T 6 for the clip on a PM2 ? Please confirm ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

T 6 for the clip on a PM2 ? Please confirm ...

Post by HorserloverFat »

I'm thinking about switching it to a tip up carry. Thank you in advance ...
KevinOubre

Re: T 6 for the clip on a PM2 ? Please confirm ...

Post by KevinOubre »

Yes, its a t6
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Thank you , Mr. Oubre. I just picked it up yesterday and I don't want to strip a screw like I did on my Manx 2.
Lugnutz

Post by Lugnutz »

Interesting.

My PM2, Delica 4 and Tenacious all take a T7 for the pocket clip. All 3 were purchased within the last 3 months. The PM2 was bought about 2 weeks ago. The T6 will work, but it has a lot of side to side play.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Lugnutz wrote:Interesting.

My PM2, Delica 4 and Tenacious all take a T7 for the pocket clip. All 3 were purchased within the last 3 months. The PM2 was bought about 2 weeks ago. The T6 will work, but it has a lot of side to side play.
Hmm ... I don't want to use the wrong size and therefore strip a screw. T6 or T7 ?

Just because they were recently purchased doesn't mean that they were recently manufactured, although more likely they are newer rather than older knives . What are the manufacturing dates on your knives ? Mine is " AO " which = 1/2015.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

HorserloverFat wrote:I don't want to use the wrong size and therefore strip a screw
Then best to leave the clip where Spyderco intended it to be. I see too many people write about stripping screws while messing with their knives.

And please do not swap the clip and then immediately advertise the knife for sale, in brand new condition. You move the clip, it is no longer brand new.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

T6 on both of mine (one from Jan 2012, the other from Feb 2014). I tried the T7 to see if it fit, but it was too large to drop into the slots.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Lugnutz

Post by Lugnutz »

HorserloverFat wrote:
Lugnutz wrote:Interesting.

Hmm ... I don't want to use the wrong size and therefore strip a screw. T6 or T7 ?

Just because they were recently purchased doesn't mean that they were recently manufactured, although more likely they are newer rather than older knives . What are the manufacturing dates on your knives ? Mine is " AO " which = 1/2015.
Mine is "AO" as well. Just check and see which one fits. Debating it here is pointless as we don't have your knife.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

bdblue wrote:
HorserloverFat wrote:I don't want to use the wrong size and therefore strip a screw
Then best to leave the clip where Spyderco intended it to be. I see too many people write about stripping screws while messing with their knives.

And please do not swap the clip and then immediately advertise the knife for sale, in brand new condition. You move the clip, it is no longer brand new.
I would leave it but I'm concerned that the tip down configuration on the PM2 would me more likely to open in my pocket. :eek:
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

jabba359 wrote:T6 on both of mine (one from Jan 2012, the other from Feb 2014). I tried the T7 to see if it fit, but it was too large to drop into the slots.
Roger that. Thanks.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Normally a high quality torx will fit exactly with a T6. Once you start with lower quality tools sizing is a bit hit and miss...
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I'll echo Nofair, you've got to get some quality torx drivers. I messed up a number of screws back in the day with cheap kobalt or other no name torx driver junk that aren't true to size, too big too small, they chip and strip. Now all I will use on my knives is wiha, and they have been awesome!

And yes it should be a t6.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

I own this Husky set from Home Depot : https://youtu.be/GgrFoD7WDlU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure which set to replace it with as there doesn't appear to be a consensus on which one is the best. However, there appears to be a consensus on the Husky set being inferior, so maybe any set will be an improvement.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Look up a wiha set on Amazon, German made quality with true sizing and reinforced tips. It's usually not the "bad screw" or so we like to call them....that is the reason for the stripping that occurs, it's either the soft torx driver ends or an off sized torx driver. I got a set of six drivers for about $25. It has T6,7,8,9,10,15 which is just about all I'll ever need in the knife world :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The quality of these fasteners is not all that high, but with that said, if a T7 driver or bit fits and a T6 is loose in all three of the screws, the problem is probably poor tolerances with the tool.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

spyderHS08 wrote:Look up a wiha set on Amazon, German made quality with true sizing and reinforced tips. It's usually not the "bad screw" or so we like to call them....that is the reason for the stripping that occurs, it's either the soft torx driver ends or an off sized torx driver. I got a set of six drivers for about $25. It has T6,7,8,9,10,15 which is just about all I'll ever need in the knife world :)
Would you mind sending me a link ? Thanks in advance ... :)