The Para 2 should only use black clips?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

The Para 2 should only use black clips?

Post by twinboysdad »

i recently grabbed a murdered out black/DLC and a digicam satin from the brick and mortar. All I can say on the difference between the two is I hate the shiny clip. When I pass a mirror it jumps out at me like a beacon. I am thinking about ordering a black clip just to remedy. I remember thinking the same about my Cruwear Millie before it went to Roger. It would have been better with a black clip. Very petty I know, but this is a forum!
bearfacedkiller

Re: The Para 2 should only use black clips?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Take some steel wool or fine sandpaper to it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I prefer the shiny clips. I used to prefer the black clips. I'm never satisfied hahaha.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Could always try the shrink wrap mod to minimize reflection by covering a large portion of the clip in black or whatever color you choose.

Reminds me, I might even try this on a black clip now just to see if it will help with wearing off the edges down to silver.
Going back to Caly.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

On the knives that have shiny clips, I usually want black clips. On the knives that have black clips, I usually want shiny clips.

I guess I'm hard to please. :rolleyes:
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Whenever I place an order from SFO I always throw in a few clips in black for knives I want to swap. My cruwear Mille looks great with the black clip.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

All my carry Para 2s get swapped with black clips. I've been calling for more black, or at least matte clips for years. I etched a wire clip that I swapped onto my Slysz Bowie, and I plan to try etching some of my shiny hourglass clips too. Does anyone have any experience with that, and how it turned out over time?
:bug-red-white
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

So apparently it is not just me...Golden, not to complicate the Para 2 process, which seems comprable to fracking oil (just kidding), but you guys can 86 the shiny clips moving forward it would seem
Noah

Post by Noah »

I almost always switch my shiny clips to black.
timlara

Post by timlara »

In general, I actually prefer the shiny aka "plain" clips for EDC over black or matte finished because they show wear / scratches less. Since I pretty much never tuck in my shirt, the clips are basically invisible in my pocket anyhow.

Addditionally, resistance to scratching (and less likelihood of scratching other stuff) is the main reason I actually prefer wire clips over all other clips.

A "stonewashed" look is a nice happy medium since it tends to age well and also tones down the "bling" factor compared to a shiny look. I wouldn't mind seeing more stonewashed finish stuff, but I imagine part of the reason we don't is that it adds extra cost / labor to the manufacturing process.

For me, it depends on the finish/color of the knife. For example, if all the screws, blade, lock parts, etc are stainless colored, and then you throw a black clip on, I think it just looks kind of out of place.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

86 the **** out of em, black clips for life!!

I just posted in the other thread about shiny clips....but I'll repeat myself in a shorter response. I think they look cheap, gas station knife to be exact lol. Also I hate the look at me affect they have. I swap to a black clip every chance I get, and if the clips not offered in black I get it blasted and coated by a friend!
Jagged77

Post by Jagged77 »

Yep, not a fan of shiney clips at all. I frequently wear black trousers and a shiney clip sticks out like a sore thumb... With living in the UK I have to be mindful of what I'm allowed to carry and under what circumstances, so the less attention I can draw the better.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

two words. Shrinkable tube.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Black always scratches. I like to take the shiny clip and acid etch it. Then you get a muted color, and when it scratches it gets a cool natural stone wash to it.

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

^^^daddy like
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah that looks awesome David.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That looks pretty good when worn. I've been planning to etch some of my clips, but wasn't sure how they'd look over time. But IMO, that looks way better than a worn black clip, and better than a shiny clip.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Thanks guys, that clip has been on about 4 different knives now, it's my favorite clip. It started out a long time ago with a tan ceramic paint which didn't hold up well at all, so I stripped the paint off and acid etched it, and it left some tan filled in the spydie, which I thought was kinda cool so I left it in there. The acid etching didn't remove it either, so it's still tan inside. It has gotten progressively more scratched over the years.

MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

That acid etched clip looks amazing! What would I need in order to do something like that? I'd prefer that to a shiny clip or black clip.

In regards to the Para 2 only using black clips, I disagree. I think the way it is now is perfect. Black clips with black blades, shiny clip with satin blades. I really do like the black clips though. The only black clip I dislike is the Delica/Endura clip. The paint seems to come off extremely fast.

Matt
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

MattM68 wrote:That acid etched clip looks amazing! What would I need in order to do something like that? I'd prefer that to a shiny clip or black clip.

In regards to the Para 2 only using black clips, I disagree. I think the way it is now is perfect. Black clips with black blades, shiny clip with satin blades. I really do like the black clips though. The only black clip I dislike is the Delica/Endura clip. The paint seems to come off extremely fast.

Matt
I'm with you Matt. It's easy enough to swap the clip out if you want a black one.

@liquid_cobra