How About A Larger Scale Dodo Model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Drahkis

Re: How About A Larger Scale Dodo Model?

Post by Drahkis »

Count me in for a bigger DODO!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bh49 wrote:I would love to see 3" bladed Dodo. After that I will know about 3.5" :)
Yeah that's what I was thinking maybe something in the 3 to 3.5 inch blade size and extra width accordingly. I just know in my gut that a bigger Dodo would be an awesome cutting tool.

Just look at what the original Dodo model can do in everyday cutting jobs. A bigger and beefier model would just flat out be the best Reverse S blade Spyderco could give us. Yeah I like all the Matriarch models myself but they aren't really intended for hard work>> they are mostly intended strictly for self defense purposes. Whereas the Dodo model had enough extra stock in the blade to where you can use that model for a lot of cutting jobs.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm in!

Like pointed out, it may slightly lose that effect of the direct thumb-to-talon type natural extension just a bit when getting into a 3.5" blade, but I think this could be a viable option for those with XL+ hand size.
I wear a size large glove, and the regular Dodo works perfect for me, but it seems many don't have the same experience.
At this point, I'm a proponent of any sort of variation the Dodo may see as a resurrection! (Maybe aside from a slip-it...)

Oh, and Surfingringo, glad to hear you pulled the trigger on that Lil Mat'! I've been on the edge of wanting one as well...
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpeedHoles wrote:I'm in!

Like pointed out, it may slightly lose that effect of the direct thumb-to-talon type natural extension just a bit when getting into a 3.5" blade, but I think this could be a viable option for those with XL+ hand size.
I wear a size large glove, and the regular Dodo works perfect for me, but it seems many don't have the same experience.
At this point, I'm a proponent of any sort of variation the Dodo may see as a resurrection! (Maybe aside from a slip-it...)
Hey whatever it would take to resurrect the Dodo back to the main line up I would be for it. Now don't get me wrong at all because this thread isn't intended as a campaign against the original Dodo model>> quite the contrary it's just that with 2 sizes of the Dodo I think it could bolster sales of both units if they decide to come forth with a larger scale model.

Not only would a larger scale Dodo be more accomodating for larger hands but it also would be more able to do bigger and more difficult cutting jobs as well. Spyderedge would be an absolute must for a larger model>> if they are going to make a larger scale Dodo then it only makes sense to utilize both edge types so you can see first hand just how great of a potential a bigger Dodo could have.

And not to mention all of the professionals that would use one>> I bet this would also be a great first responders knife especially in Spyderedge.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I'd love one. But I want one with Black, Tan, or Olive G10 though. The blue wasn't doing it for me.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'd like a larger version :)
I think the design would have to change a little bit ergonomics-wise. If you upscale the model you could make place for a full grip and make a handle without the little nub at the end since that would have no more use. Bladesteel could stay in s30v IMO and maybe make the the tip a little wider to prevent snapping.

I'd definitely be interested!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Officer Gigglez wrote:I'd love one. But I want one with Black, Tan, or Olive G10 though. The blue wasn't doing it for me.

Great suggestions for handle color Officier Gigglez :) But "Dutchblades" I definitely want it hopefully in a different blade steel as well. Why go back in time when we can go forward. I know some of you like S30V but we've already got an ocean of Spyders out there with that blade steel already>> let's try something new.

Yeah the more I think about it G-10 is the perfect handle material for a larger scale Dodo >> although I wouldn't object if they wanted to do one in Micarta>> but I'm sure it would elevate the price so I guess G-10 is the target material for the handle. Oh how I would love to see a larger scale Dodo in S90V.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD

You better start advocating for full SE now or this knife will come and go in PE!
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

DutchBlades wrote:I'd like a larger version :)
I think the design would have to change a little bit ergonomics-wise. If you upscale the model you could make place for a full grip and make a handle without the little nub at the end since that would have no more use. Bladesteel could stay in s30v IMO and maybe make the the tip a little wider to prevent snapping.

I'd definitely be interested!
Personally I liked the little tail at the end, but I did manage to snap the tip on mine.. so thicker tip for sure! :p
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

If it would be offered in plain edge too (no H-1) then count me in ;)
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

My EDC combo for years was a black PE first gen Dodo paired with a g10 Delica 4, so, needless to say, I'm always beating a drum in the Dodo camp.

Count me in for a Dodo Xl! I do have a hard time visualizing how to keep the same "fits-like-a-glove" ergonomics, but I've been surprised before.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a selection of Dodo light-weight models, made of the same material as the manix 2 light-weights, and available in a rainbow of colors.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:JD

You better start advocating for full SE now or this knife will come and go in PE!
OH I did state in an earlier post that I definitely wanted to see it in PE & SE both. I usually cover that base with most new knife suggestions I make.

As good as the original Dodo was from the early 2000s when they did have a Spyderedged Dodo that it was a little chainsaw of a blade to be sure. The Dodo is also one of the rare designs that is equally as useful in Spyderedge as it is in plain edge.

OH indeed I do want to see the original sized Dodo in both edges as well as a larger scale model if it does indeed come to fruition. I bet if either one or both sized Dodo models ever did hit the main line up again they would be surprised at the sales they would get.

But I'm glad you brought it up TBD because Spyderco has made some awesome models in the last 6 to 8 years that should have been offered in SE & PE both. The C-111 Captain and Breeden's Rescue model both were a travesty of justice by not being available in Spyderedge as well as the Superhawk IMO. I couldn't imagine the Matriarch, Civilian or Cricket only available in PE>> so why would you only want the Dodo in PE??? I wish I knew their answer and I do hope we see both Dodo models in SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:JD

OH I did state in an earlier post that I definitely wanted to see it in PE & SE both. I usually cover that base with most new knife suggestions I make.

As good as the original Dodo was from the early 2000s when they did have a Spyderedged Dodo that it was a little chainsaw of a blade to be sure. The Dodo is also one of the rare designs that is equally as useful in Spyderedge as it is in plain edge.

OH indeed I do want to see the original sized Dodo in both edges as well as a larger scale model if it does indeed come to fruition. I bet if either one or both sized Dodo models ever did hit the main line up again they would be surprised at the sales they would get.

But I'm glad you brought it up TBD because Spyderco has made some awesome models in the last 6 to 8 years that should have been offered in SE & PE both. The C-111 Captain and Breeden's Rescue model both were a travesty of justice by not being available in Spyderedge as well as the Superhawk IMO. I couldn't imagine the Matriarch, Civilian or Cricket only available in PE>> so why would they only want the Dodo in PE only??? I wish I knew their answer and I do hope we see both Dodo models in SE & PE both.