What if the Byrd line was made in the USA

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
crazywednesday

What if the Byrd line was made in the USA

Post by crazywednesday »

I would love to hear a rough estimate from Sal on the % increase of cost if the Byrd line was made in the USA. Im talking same quality, same level of attention to detail, and similar or same steel the line currently receives. Dont change anything but the location its made.
Justin
willc

Re: What if the Byrd line was made in the USA

Post by willc »

I’m pretty sure at one point Sal said one dollar gets you six in China.
So the frn Cara Cara would run about 120.

The Byrd line is an exceptional value and really the only changes I would like to see are some bright colored scales.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I doubt it will ever happen since that would defeat the purpose of the Byrd line..
That said i can understand your interest even if it's a hypothetical question, so no offence :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

willc wrote:I’m pretty sure at one point Sal said one dollar gets you six in China.
So the frn Cara Cara would run about 120.

The Byrd line is an exceptional value and really the only changes I would like to see are some bright colored scales.
I’m interested to learn more. 1US$ = approximately 6Yuan. I don’t think it’s a linear comparison.
For example, 1 US$ = approximately 13500 IDR (my currency). How much 1 person lunch cost in average shopping mall? About 4-6 US$ based on that exchange rates, although cheapest lunch you can buy is about 1US$ at cheaper establishment. An iPhone 7 128Gb costs about 1k US$ down here.
Using same example, how much it’ll get translated?

I’m guessing based on Manix LW BD1 and Endura FRN, a cara Cara FRN probably around 50-60$ street price, slightly below those two, probably not made in Golden but outsourced to a lower cost manufacturing with lower standards of QC like what we see on Byrd series (too much variation, although the good one is very well made).

Just my guess, can be totally off.
Last edited by anagarika on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

... they'd call them Eagles?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Larry_Mott wrote:I doubt it will ever happen since that would defeat the purpose of the Byrd line..
That said i can understand your interest even if it's a hypothetical question, so no offence :)
No offense taken. I didn't pose the question to see if there was an interest in moving the product line to the US. I bought it up as an attempt to get a better understanding of manufacturing costs. It truly is just hypothetical.
Justin
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I don't really know but I guess they'd cost the street price they have in my country...$70-90
Laughably sad