Travel Knife: Switzerland, Italy, France

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Travel Knife: Switzerland, Italy, France

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone in Spydie land know what the knife laws are like in Switzerland, Italy and France?

I am headed there for a course for 3 weeks in June. Will I be ok with a Pingo? A roadie? I have an Opinel I bought in France in the 90s but I'm not sure if that's good to go for Switzerland and Italy?

I'm assuming that my normal EDC in Idaho (Manix 2) isn't going to be kosher over there. And probably not the Chaparral or Sage 3 either. :(
elena86

Re: Travel Knife: Switzerland, Italy, France

Post by elena86 »

Try a SAK.Or a UKPK.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Pingo ain't bad
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I was in France on Monday, carried my Native and Gayle Bradley. To be honest I'm not quite sure about the laws in France and Italy but I know in both countries you can pretty much buy any knife you want (balisongs and automatics etc).

If you want to play it safe go for a slipit like a ukpk or a pits folder but to be honest if you are discrete you can carry what you want, there aren't many cops around and they're definitely not looking for pocket knife clips :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

S-Europe has much more of a knife culture than up North, France/Italy I don't think people will be easily shocked by a normal user. An Opinel should be ok almost anywhere, Switserland I presume they'd at least be ok with SAK's but I've only been there once for a few days. ;)
I think the lightweight Manix2 is a great travel knife, if you get the cheap version the risk of loosing it isn't as bad either.
(having traveled a bit I have a thing for 'traveling knives' I believe it's good to have something lightweight and affordable to replace)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Hi TomAiello,

You ask for knife laws and I try to answer as best I can do:

Italy - in cities it is generally forbidden to carry a knife; outside you need "legal reason"
France - on one side there a law saying all knives are forbidden, on the other side you need "legal reason" ... I know, an irritating situation, but it's the truth. However, one-hand-opening knives are forbidden.

I have a PDF-sheet in German language - "Travelling with a knive in Europe", but I can't do attachment here. If you are interested in it send me your Email :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Thanks everyone.

Peter, my german isn't good enough to deal with a legal pdf. But thanks for offering. :)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hey Tom, I don't know which cities you'll be visiting in France but try to look for a local "Armourie", basically hunting shops. They usually have a large amount of knives etc, you never know you might find something interesting.

Also you can't leave France without buying one of their great Laguiole knives. Have a look at these:

http://www.fontenille-pataud.com/en/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUpo- ... 257I9mCTCo
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Cool video! My only Lagouile is a cheaper one, but it's a classy shape.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I carried a Kiwi slipit and an SAK in Switzerland, Spain and France. I also picked up an Opinel or two and carried those. You can buy Opis all over Switzerland so I am sure they are safe to carry there. If you are in Paris check out couteaux courty a great knife shop.