M4!
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Lost

Post by Lost »

JD Spydo wrote:
LuxN wrote:First Choice: Caly 3.5 Super Blue..
Hey I'm a lover of the entire Calypso line myself>> so don't forget the C-54 Calypso which was the first original Calypso ever made>> I think it was also the very first folder Spyderco made with VG-10 blade steel.

And I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a return of the Calypso Junior model. The Caly Jr. in ZDP-189 truly is a Classic Spyder all the way.
Can we agree that NONE of the Caly line of knives should have been discontinued? :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Ti Millie in CPM M4. I had to get rid of it to feed and buy meds for Finny when he was alive, and eat myself. I always wish I still had one and hope I would see another. A Cruwear Ti millie would be entirely adequate as well. That Ti Millie in HSS was an option for me on the "one knife for the rest of your life?" thread we've seen so many times.

I hate having to get rid of it more than most of the other knives that were forced out of my collection by life.

joe
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I would like to see the JD Smith.

I am not picky about the steel and either the hollow ground or FFG would be fine with me.