Does the Delica blade look like a " bird head " ? Prefer more of the leaf design. Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

Does the Delica blade look like a " bird head " ? Prefer more of the leaf design. Dragonfly?

Post by HorserloverFat »

I'm searching for a smaller Spyderco for occasional EDC instead of my Manx 2 or Manix 2 XL. I mean no disrespect :o , but I tend to agree with this video reviewer regarding the shape of some Spyderco blades. :( Anyway, I would like to buy a smaller Spyderco knife with more of a leaf shaped design. The Dragonfly appears to best suit this. However, I'm open to other suggestions. Your thoughts please ? Thanks in advance ...

https://youtu.be/Xl_a6L3 ... e=youtu.be
bearfacedkiller

Re: Does the Delica blade look like a " bird head " ? Prefer more of the leaf design. Dragonfly?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Caly3 zdp and cf maybe? The Caly3 is a wonderful knife.

I would suggest that you give the delica a try. It is a wonderful knife. Do you dislike the looks of the Para2 or Military? They have the same blade shape as the the Delica. I personally prefer that blade shape and like to carry a delica with a para2.

Just get used to it. The Stretch threw me off for a while just because of looks but after forcing myself to try to understand it now I absolutely love it. A lot of it is what you are used to and your perceptions. You are apparently a manix fan so you may just be used to leaf blades. The Manix is a knife I love but I had to learn to love it too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Re: Does the Delica blade look like a " bird head " ? Prefer more of the leaf design. Dragonfly?

Post by Surfingringo »

If you are into flippers you should check out the dice too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd suggest putting less priority in looks and more into performance and ergonomics. I do understand though, we all like what we like. The Dfly is a great knife, but a good bit smaller than the Delica too. If you're interested, many knives can easily be modified and made smaller with a little grinding. I reworked my original Paramilitary and gave it a slight leaf shape and it really changed the character of the knife.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some value function over form, others try to find something that offers both. No "wrong" or "right" here, it's strictly a matter of taste. So, if the Delica's blade shape doesn't "float your boat", there are plenty of other options. If you're looking for a more leaf shaped, FFG, blade and want something bigger than the Dragonfly but smaller than a Manix 2, you might want to consider the Chaparral series, Sage series, Native 5, or the Caly 3.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Spydercos have always been overlooked by some knife buyers because they tend to prioritize looks over performance attributes. Nothing wrong with that, buy what you like but in terms cutting ability (what knives do), ergonomics, ease of opening, pocketability, lock options, size options, bladesteel, etc. they are as good as any other brand.

Delica looks like a bird, spy vs spy, whatever... It's a heck of a 3 inch utility folder. You can never form a complete opinion unless you try one.
PWork

Post by PWork »

Here's my 2 cents worth...IMO, the Delica and Dragonfly are the two best models in the Spyderco line up.

The Delica is among the very best 3" utility folders on the market.

The Dragonfly can and will do almost as much as the Delica (if need be) in a more compact "people friendly" package. It handles and cuts bigger that it really is.

Either (both) is an excellent choice. But, the only way you will know for sure is to try them for yourself. I guess the best advice I can give you is to choose the one that meets your criteria and see how it goes. Don't get hung up on looks. Yes, many Spydercos look a little "odd" when compared to many others, but few will prove to be more user friendly when there's real work to be done.
Paul
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Delica has a great blade shape.It's what they call a "modified leaf shape".Very utilitarian.If you prefere a "clasic leaf shape" get a Caly3 or something in the Caly line.You have so many to choose from.They are all designed by a borned genius designer, Sal Glesser.My dream is to have the chance to meet Sal in flesh and bones.And I have another dream: to own a Delica signed by him.Who knows ? Maybe one day.....
Last edited by elena86 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Odd question.
- best wishes, Jazz.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Maybe check out the Cat?
:bug-red-white
Lost

Post by Lost »

Buy it and try it.. Much easier to love once you get your hands on one. If you don't like it, they will usually sell within minutes on various knife forums with classified sections. The knife I can't recommend enough is the Caly 3..
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The lw Native 5 could be the knife for you and the price isn't much more than a Delica :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

How small?

Dragonfly and Chaparral are my top choices for that role.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Chaparral
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Caly3 zdp and cf maybe? The Caly3 is a wonderful knife.

I would suggest that you give the delica a try. It is a wonderful knife. Do you dislike the looks of the Para2 or Military? They have the same blade shape as the the Delica. I personally prefer that blade shape and like to carry a delica with a para2.

Just get used to it. The Stretch threw me off for a while just because of looks but after forcing myself to try to understand it now I absolutely love it. A lot of it is what you are used to and your perceptions. You are apparently a manix fan so you may just be used to leaf blades. The Manix is a knife I love but I had to learn to love it too.
The PM2 will be my next acquisition in spring. But I just can't see myself carrying a Stretch as it looks like a birds head with a big ole knot atop of it. (Stretch was a nickname during high school because I was tall and lanky.) I will most likely buy a Delica and will also consider the Caly. Thanks for your help.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

TomAiello wrote:How small?

As small as the Dragonfly. :)
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Jazz wrote:If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Odd question.
Well, it's kind of hard when all one has to go on is a photograph and/or video. It would be a different story if I could actually handle and thereby compare them. Who's the oddball now , Jazz ? :p
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

elena86 wrote:Delica has a great blade shape.It's what they call a "modified leaf shape".Very utilitarian.If you prefere a "clasic leaf shape" get a Caly3 or something in the Caly line.You have so many to choose from.They are all designed by a borned genius designer, Sal Glesser.My dream is to have the chance to meet Sal in flesh and bones.And I have another dream: to own a Delica signed by him.Who knows ? Maybe one day.....
Yeah, the modified leaf shape is more acceptable to me. Thanks for replying. How's life in Europe at the moment ? I may visit Poland in the not too far off future.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

HorserloverFat wrote:
TomAiello wrote:How small?

As small as the Dragonfly. :)
You should check out the Chaparral too. I've been very surprised how often it bumps the Dragonfly out of my pocket. It's only slightly larger, and I've found it much nicer as my "only carry" on days when I don't have something larger.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

HorserloverFat wrote:
Jazz wrote:If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Odd question.
Well, it's kind of hard when all one has to go on is a photograph and/or video. It would be a different story if I could actually handle and thereby compare them. Who's the oddball now , Jazz ? :p
I just thought if you didn't like the shape then you didn't like the shape. Holding it wouldn't make the looks change. Yes, I can be an oddball, and your comment made me smile.
- best wishes, Jazz.