Spyderco Byrd Raven questions for sal and everyone.

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Byrd Raven questions for sal and everyone.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have been looking at the Byrd Raven, the new one with the CTS-BD1 Stainless Steel. The design and materials appeal to me as does the price. It looks like an almost perfect inexpensive knife.

What should I expect with this knife as an everyday carry folder?

The Spyderco.com site specs on it says thickness measurement is not available. Any speculation on how thick the blade is? 2.5 or millimeter or something?

I am familiar with using the Byrd Cara Cara and Rescue. What differences should I expect, if any, with the new stainless steel used on this one? Superior properties?

As long as I keep it decently sharp, will it be good for making sandwiches, cutting down cardboard boxes, cutting string and cordage, and opening mail, as well as numerous other everyday cutting chores?

And finally, If for some reason or another I happened to become stranded as a castaway on a tropical island or an African savannah, or deep in the mountainous alps, would the Spyderco Byrd Raven be able to stand up to most every cutting chore necessary?

Thank you sal and thank you all in advance.
Larry_Mott

Re: Spyderco Byrd Raven questions for sal and everyone.

Post by Larry_Mott »

I carried my Raven2 from its launch to last December when i got the Wharncliffe Delica and decided to switch EDC knife. It has performed admirably (and still do), holds a working edge for a pretty long time, i haven't been babying it at all, using it for everything from opening letters to cutting plastic cable ducts.
IMO the Crow and Raven stand heads and shoulders above the other Byrds, like the Cara cara. I also prefer it over the Tenacious and Polestar thanks to the choil. All in all one of the, if not *the* best bang for buck sub-$70 knife.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you, Larry, this helps greatly! I appreciate your perfect response and experience.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Chris :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

I think the knife will perform well for you.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

SEF,

CTSBD1 is very under rated. It's one of my favorite EDC steels. It takes an incredibly sharp edge with minimal effort, which is my favorite aspect of BD1. Very good corrosion resistance, as well as pretty decent edge holding...close to VG10. I'd like to see it used in more knives to be honest.
:unicorn
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:44 am
SEF,

CTSBD1 is very under rated. It's one of my favorite EDC steels. It takes an incredibly sharp edge with minimal effort, which is my favorite aspect of BD1. Very good corrosion resistance, as well as pretty decent edge holding...close to VG10. I'd like to see it used in more knives to be honest.

can't speak for other brands but Cold Steel did a wise move switching to BD1 from AUS-8, I noticed especially in the corrosion resistance, not so much in other things

(well, it definitely is less "gummy" when sharpening, much cleaner and easier to me than AUS-8) :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

WOW! Sal I received my Spyderco Byrd Raven 2 ! It is EXCELLENT! The fit and finish and blade steel and G10 handle and the liner lock and everything about it are absolutely excellent! Thank you my friend!

The rest of you were right, too: The Byrd Raven 2 with the BD1 stainless steel blade is excellent. When I first held it and looked it over, I really thought "This is quality one would expect from a much more expensive knife." I am so glad this is both economical and has super quality. Sal, you are amazing my friend. Thank you and everyone at Spyderco!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

BD-1 is basically a US-made version on Gin-1/G-2, which was one of the earlier "super steels" combining great corrosion resistance with durability and edge-holding closer to what was expected of a decent tool steel at the time. I didn't see much of a difference when the Hitachi/Spyderco proprietary steel ATS-55 came out. all are fine performers, have decent edgeholding and reliable corrosion resistance. CPM=154CM, VG-10 and S30V are definitely better with wear resistance, but S30v is kind of a pain to sharpen compared to earlier main-run super steels and I don't think any of the above steels are that much more wear resistant in SE models.
Fundoodman

Post by Fundoodman »

The attachment 20180603_075710.jpg is no longer available
I like this knife a lot, have used it a lot every day since I got it. Both for hard use situations and for smaller edc tasks and it well in most situations. The steel is sweet and takes a great edge. I do have one question. I've only had this for a month now and straight out of the box the lockup is really late. I'll post a photo. I know it's now going to go anywhere but this doesn't seem right. Just wondering thoughts or if this is actually normal with this knife. Besides that getting in my head, I love this thing.
Attachments
20180603_075710.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fundooman,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the kind review. I wouldn't worry about it unless you develop vertical play.

sal
Fundoodman

Post by Fundoodman »

Thank you Sal!