your best spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: your best spydie

Post by farnorthdan »

Great choices guys and thanks for chiming in, I deffinetly see a trend here with Taichung models being mentioned the most, I totally forgot about the slysz bowie, and just how nice that one is, must be time to carry her for a few days.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

farnorthdan wrote:I like the Hungarian too spydernut, that was the knife my 14yr old picked out on our trip to SFO last thanksgiving and he still covets that knife like it's made of gold and it is a nice one.

Surprisingly enough BFK, I don't even own a sage yet, might just have fix that one of these days. just so many nice ones dropping these days I've been kinda out of control.
I know exactly what you mean, lol. The blade grind on my Hungarian is simply gorgeous. Not a single thing wrong with it. It is amazing to see how far factory knives have come these days. I went back and looked at some of my older Spydies just the other day. Some have a few very minor flaws, but I guess that only adds to the character of the model. ;)
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

My most "perfect" would be either my Rubicon or Southard. Both came centered, evenly ground, and without any defects. So far, none of my Spyders have come with defects, but these two were especially "perfect".

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm going to have to rack up another vote for BBS Domino.
I now have two (one of my only knives that I have 2 of, other than Caly Super Blue), and it was a perfect record for both.
Smoothness of both my Dominos and Dice exceeds my black Southard...
Nilakka is another close one for being straight, tight, and crisp.
Yojimbo 2 KW exclusive, also top-shelf prime cut grade-A.

Simply said, I have a lot of Spyderco knives that are marvels of modern production and have heavily impressed me!
Going back to Caly.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpeedHoles wrote:I'm going to have to rack up another vote for BBS Domino.
I now have two (one of my only knives that I have 2 of, other than Caly Super Blue), and it was a perfect record for both.
Smoothness of both my Dominos and Dice exceeds my black Southard...
Nilakka is another close one for being straight, tight, and crisp.
Yojimbo 2 KW exclusive, also top-shelf prime cut grade-A.

Simply said, I have a lot of Spyderco knives that are marvels of modern production and have heavily impressed me!

Yes. The Nilakka is just perfect f&f ..
timlara

Post by timlara »

For me it's a tie between the BBS Domino and the Foundry. Both my copies have absolutely perfect fit and finish. I'd give the nod to the Domino just slightly because of the materials used and added complexity of the design, but overall they are both just great.

I don't even usually like stainless scales, but once I handled a Foundry, I just had to get one. The folks in Golden really knocked it out of the park with the craftsmanship. It's not exactly a cheap knife, but at least I can say it definitely feels like it's worth every penny once in hand.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I still think that the very best model Spyderco ever put out in the folder sector without any doubt is the big C-44 Dyad model. WIth two premium blade designs with two edge types there isn't many cutting jobs that the C-44 Dyad can't do. I love EDCing mine when I do because it's like having at least 4 different models in one.

The big C-44 Dyad is one knife I have for my bugout/survival kit. Now in the fixed blade arena and I know some of you guys are going to disagree and that's fine>> but the original Temperance 1 model has just been absolutely the most dependable and versatile fixed blade knife I've ever owned. Not to mention that it's one of the only fixed blade Spyders ever offered in both PE & SE>> and I have no plans on replacing it or retiring it anytime in the foreseeable future.

The Temperance 1 can do just about anything required of a fixed blade and not to mention it's a super blade in the kitchen as well. This is a great thread to know just what many of these different models mean to you guys. But those are my two hard use favorites.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

While I am in love with my PM2, it is not the best one from my bunch. My Sage 1 came to me mirroring perfection. I could not find fault with it on any level.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Of my 15 or so Spyders, the only one that came to me perfect is my blue Sage 3. The G10 was spotless, the blade smooth and even all around, and the action smooth as a baby's butt. It still is all those things, just now it's a little dirty. The only other knives that may have a claim to this throne are my two all stainless models, a Delica and a Foundry. I disqualified the Delica because it needed maybe a couple dozen open and close cycles to get perfectly smooth, and the Foundry has the slightest unevenness of the bevel at the heel of the blade. It's the kind of flaw that you have to stare at this knife for quite some time to find, which I did quite a bit when I got this knife and still do on occasion.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Well, I have to say that anything coming from Taiwan is leaps and bounds ahead. My Chokwe, Nilakka, Vallotton, Schemmp Bowie,Schempp Tuff, Southard, Domino are all stupid smooth,centered with crisp action. All I can say is Taiwan FTW! Just waiting on that PPT!

I guess the Bradley ain't too shabby neither. :p
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
FDE

Post by FDE »

Just to be different I'm going to say my Knifeworks exclusive green Paramilitary 2 with CTS-204P blade steel. Absolutely perfect example of a PM2 and I've own a bunch.
And OK I'll add every Taichung Taiwan Spyderco I've owned to the list as well. I've not had a single Taichung blade that has come to me anything less than perfect.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

All my Taiwan spydies have been absolutely flawless, and believe me I fine combed all of them for small imperfections, and could not find a single thing! Pretty impressive for production knives:
Sage 2, Tuff, Southfork, Gayle Bradley
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

My hugarian folder was perfect.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

If I look hard enough, I can find something "wrong" with almost all my Spyderco knives, but, there are a few whose fit and finish surpassed my (reasonable) expectations:

1. My Para 2 in digi-camo is flawless, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. In terms of fit and finish, it is the best Golden-made Spyderco I own.

2. My Delica 4 in g10 has to have the best fit and finish out of any japanese model I own, nearly flawless.