ATR Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

ATR: Holes or No Holes

Holes
89%
No Holes
11%

Total votes: 62

MattM68

Re: ATR Poll

Post by MattM68 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:4 holes please.
It seems like almost everyone wants the holes, so now we have to figure out how many! I really thought the poll would have been more even. Sal said it was about 50/50.

Matt
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Well maybe our opinion will change once we see the holeless version shown at the A'dam meet.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Well maybe our opinion will change once we see the holeless version shown at the A'dam meet.
I'm sure we'll all love it no matter what the final version looks like, holes or not. I just feel that the majority of us think the ATR needs the holes to truly be an ATR. I trust Sal. :D

Matt
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Would like to see a G-10 version........with or without holes (reserve my judgment until I see the Amsterdam pics) and the slimmer hood
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ManixFan wrote:Would like to see a G-10 version........with or without holes (reserve my judgment until I see the Amsterdam pics) and the slimmer hood
Last week it was pretty hard making it until Sunday, this week is worse. I'll have to do a better job teaching my kids patience than my parents did with me.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Framelock G10 ATR with Tuff/lil temp style divets(holes) in the G10?? Anyone?? :D

As for the OP's question....it's gotta have some holes to be an ATR.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

spydieh0le wrote:One hole per finger. So 4!
Yes agree. I much prefer the less cluttered look of the Ti ATR with its fewer holes compared to the shotgun massacre that is the VG10 SS version. :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I voted for the holes. The atr at the meet did not have them and something seemd very wrong about that look. :) for the rest that production prototype was just great for me!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Better question is cobra hood or no cobra hood - I say no.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

spyderHS08 wrote:Framelock G10 ATR with Tuff/lil temp style divets(holes) in the G10?? Anyone?? :D

As for the OP's question....it's gotta have some holes to be an ATR.
I certainly hope not, those divots on the Tuff were a real turn off for me........ugly as ****. :(
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Holes (5?) and Cobra hood, wire clip and I would prefer a non hollow grind but I doubt that will catch on if everybody wants a somewhat old school ATR. ;)
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:The SS ones do have 6 big holes, but also those 5 little ones too...

An ATR without holes is like a Spyderco blade without a hole, blasphemous! ;) :D. Cheers, Radioactive :)
Radioactive thanks for supplying the photo. After thinking about it for a moment with the photo handy, how about four holes for a clean look but larger than the four in the original?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MattM68 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Well maybe our opinion will change once we see the holeless version shown at the A'dam meet.
I'm sure we'll all love it no matter what the final version looks like, holes or not. I just feel that the majority of us think the ATR needs the holes to truly be an ATR.
I feel exactly the same way Matt>> Because when they brought back the "R" model in a completely different style and format it really turned me off. If you're going to do a Sprint Run of an older classic model they do it the way it was originally intended for crying out loud.

And I would also prefer that they do the Titanium ATR instead of the stainless handled version. The ATR is another great one from the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD Spydo wrote:I feel exactly the same way Matt>> Because when they brought back the "R" model in a completely different style and format it really turned me off. If you're going to do a Sprint Run of an older classic model they do it the way it was originally intended for crying out loud.

And I would also prefer that they do the Titanium ATR instead of the stainless handled version. The ATR is another great one from the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS.
I can understand this position. If I had fallen in love with the skeletonized handle R, I probably would have been disappointed when the Nishijin version was announced since it was such a departure. However, having gone the other way, I can see now how I have two different options for the R, each with the same ergos but with a unique feel. I think it's a good thing, truth be told. However, I also voted for holes in the G10 to harken back to the old ATR, even if they're smaller and don't serve to lighten the handle much.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I would really like natural ('ghost jade') G10 scales with holes, 5 might work best for me to really make it a different edition again.
A titanium version would probably also have a lot going for it..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:I feel exactly the same way Matt>> Because when they brought back the "R" model in a completely different style and format it really turned me off. If you're going to do a Sprint Run of an older classic model they do it the way it was originally intended for crying out loud.

I can understand this position. If I had fallen in love with the skeletonized handle R, I probably would have been disappointed when the Nishijin version was announced since it was such a departure. However, having gone the other way, I can see now how I have two different options for the R, each with the same ergos but with a unique feel. I think it's a good thing, truth be told. However, I also voted for holes in the G10 to harken back to the old ATR, even if they're smaller and don't serve to lighten the handle much.
It's not so much that I have an intense love of skeletonized handles as much as it is to keep it as it was originally intended. Because when they did the "R" late on with a solid handle it just made it a completely different model all together>> and one I didn't like at all :( .

And that original "R" was such a brilliant piece of work and was done so much better than even any of those "Q" models that it just stood out in a class all by itself. And "tvenuto" if you ever owned or got to check out the original "R" fist hand I think you would immediately see where I'm coming from. Now concerning the holes in a Sprint Run of the ATR>>> again I always want to see Sprint Runs either like they were to begin with which gave them their initial appeal and popularity. Or in another objective viewpoint as in the case of the Sprint Ayoob they used a far better handle material than was used on the original which made me even love the more so. Vast improvement or making it an even far better model that it was originally I'm always in favor of>> especially if it's going to be a user.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD Spydo wrote:It's not so much that I have an intense love of skeletonized handles as much as it is to keep it as it was originally intended. Because when they did the "R" late on with a solid handle it just made it a completely different model all together>> and one I didn't like at all :( .

And that original "R" was such a brilliant piece of work and was done so much better than even any of those "Q" models that it just stood out in a class all by itself. And "tvenuto" if you ever owned or got to check out the original "R" fist hand I think you would immediately see where I'm coming from. Now concerning the holes in a Sprint Run of the ATR>>> again I always want to see Sprint Runs either like they were to begin with which gave them their initial appeal and popularity. Or in another objective viewpoint as in the case of the Sprint Ayoob they used a far better handle material than was used on the original which made me even love the more so. Vast improvement or making it an even far better model that it was originally I'm always in favor of>> especially if it's going to be a user.
I see what you're saying as I said. I don't have the original R, but I do have the second version with the skeletonized handle and solid blade. What I'm saying is that I do like the nishijin version even though they're different knives, and I probably only discovered this because I got the nishijin one first. Maybe some view peel ply G10 as an improvement in material like you viewed the change in the Ayoob as positive?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That original Titanium ATR with the four holes in the scales to me was one of the paramount models from the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2003 and it was even difficult to get one even when they were in the main line up. AS I said in a previous thread it took me about a year before I was able to get one at all. And to prove how much most people treasured the original Titanium ATR just look at what they are selling for today compared to the stainless ATR models.

The ATR more or less defined a pivotal era in Spyderco's design evolution and it also sort of set the format for many other house designs in the next 5 years or so after it was discontinued. In one sense the holes could be viewed as strictly aesthetic but when I briefly owned a user Ti ATR I seen how much they increased the grip of the handle as well as the properties of the titanium itself>> it was much superior in grip and handling to the stainless ATR in my humble opinion.

It was and still is one of Spyderco's true iconic, one of kind, stand alone models that virtually no other knife company could compare with. And one major thing I loved about the Ti ATR>> YES!! they made them in PE & Spyderedge>> those days seem to be going in the wrong direction :confused: . But that ATR in Spyderedge was truly a mean cutter.

Oh TVENUTO!! I totally agree with you last post ;) And I do appreciate you admiration of many of those past models>> it's really refreshing to hear that there is a growing fan base for models like the ATR and others.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Keep the holes. I like the pattern in the stainless version a lot, though the Ti version is a little more subdued and may appeal to more.

And yes, as for the old clip, destroy it. Burn it. Bury it. Then bomb it. Then disavow any knowledge that it ever existed, and create a secret society to ensure no one ever finds out the truth. Finally, add a wire clip.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PayneTrain wrote:Keep the holes. I like the pattern in the stainless version a lot, though the Ti version is a little more subdued and may appeal to more.

And yes, as for the old clip, destroy it. Burn it. Bury it. Then bomb it. Then disavow any knowledge that it ever existed, and create a secret society to ensure no one ever finds out the truth. Finally, add a wire clip.
I've always thought that the clip off the old GUNTING model would be ideal for the Ti ATR. As far as wire clips go I've yet to find one I like as much as I do on my user Dodo model.

But don't let something as mundane as a pocketclip spray water on this parade because the more I read this thread the more I would like to see a new Ti ATR. I truly do think it's high time for the Great Spyder Factory to revamp their pocketclips and to some degree their locking systems as well.

But again I never had a pocketclip I've liked as much as I did on the GUNTING model. Also if you like the blade on the ATR but you feel it's a bit more blade that you want to take on just remember the Jester model ( which was a ladybug sized model) had a blade style exactly like the ATR. Check it out I think you all will be amazed :)