Chances of a new Dodo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: Chances of a new Dodo?

Post by swigert »

wow foliage green with blade blade dodo sounds awesome for a sprint run.....s90v?
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

swigert wrote:wow foliage green with blade blade dodo sounds awesome for a sprint run.....s90v?
PE or SE? Would s90v be suitable for a SE knife? I'd be fine with S30v if that's all we could get!

Matt
Donut

Post by Donut »

I still want to test out 3V with serrations. I could probably deal with Cruwear Serrated since they are similar steels.

To date, we have not seen S90V in serrated. The idea behind serrations are that they help with lower wear resistance, basically for cheaper steels, they are trying to give you S90V wear resistance by using serrations.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

You know, after tightening the back screw parallel to the pivot on my dodo, the blade hasn't stuck at all. So I'd definitely consider buying another. I'd like Se, how about a salt?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:The orange ones seem to come up often enough on BST.

I'd love to see one in some sort of Carpenter Steel.
Right on!!! I would love to see a PE or SE Dodo in XHP. But I also wouldn't mind seeing one in S90V either. It would be nice to have a change of blade steel in the next Sprint Run.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Sorry to derail... what is "BST"? I've seen it mentioned a few times in the past day or so.
Going back to Caly.
Donut

Post by Donut »

SpeedHoles wrote:

Sorry to derail... what is "BST"? I've seen it mentioned a few times in the past day or so.
BST is the abbreviation for Buy/Sell/Trade forums. Bladeforums, CPFMP, EDC Forums, Jerzee Devils (I think) and others have them.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Donut wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:

BST is the abbreviation for Buy/Sell/Trade forums. Bladeforums, CPFMP, EDC Forums, Jerzee Devils (I think) and others have them.

Ahhhhhhh, gotcha, simpler than I thought! :) Thanks for the explanation. I am not familiar with many of those forums.

And here's the only handy photo I have of my Dodo, just to keep on topic!
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm still not going to give up hope on a larger scale Dodo model. There have been a couple of times over the years I've suggested a Dodo model with a bigger/wider blade and larger ergonomic handle to accomodate it. And a bigger/wider/longer one would be a megabeast in SE for sure.

I'm encountering more and more folks who have actually used the Dodo and find it to be a very interesting user model and I believe that a bigger scaled model would be even better yet.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm still not going to give up hope on a larger scale Dodo model. There have been a couple of times over the years I've suggested a Dodo model with a bigger/wider blade and larger ergonomic handle to accomodate it. And a bigger/wider/longer one would be a megabeast in SE for sure.

I'm encountering more and more folks who have actually used the Dodo and find it to be a very interesting user model and I believe that a bigger scaled model would be even better yet.

Just curious, how much bigger would you propose? 3" blade? Bigger even?
Either way might be really functional and usable as well.

I'm starting to learn more and more as I spend time here, and one thing I've learned, is JD would never propose anything that would NOT work well in full SE!! :D

You know, I could actually see the Dodo also being useful with other styles of blades in its handle! Maybe a Wharnie (although Yojimbo 2 covers that already), or maybe just a typical FFG Leaf. Would love it with those ergos!
Going back to Caly.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Larger sounds very interesting.

Another sprint run also sounds interesting. How about blue weave cf?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm still not going to give up hope on a larger scale Dodo model.
I like the Idea. A while ago ShepardCC, a knifemaker on BF reground his manix into Dodo. It looked terrific. Caged lock is nice and ergos of Manix handle are outstanding.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... int-Mando-!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Oh yeah, I saw he did a SuperLeaf and/or Superhawk regrind into a SuperDo as well! Cool stuff.
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpeedHoles wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:I'm still not going to give up hope on a larger scale Dodo model. There have been a couple of times over the years I've suggested a Dodo model with a bigger/wider blade and larger ergonomic handle to accomodate it. And a bigger/wider/longer one would be a megabeast in SE for sure.

Just curious, how much bigger would you propose? 3" blade? Bigger even?
Either way might be really functional and usable as well.

I'm starting to learn more and more as I spend time here, and one thing I've learned, is JD would never propose anything that would NOT work well in full SE!! :D

You know, I could actually see the Dodo also being useful with other styles of blades in its handle! Maybe a Wharnie (although Yojimbo 2 covers that already), or maybe just a typical FFG Leaf. Would love it with those ergos!
Well for instance I would like to see a larger/wider scale model with the blade possibly being an inch longer and the blade being about a 1/2 an inch wider. The handle on the present model is so ergonomic that almost anyone's hand fits it. But a longer and somewhat beefier handle would make it on the same caliber as the Chinook or Manix models

But I'm willing to talk about this at length and I would gladly start another thread.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I think the current size works best. I don't mind it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

swigert wrote:I think the current size works best. I don't mind it.
Hey I love the original Dodo model myself>> it's been in my top 10 off and on for some time now. But don't limit yourself because if you can make something better than it already is then why not?

Truly I want both>> the original and a larger scale sized Dodo model. Some people have genuine needs for a larger blade. I tend to lean more toward the larger blades most of the time with a few exceptions.

If any of you ever got to use a Spyderedged Dodo you would all be absolutely amazed at how a small blade can do big cutting jobs.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

This is really making me want a Dodo! :(

Matt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MattM68 wrote:This is really making me want a Dodo! :(

Matt
Well Matt you just keep the "Wheel Squeaking Dude" because enough of us do that we will eventually get their attention if we don't have it already. If we can convince the Great Spyder FActory that it's box office success in the making I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

And I'm not giving up any hope for a larger scale version of the Dodo>> In Spyderedge that would truly be the equivalent of a small STIHL chain saw in the form of a Spyderco Folder :cool:

The Dodo truly is a genius design and I would think Eric Glesser would love the challenge of creating a larger scale version. He has some of the most interesting designs Spyderco has ever made. When you think about collaborations and I love many of them but don't overlook the great designs that Eric and Sal have blessed us with. They can certainly compete with any top name knife designer IMO.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

JD Spydo wrote:
MattM68 wrote:This is really making me want a Dodo! :(

Matt
Well Matt you just keep the "Wheel Squeaking Dude" because enough of us do that we will eventually get their attention if we don't have it already. If we can convince the Great Spyder FActory that it's box office success in the making I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

And I'm not giving up any hope for a larger scale version of the Dodo>> In Spyderedge that would truly be the equivalent of a small STIHL chain saw in the form of a Spyderco Folder :cool:

The Dodo truly is a genius design and I would think Eric Glesser would love the challenge of creating a larger scale version. He has some of the most interesting designs Spyderco has ever made. When you think about collaborations and I love many of them but don't overlook the great designs that Eric and Sal have blessed us with. They can certainly compete with any top name knife designer IMO.
I completely agree! I'm sure the Dodo would be extremely popular if sold again. If we can get enough interest, I don't see why Spyderco wouldn't make another run. With the Golden renovations being completed later this year, it could be a good model to start off with! :)

Matt
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Should we start a crowd fund for Spyderco Forum Sprint models? :D
Going back to Caly.