question regarding factory seconds??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
systemofadown

question regarding factory seconds??

Post by systemofadown »

Hey guy's, from time to time people pop up selling the factory 2nds. I know they are not perfect (sometimes blimished in an imperceptible way) & sold at a lesser cost with no warranties with a nick on the blade around the spider- hole to differentiate them from firsts. My question is what do you think is a fair price for blemished Militarys? To be more precise satin/ black G-10 & the DLC coated versions. I know this is a tough topic & I'm not knocking sellers of seconds - just want some info on what's fair in the market ;)
Thanks guy's :)
Bradley

Re: question regarding factory seconds??

Post by Bradley »

I've never bought a second, either from the sfo or online. I haven't even looked up prices for a military second. I feel like paying $60-$90 for one would be fair. Just my opinion. :) Obviously even cheaper would be ideal!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own a PM2 second and I honestly can't tell why it's a second.
systemofadown

Post by systemofadown »

Around $60 - $90 sounds about right to me too. I see military 2nd's going for around $115 average but just can't ever pull the trigger being that for a few bucks more I could pick a first up.
The basic reason I consider 2nds in the first place is to have a real user that won't hurt the wallet & the fact that If its a second I won't baby it so much :)
Any ideas on where & when to pick up a second at a good price?

Thanks Bradley :) I figured out what SFO stood ;)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I got a Cruwear Military at the seconds sale for $60. I would say that $50 would be the original price for factory second S30V Militaries.

As for where to get them, they are sold in November at the SFO. I camped out this year (got there the night before the sale around 5:30) and I made it in the first group in. They let you buy up to 25 factory seconds. Deals are incredible--this year saw $50 204P PM2s, $80 S90V PM2s, $55 Forum Native 5s, etc.
systemofadown

Post by systemofadown »

Now I'm really glad I never jumped on a second - I'd be sick to know I paid over double :(
Maybe one day I can visit CO - 25 2nds would last me a few lifetimes :)
Thanks for the info guy's ;)
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

On an AR forum I visit, seconds go for $10 off MSP. Fools buy them. You'll also see them on Fleabay not listed as seconds.
Always looking for the right one :)
systemofadown

Post by systemofadown »

I know the exact knives you're speaking of, there the same ones that they got me thinking ;)
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Has anyone picked up an "factory seconds" Double stuff stones??? I see they are separated which is no big deal but what would make them "seconds"? Bad manufacturing/molding? Discolored? or what?

I am afraid to get one that is not up to par, stone grit wise to do its job like a normal stock one!

I asked this on Spyderco's Facebook page quite a while ago but didn't get any answers!

Thx.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

sir_mike wrote:Has anyone picked up an "factory seconds" Double stuff stones??? I see they are separated which is no big deal but what would make them "seconds"? Bad manufacturing/molding? Discolored? or what?

I am afraid to get one that is not up to par, stone grit wise to do its job like a normal stock one!

I asked this on Spyderco's Facebook page quite a while ago but didn't get any answers!

Thx.
I have some. All of the ones I've seen have either too much glue holding the stones together (unsightly) or the stones are not lined up parallel to each other.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
sir_mike wrote:Has anyone picked up an "factory seconds" Double stuff stones??? I see they are separated which is no big deal but what would make them "seconds"? Bad manufacturing/molding? Discolored? or what?

Thx.
I have some. All of the ones I've seen have either too much glue holding the stones together (unsightly) or the stones are not lined up parallel to each other.
The ones I am looking at are separate pieces so what might be the problem with them? One each grit but are not glued so they are probably "seconds" on the individual grits. Just a guess though!
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

systemofadown wrote:Now I'm really glad I never jumped on a second - I'd be sick to know I paid over double :(
Maybe one day I can visit CO - 25 2nds would last me a few lifetimes :)
Thanks for the info guy's ;)
Don't get too down. Golden and his group were the first in and got some of the best deals. It's not like there were buckets of 204p PMs for everyone.

A good rule of thumb is that the seconds (no matter what they are) are priced at about 75% off Spyderco's MSRP. If you see a second for sale around that it's a fair price. The really desirable sprints and rare knives still fetch a premium but if you see someone selling a PM2 second for $90, they are probably making $40 on it. I don't mind seconds resellers as long as the price reflects the condition and it is clear stated it is a second.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.