Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Production Prototype – Ed Schempp Frontier

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Frontier will become the next addition to the Ethnic Series of Spyderco folding knives. This design is based on the classic American bowie knife designs. Last year, Spyderco showed four sizes of the Frontier. My personal favorite was the largest one, which had something like a 5 inch blade I think. Eric Glesser favored the smallest one that had a 3 inch blade IIRC. This prototype us a medium sized design, from that original series of beautiful custom folders by Ed Schempp.

The Frontier features a Bowie shape blade and brass bolsters that mimic the classic S-shaped guard from classic bowie knives. The handle on this ethnic folder is inspired by the classic coffin shaped bowie handles.

This prototype was probably my personal favorite from this edition of the Amsterdam Meet. That is not much of a surprise, as the Frontier concept models were my favorites from last year’s meet. I’m a sucker for bowie knife designs, and I’m happy that Spyderco is taking up this pattern again after the excellent Chinook designs by James Keating.

I appreciate the choice for this medium size. It makes the knife easier to carry, also from a legal point of view. Visually however, the blade still seems the right (big) size that a bowie ‘should’ have. The handle was very ergonomic, as is the par for Ed Schempp designs, and it seemed comfortable to hold in a variety of grips. The blade was thin and light, and should be a great slicer. I can’t wait to get my hands on a production model for use and carry.

The approximate specifications of the Frontier prototype are:
Overall Length: 21,3 cm / 8.39 inches
Edge Length: 9 cm / 3.54 inches
Blade Length: 9,3 cm / 3.66 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,2 cm / 0.08 inches

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Apparently there's a 10 image maximum per post, so here's the last one of the Frontier:

dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Wow. That Frontier is spectacular.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Concept Model – Chris Knutson Introvert

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Introvert was a very interesting design. This folder incorporates both a Perrin-style index hole and a flipper. Although it might be easy to think of this design as a pure MBC-type design, Sal and Eric see more potential (utility) uses. Apparently, their main attraction to see if the design could be made was ‘it’s never been done’.

The approximate specifications of the Introvert concept model are:
Overall Length: 18 cm / 7.08 inches
Edge Length: 5,7 cm / 2.24 inches
Blade Length: 7,2 cm / 2.83 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,3 cm / 0.19 inches

Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Production Prototype – Farid Mehr K2

Post by Mr Blonde »

Fans of big folders are in for a treat. After the Tatanka, Spyderco has another big folder in the works; the K2 folder by custom maker Farid Mehr. I’m afraid I didn’t pick up any details or background on this design, as I was working on photos of other prototypes at the time. I’m sure my fellow attendees of the meet can provide some background information.

The approximate specifications of the K2 prototype are:
Overall Length: 25,5 cm / 10.03 inches
Edge Length: 11,5 cm / 4.52 inches
Blade Length: 11,5 cm / 4.52 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,35 cm / 0.14 inches

gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

What's the locking mechanism on the introvert? looks like it might be a compression lock, but set way back. Inquiring minds want to know. I don't know if I could buy that one without holding it, but I really want to hold it.

Grizz
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Production Prototype – Kiwi G-10

Post by Mr Blonde »

The G-10 Kiwi was shown again this year. Compared to the prototype shown last year, this version seemed even more refined. It handled like a more ergonomic Des Horn. I think the sizes are similar as well. This was very nice folder and I certainly appreciate the fact that the clip can be switched for left-handed users, like me.

I’m afraid the measured specs for this prototype were lost, or we didn’t get around to taking the measurements, once a number of knives made it to our table for pictures. The specifications we collected last year were as follows, I’m sure they’re close:
Blade Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inch
Overall Length: 17,1 cm / 6.7 inch

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

gdwtvb wrote:What's the locking mechanism on the introvert? looks like it might be a compression lock, but set way back. Inquiring minds want to know. I don't know if I could buy that one without holding it, but I really want to hold it.

Grizz
It's a backlock-type. the locking action was very positive.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Introvert was a very interesting design. This folder incorporates both a Perrin-style index hole and a flipper. Although it might be easy to think of this design as a pure MBC-type design, Sal and Eric see more potential (utility) uses. Apparently, their main attraction to see if the design could be made was ‘it’s never been done’.

The approximate specifications of the Introvert concept model are:
Overall Length: 18 cm / 7.08 inches
Edge Length: 5,7 cm / 2.24 inches
Blade Length: 7,2 cm / 2.83 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,3 cm / 0.19 inches
That is a TOTALLY fascinating piece of work. I don't know whether I'll wind up buying one, but that's a really great piece of imagineering.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Mr Blonde wrote:Fans of big folders are in for a treat. After the Tatanka, Spyderco has another big folder in the works; the K2 folder by custom maker Farid Mehr. I’m afraid I didn’t pick up any details or background on this design, as I was working on photos of other prototypes at the time. I’m sure my fellow attendees of the meet can provide some background information.

The approximate specifications of the K2 prototype are:
Overall Length: 25,5 cm / 10.03 inches
Edge Length: 11,5 cm / 4.52 inches
Blade Length: 11,5 cm / 4.52 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,35 cm / 0.14 inches
4.5", 10V, 3.5mm bladestock??? :eek: Where's the wheels kit? Amazing! :spyder:

Edited to add the pesky decimal point. ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

JNewell wrote:4.5", 10V, 35mm bladestock??? :eek: Where's the wheels kit? Amazing! :spyder:
0.35 cm is actually 3.5mm.

10V looks nice. Maybe we can get a few crazy steel sprints.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Production Prototype – Gianni Pauletta Lil' LionSpy

Post by Mr Blonde »

I had a bit of a Goldilocks moment when I first picked up the Lil’ LionSpy, this size is just right.

I have the original large LionSpy. The large model is a great knife, but between the strong spring in the locking tab, the tight lock-up and the smooth scales, it can be a bit heavy and tricky to control or unlock one-handed. The Lil’ LionSpy was a breeze to handle. The feel and operation was very nice. While I wait for a new edition of the Li’l Temperance (which wasn’t shown at the meet, in case you’re wondering), the Lil’ LionSpy will be just fine to hold me over.

This ‘little’ folder is a nice high-tech, stout and ergonomic Little Big Knife. This knife was easily one of my top-three favorite prototypes this year.

The approximate specifications of the Lil’ LionSpy are:
Overall Length: 18,5 cm / 7.28 inches
Edge Length: 8 cm / 3.15 inches
Blade Length: 8,5 cm / 3.35 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,4 cm / 0.16 inches

NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Farid uses some pretty exotic steels, will be interesting to see what ends up in the K2. Edit; looks like 10V

Wish Ted brought some scales, I'm a sucker for light and sleek when it comes to knives :D

Baby LionSpy looks sweet :D
LC Kid

THX & Two Questions

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr Blonde!

And Thanx again for this wonderful thread.
:spyder: I have two questions so far:

1. Is it planned an Spyder Edge version for the ARK?

Giving it's SD nature, it'd make a lot of sense.
:rolleyes: 2. Does the K2 has any kind of backspacer? Or is it a totally open design, using only standoffs instead?

For some reason, the K2 looks like some kind of big brother for the custom versions of the Marcin Slysz Bowie Folder that I've seen before.
:cool: Regards,
Stay Sharp!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I’m afraid that’s all for now, as I’m getting ready to travel to Germany for a few days, to attend the IWA show. There were so many prototypes this year and also way more knives than usual which I can publish. I didn’t have time to finish them all since Sunday. I have a dozen or so knives yet to cover. I’ll probably get to prepare and post these amazing prototypes again in a couple of days. Thank you all for the interest and kind words.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Mr Blonde!

And Thanx again for this wonderful thread.
:spyder: I have two questions so far:

1. Is it planned an Spyder Edge version for the ARK?

Giving it's SD nature, it'd make a lot of sense.
:rolleyes: 2. Does the K2 has any kind of backspacer? Or is it a totally open design, using only standoffs instead?

For some reason, the K2 looks like some kind of big brother for the custom versions of the Marcin Slysz Bowie Folder that I've seen before.
:cool: Regards,
You're welcome. I don't have the answers to your questions I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else from the meet can help and chime in.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

JNewell wrote:4.5", 10V, 35mm bladestock??? :eek: Where's the wheels kit? Amazing! :spyder:
Keep in mind, that our measurements were done by hand with a simple tape measure. I could be off on the specs. :)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Mr Blonde wrote:I’m afraid that’s all for now, as I’m getting ready to travel to Germany for a few days, to attend the IWA show. There were so many prototypes this year and also way more knives than usual which I can publish. I didn’t have time to finish them all since Sunday. I have a dozen or so knives yet to cover. I’ll probably get to prepare and post these amazing prototypes again in a couple of days. Thank you all for the interest and kind words.
Thanks so much for all the photos and may you have safe travels to Germany. Can't wait to see the rest of the models when you return.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for posting these great pics and info. That Frontier looks awesome! Definitely at the top of the list for me, so far.
:bug-red-white
paladin

Post by paladin »

Introvert really piques my curiosity...it would be great for someone who has to cut/slice things and then use both hands to manipulate what they just cut without putting down / closing the blade...I guess kinda like an oyster knife...anyways reminds me a lot of the Caspian with the way the blade is positioned relative to the ring/guard....great shots, per usual!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate