Chokwe poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a Chokwe sprint run?

No absolutely not! :mad:
41%
Yes I would! :)
59%

Total votes: 44

di81ni

Chokwe poll

Post by di81ni »

I'm trying to gather some support for a Chokwe sprint run in a nice steel and maybe a fancy scale.
Figured now is the time because soon we'll be flooded with all the new models in Wouter's thread.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Chokwe poll

Post by apollo »

I voted not.
The chokwe is a nice blade but a sprint would be to soon. Chokwes are still for sale all over the place. (I also think that the model is just not populair enough otherwise the old chokwes must have bin long gone by now. )

At the meet yesterday i also found enough knives that are ten times as good and beautyfull as the chokwe.
So i rather see them come out faster in production then wait longer so taichung could build the chokwe again first.
Just my 2 cents. :)
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

Fair enough. That's probably how most people feel. Still, I think it's one of the most under appreciated models in recent history, and maybe some people would be tempted if it had a 'better' steel.
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

And I was at the meet as well, but there's just nothing that really compares to the Chokwe. It's just so nice and slim and pointy :D
apollo

Post by apollo »

The chokwe is indeed under appreciated. It is a very fine knife.
I would make a sprint of it in a year or 2. By then all the old ones are gone an there will be many new spydercolovers that never had the chance to handle one. That combined with a new steel could make a good seller. :) ( At the meet there also was enough s90v to see maybe a sign for the future? :D)

(Then again i hope for you that many vote yes and the sprint will be a faqt because we all are brothers on this forum and we all want the knives we love come out or come back first ;) )
apollo

Post by apollo »

di81ni wrote:And I was at the meet as well, but there's just nothing that really compares to the Chokwe. It's just so nice and slim and pointy :D
I guess you also love the DesHorn then? ;)
And you are indeed correct there was no "chokwe" type model. The closest thing was the swayback in my opinion.
But still we had a whole bunch of super models come true are hands didnt we ;)
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

apollo wrote:The chokwe is indeed under appreciated. It is a very fine knife.
I would make a sprint of it in a year or 2. By then all the old ones are gone an there will be many new spydercolovers that never had the chance to handle one. That combined with a new steel could make a good seller. :) ( At the meet there also was enough s90v to see maybe a sign for the future? :D)

(Then again i hope for you that many vote yes and the sprint will be a faqt because we all are brothers on this forum and we all want the knives we love come out or come back first ;) )
Doesn't sound like a 'No absolutely not' to me, maybe you should rethink your vote? ;)
apollo

Post by apollo »

I could only pick absolutely not because there was not a normal no :p.
And you have a point. I do like the chokwe i love all spyderco's framelocks :)
(Also i can not change my vote in this poll ;). )
But i would not do it eitherway. But if you would post this topic again in a year or 2 i would say yes. :)

I think the point why i said no is just the selling faqt and i only want spyderco to be strong and healthy ;) also a little extra reason is if spyderco brings out to much at ones i will never be able to by a house because then i got down payments with spyderco already XD
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As I said in the other post, yes but depends on the steel and I'd really prefer a lock bar insert. I'd actually be fine with S30V if I just had that. I wouldn't even mind this one in VG10.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like the Chokwe a lot, but I can think of other models I'd rather see get a sprint with upgraded steel.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

I agree with evilD; steel lockbar insert!

By the way if it could i would prefer if the cut out for the framelock is on the outer side of the framelock, not inner side like now.

Btw i voted yes, chokwe sprint would be cool, but not now! I would love me new models first :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Seems kind of soon for a Chokwe sprint, not to mention there are many others I would like to see before a new Chokwe. That said, I don't know that I'm comfortable with the "no absolutely not" poll option because I would be open to it someday.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Perhaps a carbon fiber scale? Liner delete? I would love to see a over travel stop as well as a steel liner insert. Blade steel doesn't matter too too much.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Neither poll option fit my reply. I would also say yes, but not yet.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted YES but I do want to add some stipulations as to what I would really like to see if the CHOKWE were to return. First and foremost I definitely would like to see it with another blade steel other than S30V which is one of the reasons I never got one to begin with.

And maybe do something a bit different with the handle as well. The Chokwe reminds me so much of the JD Smith model to where it makes it impossible for me not to like it. It truly was a great blade design and I'm also wondering if a fixed blade version wouldn't be cool as well.

And to be sort of redundant I still would like to see one perform in Spyderedge.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I voted yes as well, but fully agree with other comments that a Chokwe sprint would be pretty low on the priority list right now.

JD, I don't think they can tweak the handle too much and still call it a "Chokwe", it'd be likely only a steel and scale material change. Of course having a Spyder-edged version would be a must! ;) :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

1. yes but not this soon
2. an M4/SB or steel that takes patina perhaps?
3. lock bar insert like Evil D mentioned
4. Natural G10 pretty please
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I voted yes as well, but fully agree with other comments that a Chokwe sprint would be pretty low on the priority list right now.

JD, I don't think they can tweak the handle too much and still call it a "Chokwe", it'd be likely only a steel and scale material change. Of course having a Spyder-edged version would be a must! ;) :D
Yes sir, a SE Chokwe sprint would be epic! Make it in M4 and I'd buy one today. :)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

twinboysdad wrote:1. yes but not this soon
2. an M4/SB or steel that takes patina perhaps?
3. lock bar insert like Evil D mentioned
4. Natural G10 pretty please

Ditto, I like that.

Don't feel the need for lockbar insert,.but wouldn't be against one.
Going back to Caly.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Haven't voted, neither option is very good for me. I love the design of the Chokwe but I think commercially speaking it would make more sense to wait a few years before making a sprint. At this moment it would depend on what the sprint version would be like wether I might buy it, the original is already not being used so I would need a very good excuse to buy another. (it would be a nice user though)

Maybe for a sprint now something like a small 3" version would work?