The 2015 meet.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: The 2015 meet.

Post by SpeedHoles »

DutchBlades wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:So it sounds like Compression-lock will be implemented on quite a broad variety of new knives?

Anything about the Military with Stop-lock? Or any other model with that lock?
Yes, Sal mentioned there will be more knives with the compression lock :D
And there was 1 knife with a functional stop-lock, so I bet there will be a production run in the near future!

VERY cool! Thanks for that news.
We're any of them Integrated into the frame like the ATR, or were they all liner based Compression-locks?

Thanks for all of your quick replies here. Hope you don't feel like you're getting drilled.
But, speaking a bit about all kinds of new Flippers... were they all Flippers using a RIL or liner-lock? Or were any of the Flippers utilizing a different sort of lock?
Going back to Caly.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

SpeedHoles wrote:
DutchBlades wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:So it sounds like Compression-lock will be implemented on quite a broad variety of new knives?

Anything about the Military with Stop-lock? Or any other model with that lock?
Yes, Sal mentioned there will be more knives with the compression lock :D
And there was 1 knife with a functional stop-lock, so I bet there will be a production run in the near future!

VERY cool! Thanks for that news.
We're any of them Integrated into the frame like the ATR, or were they all liner based Compression-locks?

Thanks for all of your quick replies here. Hope you don't feel like you're getting drilled.
But, speaking a bit about all kinds of new Flippers... were they all Flippers using a RIL or liner-lock? Or were any of the Flippers utilizing a different sort of lock?
There was atleast one model with an intergrated ATR style lock and a knife that will closely resemble the ATR to say the least :D
As far as I know all the flippers I held had a liner or framelock, there might have been one with a different kind that doesn't pop up in my mind right now; but if it does, I'll give you an update on it ;) And I'm glad to be able to help some people overcome the week of waiting on pictures by keeping them informed and entertained with updates ;) I would be one of the people throwing questions at everyone myself if I wasn't there :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ok I lied. Another question. Care to describe this ATR-like knife a bit more?

Apologies for so many questions. This feels like waking up on Xmas morning only to find out it was pushed back a week+1 day.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Ok I lied. Another question. Care to describe this ATR-like knife a bit more?

Apologies for so many questions. This feels like waking up on Xmas morning only to find out it was pushed back a week+1 day.
It's ok, can't blame you for being curious!
It had G10 scales and I believe it had s30v, but could be something like vg-10 aswell...
There were no ATR holes, but they might be added and it had the compression lock ofcourse.
Bladeshape was similar and from what I could see, it seemed like a production proto,
so if it were to be released, it wouldn't be a super long time from now! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Awwwwww yeah that's the stuff. Thanks dutchblades.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

An ATR with NO HOLES?!? :eek: :confused:
You say G10 scales, as in plural, but said it had Frame integrated Compression Lock? Or did you mean only 1 G10 scale?
Was it FFG, or Saber grind?
Removeable Cobra Hood?

When you are looking at these prototypes I'm assuming they are all unmarked, but do they let you know or clue you in on where each one will be produced, or is this not discussed?

Did you get to see or handle any of the new Stretches? Or Super Gold or HAP40 Delicas? What color was the FRN / G10?

Were there any Paramilitary'ish cousins there that might let's say, be legal in regions where there is a 3" blade limit??

And sepaking of no Lum Tanto... I know it's seemingly kind of "out" right now, but were there any Tantos?

Just met me know if questions become too intrusive, I don't know what they want revealed or not...
Going back to Caly.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Awwwwww yeah that's the stuff. Thanks dutchblades.
You're welcome!
SpeedHoles wrote:An ATR with NO HOLES?!? :eek: :confused:
You say G10 scales, as in plural, but said it had Frame integrated Compression Lock? Or did you mean only 1 G10 scale?
Was it FFG, or Saber grind?
Removeable Cobra Hood?

When you are looking at these prototypes I'm assuming they are all unmarked, but do they let you know or clue you in on where each one will be produced, or is this not discussed?

Did you get to see or handle any of the new Stretches? Or Super Gold or HAP40 Delicas? What color was the FRN / G10?

Were there any Paramilitary'ish cousins there that might let's say, be legal in regions where there is a 3" blade limit??

And sepaking of no Lum Tanto... I know it's seemingly kind of "out" right now, but were there any Tantos?

Just met me know if questions become too intrusive, I don't know what they want revealed or not...
From what I remember it had the same style of a lock and scales as the pm and I didn't check it the hood was removable; but I'm pretty sure it was or will be for preference of the customer.
As far as release dates go, there were quite allot of knives that are being released in a short amount of time, but I won't be going into too much detail on the dates... I'd hate it if people would be let down if the date gets a little later and I don't want to be giving that information if it could be incorrect or unwanted to be shared in the first place... I'll give info where I can, but I'm playing it safe on some parts to avoid standing in the way of Spyderco.

The pm's cousin was a little smaller, but I don't think it was sub 3" though... And sadly no new delica or stretch models. But that might be in store at the next meet!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The ATR had no holes but that was not decided yet, G10 scales on both sides and the same bladegrind/cobrahood as my ss ATR has as far as I could see.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

That's awesome they kept the Cobra Hood!

So, it sounds like the Compression-lock on that ATR is not a Frame integrated style like it was on original ATR, but more so a liner style like PM.
Going back to Caly.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Yes, pretty much and the holes in handle question was still open, believe it was planned as a sprint.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I can't quite picture it in my head but it sounds nice. G10 on an ATR was asked for by a lot of people in the ATR sprint thread. Im very eager to see this thing. Hopefully it's one of the knives Wouter can show us.

This is a bombshell! :eek:

@liquid_cobra
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Didn't someone mention a new Manix type knife? Is there any information on that?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

exciting times in Spyderville! cant wait to see some more photo's!!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

DougC-3 wrote:Didn't someone mention a new Manix type knife? Is there any information on that?
There's the XL in moonglow and there is a new Manix... I don't know if I can discuss it, but it's a Manix that looks like the Manix we all know and love, but it doesn't function in the same way ;)
Enigma wrote:exciting times in Spyderville! cant wait to see some more photo's!!
Even though I saw and handled them, I'm curious about the photo's aswell :D The Magnitude will be on my grail list for sure!
Liquid Cobra wrote:I can't quite picture it in my head but it sounds nice. G10 on an ATR was asked for by a lot of people in the ATR sprint thread. Im very eager to see this thing. Hopefully it's one of the knives Wouter can show us.

This is a bombshell! :eek:
It was close to being finished from what I could see, but the photo will be without the holes. It would still be a knife that sells regardless of the holes, but an ATR needs them :D
Last edited by DutchBlades on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Glad someone else dropped the ATR bombshell....There will be a lot of folks happy when that finally bubbles to the surface :)

And I believe the consensus (at least as I heard it) was "An ATR needs HOLES!"
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So if the one shown has no holes, but everyone wants holes, will this be pushed back into development? Curious if this was/is going to be released this year.

Hot dang am I excited!

@liquid_cobra
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Liquid Cobra wrote:So if the one shown has no holes, but everyone wants holes, will this be pushed back into development? Curious if this was/is going to be released this year.

Hot dang am I excited!
Sal mentioned it was still a work in progress. The holes were one of the questions he had for the ATR. Obviously the majority voted for the holes :D Atleast from whom I talked to about it.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

sal

Post by sal »

Holes vs no holes on the ATR was 50 / 50.

sal
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx Sal for the info! Then I will tip the balance, holes please :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hmm. No holes would keep the manufacturing costs down right? Is that the only reason not to have them?

@liquid_cobra