Distance makes the heart grow fonder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Distance makes the heart grow fonder

Post by Evil D »

So, I'm something like 2 months or so into my SE challenge, and one of the things I'm learning apart from how badass and useful SE can be for EDC, is that there are knives in my small collection that I'm really starting to miss a lot. Most of you would probably say that's just nonsense and I should stop the madness and carry what I want, but I'm the kind of crazy that actually appreciates times like this. I think many of us knife AFI's are very jaded, even within our own collections. I only have about a dozen or so Spyderco knives not counting my Ladybugs, and I only rotate about half of those mostly due to favoritism.

What this proves to me is how much I like those particular knives, and how right they are for me. I do the same thing with music. I'll come across a new band, really like their stuff, buy an album and play it non stop on repeat for a week or so at a time, and basically burn myself out on it and then not listen to it again for who knows how long. If I come back around to it, then I know it wasn't just a phase.

So, off the top of my head, the knives I'm really missing right now are:

1. Rock Lobster. Which is funny because I hadn't been carrying it much before the SE challenge, but it's calling my name for some reason.

2. S110V Manix 2...love that knife so much

3. Southard. Paul aka MacLaren was kind enough to gift me his stock Southard scales, so I'm planning on sanding/contouring/polishing a factory scale and then dying it black...which will hopefully give me a similar handle look as the Vallotton has. I'm really excited about the potential of this project. I'll probably work on it some tomorrow if I get time.

In other news, I've been talking with Wiley knives about having some knives serrated. I'm really wanting to have my Ulize done, but they aren't sure if they can do the Spyderco style serrations on a recurve. I'm gonna send it to them and have them look at it, and if nothing else I hope they can do just the recurve portion and do a 50/50 combo edge. If not they said they can do a single size serration pattern on the entire blade, which would be cool but I do prefer the Spyderco pattern over a single size serration. If they can't do Spyderco style serrations in a combo edge, I'll probably have them do the single style in the recurve portion. I feel like this knife has enough blade length that I can live with it being a combo edge. Otherwise, I'm also looking at picking up another Manix 2 LW in BD1 and having that full SE, then I'll have a LW of each blade type.
MacLaren

Re: Distance makes the heart grow fonder

Post by MacLaren »

Can't wait to see how the Southard turns out David.
And, those are 3 fine azz Spydies :D :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not particularly care for combo edges or recurves but they do seem to go well together. Some plain edge with a belly and a hawkbill with the serrations all in one blade. The ulize is a prime candidate for a combo edge. Great idea.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hmm...not missing the yojimbo??
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:Hmm...not missing the yojimbo??

Ya know, that's an interesting point. I haven't even carried the S90V version all that much. I think the truth is that I just prefer the Manix 2 a wee bit more than even the Yo 2. I love my wharnies but the M2's edge is straight enough that it performs about as well as a wharnie in most cases but also has enough belly to be more versatile. If I could get a Manix 2 blade in a Yo 2 handle I'd be in heaven.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

That last statement sums up why I love LEAF blades...sharpen and cut like a Wharn, but just enough belly to slice circles around the Wharn. You know this has me thinking about Sal's Caly 3...how awesome would that blade be in the same package but in a 3.5 inch package?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:That last statement sums up why I love LEAF blades...sharpen and cut like a Wharn, but just enough belly to slice circles around the Wharn. You know this has me thinking about Sal's Caly 3...how awesome would that blade be in the same package but in a 3.5 inch package?

Isn't that the Caly 3.5 or did I misread something?

I think out of all my knives, my Rock Lobster probably has my favorite blade shape.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Caly 3.5 you say...

Still can't believe it is gone, but mine is my most carried Spydie by a LONG shot. My brick and mortar has a new old stock Rock Lobster that I am going to make a run at this week.
Donut

Post by Donut »

What about that ZT thing you posted about?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Donut wrote:What about that ZT thing you posted about?
me?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:What about that ZT thing you posted about?
Eh, I'm anxious to use it but not like my others, probably because I don't yet have any relationship with it. It sits on my desk and I fondle it while watching movies lol.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I know how you feel. I've not carried a great knife for long enough I almost forget I have it. Then when I do I learn to appreciate it all over again. Right now I'm carrying the worker sprint with no desire to replace it's place with something else. I always carry one or two others but since I got the worker and for the future I don't see anything knocking it out of my pocket. But that day will come I'm sure it will get replaced with something that I get to love all over again. This is pretty cool because after a few years of buying/selling/trading knives I've got six or seven that I consider to be THE perfect EDC pocket knife. They are all different but they are all perfect for EDC. I could carry only one knife and any one of the ones on my list would be fine.

When you get to the end of your six months it'll be interesting to hear your feelings. Will some of the SE's continue to be in rotation or will they be put in the back of the drawer?

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jackknifeh wrote:
When you get to the end of your six months it'll be interesting to hear your feelings. Will some of the SE's continue to be in rotation or will they be put in the back of the drawer?

Jack
I'm pretty sure at this point I'll always carry a blade of each kind from here on unless for some reason I don't have the pocket space. In all honesty I could end the challenge now as I've learned what I feel I'm going to learn. At this point I'm just playing with sharpening techniques and staying with it just because I'm stubborn ;)