Dear Deacon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Dear Deacon

Post by twinboysdad »

I have to go to Greenville for a week, business related...how serious are they about the 3 inch knife law?
twinboysdad

Re: Dear Deacon

Post by twinboysdad »

Went ahead and grabbed a Kiwi 4, totally using Greenville knife laws as the reason! "Honey, would you rather me end up in jail? I needed this for my trip". Now the question is can I write this off as a business expense?!?
timlara

Post by timlara »

LOL, played like a true knife knut! Well done, sir! :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

@twinboysdad,

I see what you did there. Very clever. ;) My wife would likely veto that logic with something like, "Why no, Honey, I don't want to see you end up in jail. That's why you should just leave all your knives at home." :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Your wife honestly thinks you might leave the house without a knife? The horror! ;) My wife knows better now than even to ask how many I have on me at any given time (the average is 3)...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Your wife honestly thinks you might leave the house without a knife? The horror! ;) My wife knows better now than even to ask how many I have on me at any given time (the average is 3)...
Haha! Nah, you're right. My wife knows better than that too. ; ) She just likes to razz me sometimes. It's funny, but I usually carry three knives too (except for the weekends).
swigert

Post by swigert »

I've turned into a 3 knife guy also. I didn't hunk I would but I did.

I like a traditional folder, a Spyderco folder and a fixed blade. For the fixed blade something small and horizontal appendix carry.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

my family lives in Greenville and I've never really worried about it with a 3.25-3.5 . in the state of SC a knife is NOT a weapon unless in your possession during the commission of a crime. Knife was removed from "weapon" in 2008
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

twinboysdad wrote:I have to go to Greenville for a week, business related...how serious are they about the 3 inch knife law?
I agree with Popsickle. Unless the knife is discovered while you're being arrested for something else, there's really nothing to worry about. Still, I almost always choose to respect the city's 3" limit out of an abundance of caution. And, while I've never used it as an excuse for buying one, it's a great excuse to give some of my sub 3" folders pocket time. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Popsickle wrote:my family lives in Greenville and I've never really worried about it with a 3.25-3.5 . in the state of SC a knife is NOT a weapon unless in your possession during the commission of a crime. Knife was removed from "weapon" in 2008
I wish NC would follow your lead. I hate NC's vague knife laws. But I do strictly comply with blade length limits (as best I can interpret them, anyway).
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Knutty wrote:
Popsickle wrote:my family lives in Greenville and I've never really worried about it with a 3.25-3.5 . in the state of SC a knife is NOT a weapon unless in your possession during the commission of a crime. Knife was removed from "weapon" in 2008
I wish NC would follow your lead. I hate NC's vague knife laws. But I do strictly comply with blade length limits (as best I can interpret them, anyway).
South Carolina allows each county and city to regulate knife law, and a police officer will be the first to tell you its ridiculous. I took the time to call all of the surrounding county and city police around my area and while each one had different length laws, etc..... they all said they wouldn't give you a second look as long as you weren't committing a crime or threatening someone. I know that knife rights is trying to get states like South Carolina to make statewide laws that govern knives as opposed to what we have
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

My fear isn't police per se but that some day I'll have to use a knife in self defense, and some prosecutor will nail me to the wall for having a blade 0.1" over the "legal limit". I'm not sure how that interplays with self defense scenarios though. To me, if you're legitimately defending yourself, it shouldn't matter whether you do so with a pen cap or a samurai sword. I should probably speak to an attorney, although my guess is if you talk to 10 of them, you'll get 10 different flavors of responses.

I actually measure the blade of each knife I own, and have a chart listing their exact lengths. The blade length of any knife can actually vary a tiny bit from unit to unit, depending on how they ground the tip. I have a translucent ruler I use to measure. You could say I'm paranoid. :)
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Knutty wrote:My fear isn't police per se but that some day I'll have to use a knife in self defense, and some prosecutor will nail me to the wall for having a blade 0.1" over the "legal limit". I'm not sure how that interplays with self defense scenarios though. To me, if you're legitimately defending yourself, it shouldn't matter whether you do so with a pen cap or a samurai sword. I should probably speak to an attorney, although my guess is if you talk to 10 of them, you'll get 10 different flavors of responses.

I actually measure the blade of each knife I own, and have a chart listing their exact lengths. The blade length of any knife can actually vary a tiny bit from unit to unit, depending on how they ground the tip. I have a translucent ruler I use to measure. You could say I'm paranoid. :)
In today's America, that's certainly a legitimate concern. It may not even be the prosecutor, per se, it may be pressure put on him by organizations, or by the White House, to turn the perpetrator in a legitimate case of self defense into the victim of a racially motivated hate crime.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

But......its still much better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6. At least that's how I look at it.
paladin

Post by paladin »

MacLaren wrote:But......its still much better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6. At least that's how I look at it.
true-- to a certain extent...

there are fates worth than death, IMHO
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

paladin wrote:
MacLaren wrote:But......its still much better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6. At least that's how I look at it.
true-- to a certain extent...

there are fates worth than death, IMHO
Lol, I cannot deny that :)
Seriously though that's very true...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Where I live the police don't worry about strict knife laws so I can carry anything I own without worry. I don't have any 4" blade folders. My GB or Stretch are safe from confiscation. That is where I live. But I do believe in observing the laws about knife carry when traveling. So when I go on my state-to-state killing sprees I try never to carry an illegal pocket knife. :)

Jack
chloe

Post by chloe »

I carry a Orange Military everyday, now, I never leave Manhattan, and no Cop has ever said one thing to me having it clipped to my pants...they are not about to hassle a girl.

Well at least for the knife...coming home to the Waldorf, one night hammered, real bad, one Cop started to hassle me, but when I asked him do you want to see what a few hundred thousand of daddies' buys in the WA? He was like **** ya!

I gave him some of dad's expensive scotch, and he watched ESPN on the 60" all the way thru his shift. I just need to replace that Scotch before Daddie comes back from Dubai!

The trick with these NYC is stay in Manhattan, and know the Governor of NY, he got me out of some awful jail when I got loaded at some frat party near 57th and 5th Ave. I wound up neat Tiffany's, and they got me. At least I left the. Big knives home, but, they never found the lady Bug I had on me!

OK, my Car service is waiting, Bye, Bye!!!
chloe

Post by chloe »

I carry a Orange Military everyday, now, I never leave Manhattan, and no Cop has ever said one thing to me having it clipped to my pants...they are not about to hassle a girl.

Well at least for the knife...coming home to the Waldorf, one night hammered, real bad, one Cop started to hassle me, but when I asked him do you want to see what a few hundred thousand of daddies' money buys in the WA? He was like **** ya!

I gave him some of dad's expensive scotch, and he watched ESPN on the 60" all the way thru his shift. I just need to replace that Scotch before Daddie comes back from Dubai!

The trick with these NYC is stay in Manhattan, and know the Governor of NY, he got me out of some awful jail when I got loaded at some frat party near 57th and 5th Ave. I wound up neat Tiffany's, and they got me. At least I left the. Big knives home, but, they never found the lady Bug I had on me!

chloe

Post by chloe »

Well at least for the knife...coming home to the Waldorf, one night hammered, real bad, one Cop started to hassle me, but when I asked him do you want to see what a few hundred thousand of daddie's money buys in the WA? He was like **** ya!

The trick with these NYC Cop's is stay in Manhattan, and know the Governor of NY, he got me out of some awful jail when I got loaded at some frat party near 57th and 5th Ave. I wound up near Tiffany's, and they got me. At least I left the. Big knives home, but, they never found the lady Bug I had on me!