My Complete Collection - One a Day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: My Complete Collection - One a Day

Post by gbelleh »

By now, I was committed to getting all Spyderco Ed Schempp designs, so I got this Rock Salt. I don't usually have much of a need for large fixed blades, so I haven't used this knife too much. But I have used it a couple times for yard work, and once for pumpkin carving.

Knife # 48 - August 2010.

:bug-red-white
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got this Dragonfly Tattoo. The graphic is kind of textured, and interesting to look at. It's a very nice knife, but with so many options, I haven't carried this one too much. But I have carried it some, and I still keep it in my office, and use it from time to time.

Knife # 49 - August 2010.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next was a black G-10, VG-10 Caly 3.5. I knew pretty much what to expect with this one, already liking the Caly 3 a lot. I eventually sold this one after getting the CF and Super Blue versions of the 3.5.

Knife # 50 - August 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next, was this brown, SE Matriarch sprint. I wanted to get in on this before they were gone. I did plan to carry this one occasionally, but I usually go with the Civilian when a large, serrated, reverse s blade is needed.

Knife # 51 - August 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Also got this PE brown Matriarch sprint to go along with the SE.

Knife # 52 - August 2010.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

gbelleh wrote:Next was a black G-10, VG-10 Caly 3.5. I knew pretty much what to expect with this one, already liking the Caly 3 a lot. I eventually sold this one after getting the CF and Super Blue versions of the 3.5.

Knife # 50 - August 2010.
Miss it or are you happy with the other versions?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm at peace with it. I have 5 other Caly 3 or 3.5 models, and the black VG-10 model went to a good home.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I found this NIB G-10 Poliwog on a forum for a very reasonable price. This is another one of those models that looked absurd to me at first, but I then grew to really like. And it's very comfortable in hand. About the only thing I don't like about it is how wide it is when closed. I also really like the uncaged BBL.

Knife # 53 - August 2010.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next was another very reasonable forum purchase: this Native 3. The handle is very comfortable and hand filling in use, but a little thicker in the pocket than I usually like. So, I never ended up carrying this one much. But it's a nice knife, and I'm very glad to have it in the Native collection. I always thought Sal's mark molded into the handle was pretty cool too. The handle is well designed for comfort.

Knife # 54 - August 2010.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next was another forum purchase, this time a Delica 3. Another nice knife, and I especially like the sharp point. But, the refinements of the Delica 4 cause me to usually carry one of those over this one.

Knife # 55 - August 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next, I came across a small gun shop with quite a large selection of knives. They had a few long discontinued Spydies, and they were willing to negotiate. So, I got a few good deals on some new old stock items there. First is this Toad. I do enjoy having this one in the collection, but I find many other knives much more practical for actual carry and use.

Knife # 56 - September 2010. Image

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That knife is too funny. It looks as though the blade is about the same as the blade on the dog tag folder but with a "huge" handle. Curious to see what else this gun shop had. I love stories like that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Liquid Cobra wrote:That knife is too funny. It looks as though the blade is about the same as the blade on the dog tag folder but with a "huge" handle. Curious to see what else this gun shop had. I love stories like that.
Yeah, the handle is pretty big and thick compared to some other small knives. Here's the Toad along with the Dog Tag and Ladybug.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I also got this FRN, SE Jester from the little gun shop. I always liked the blade shape of the Jester, and jimping near the tip, so I was very pleased to find this one NIB for a great price.

Knife # 57 - September 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Also from the gun shop, I got an ATS-55, PE Merlin. Unfortunately I sold it some time later, figuring I'd never actually use it. But of course, now I wish I'd kept it. This is the only pic I could find of it.

Knife # 58 - September 2010.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I found this black G-10, ATS-55, original Lum Tanto on one of the forums. This was a grail for me at the time, and the grey sprint hadn't come out yet. I've carried and used this one quite a bit. The Lum Tanto is one of my all-time favorite Spydies.

Knife # 59 - September 2010.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Oh man that is a beautiful knife. Which would you say you prefer, the original or the sprint? For me I prefer the sprint, it's lighter and a bit nicer in my opinion.

@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's hard to say. I like them both. The sprint is a little lighter, but the blade grind on the original is a little better.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next, the red Persian sprint was released. I was sure to get this one for the Schempp collection. It's a very close match to the original, except for the red G-10, which is usually only seen on trainers. I've carried this one quite a bit, including on a weeklong road trip. It's a very nice knife.

Knife # 60 - September 2010.Image

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Great thread!