Forum Update Follow Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Forum Update Follow Up

Post by TazKristi »

The update went well overall. Unfortunately, it was much more detailed than the information we had would have led us to believe (it was more of an upgrade than an update). Fortunately, in the end, we believe we have a better platform and some pretty cool features. I would encourage everyone to browse the FAQ as well as just tinker around in the new environment.

There are some helpful features in the "Quick Links" located in the top left corner.

You'll also find the User Profile pages are a little more robust than the last version.

If you visit your User Control Panel you'll want to view the options located under the tabs at the top of that area.

The topic preview feature has also been updated. Be sure to hover over the title of a topic to see the preview (as opposed to just near it).

We know there are still a few issues, but we're working on them. If your avatar was showing prior to yesterday's update and now it's not - they aren't lost. We just have to modify a database path and they will be restored so hang in there - I'm simplifying that... there are thousands of paths in multiple databases so it's going to take a little time to run the course.

Our forum is huge. Millions of records, literally. Just the backup alone takes over an hour to run completely. We are extra cautious with updates and upgrades so I apologize that yesterday's outage was longer than anticipated. I know change can be a challenge, but I promise it's worth it!

Thanks for your patience!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
farnorthdan

Re: Forum Update Follow Up

Post by farnorthdan »

Thank you Kristi, great job, I'm liking the new format.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
swigert

Post by swigert »

Love this new format. This is actually better on mobile than tapatalk I think.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

It'll take some getting used to, but it's alright. I just wish I could change the theme back to the darker one we had previously.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Looks and works fine for me, thanks Kristi!! Like the brighter tone, easier to read, better contrast.

Charlie
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Working well, looks good.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Great job, Kristi and Team!

I agree with swigert - the mobile view works just great on my phone. I'd MUCH rather use a mobile-friendly web site than install an app.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I really like this new theme. Very easy on the eyes!

JD
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Kristi,

Thank you for the hard work! After the upgrade, viewing this from desktop is so nice!
However,
Viewing this from mobile (I always use Opera Mini on iPhone), in the previous version, I could force the forum to be displayed as 'desktop' version (Select Agent = Desktop on Opera Mini) where the thread started by is visible, and the last post is on the right hand column.
After the upgrade, this option doesn't seem to work anymore, and I could not find any link to force it to desktop version. I like to see who started a thread because I could then make educated guess whether to peek inside or not.

Hope this is not too much of trouble to look into. Thanks.

Edit to add: tried the forum on Opera Mini on iPad, it has the full desktop version. Now I am lost :eek:
Last edited by anagarika on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If your avatar isn't showing then you just need to re-size it to 90x90 pixels. If you have your avatar saved on your desktop then you can re-size it in paint very quickly and re-upload it :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane »

Looks good and seems to be working well! :) :spyder:
swigert

Post by swigert »

The quote notifications are awesome as well
Slash

Post by Slash »

Looking good. But, I can't move the screen to the right to see more info. Can't remember what's over there that I'm missing? Probably condensed on one screen?
Using LG g3 Android 5.0.1

Ok, post quantity, where you're from, etc...

I'm sure you already know all that though.
Niles

Post by Niles »

Anyone else getting a notification for everything? I get an email for every new post and every new topic. I have to unsubscribe from the forum to keep from getting a hundred emails a day.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Would a desktop version choice be possible for phones? Everything is great, but on phones there are things missing.
- best wishes, Jazz.
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

Liking it so far. Like that the submitted post shows immediately and you don't go to the "your post has been submitted" page.

Haven't encountered any other issues.
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There's something wrong with the hyperlinks. They just don't display but when you go to edit they still exist. I'm guessing the update had something to do with it.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yeah, I'm unsure how it may be related, but a majority of the threads are now missing MANY photos! Rather disappointing to look through picture galleries and see people referencing photos that are no longer there...

Hopefully it's an easy fix and they aren't all lost without each poster having to manually edit their old posts!
Going back to Caly.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I would also like a desktop option from mobile view (especially for the "go to most recent post" shortcut...

I also miss seeing thread starter info, and date thread started... I am apparently quite used to scanning that info, as I gave it a couple of days, and I'm still frustrated...

Thanks for all the hard work, Kristi!
swigert

Post by swigert »

SpeedHoles wrote:Yeah, I'm unsure how it may be related, but a majority of the threads are now missing MANY photos! Rather disappointing to look through picture galleries and see people referencing photos that are no longer there...

Hopefully it's an easy fix and they aren't all lost without each poster having to manually edit their old posts!
All my phitobucket pics are gone. Put tinypic uploads are still up.