Talk me into a Robin 2 Titanium

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Switchback

Talk me into a Robin 2 Titanium

Post by Switchback »

I just checked my posting history and it's been over 2 1/2 years since I posted on this forum. My goodness. Where does the time go?

Anyway, I've owned 5 Byrd Robins for 8 or 10 years and I've been enjoying them very much. Really a great knife. I have 3 FRN, 1 G10, and 1 stainless steel. All of mine are the old versions (Robin 1?) with the saber ground blade. I'm thinking about getting a Titanium version with the flat ground blade.

Any owners out there care to share your thoughts? I think I'm really just looking for somebody to tell me to just buy one and get it over with :) but I'm interested in any comments about the Titanium Robin.

Thanks!
Switchback

Re: Talk me into a Robin 2 Titanium

Post by Switchback »

I ended up getting one. You all knew that was going to happen didn't you? :D

Anyway, it arrived today and I like it. Each version has its advantages and I can see that this Titanium version is going to take some getting used to. I knew it wouldn't have the slip-free grip of the FRN and G10 models but I'm going to have learn to live with that nonetheless. The action is pretty tight regardless of how I adjust the pivot screw but it has already started to loosen up just a little bit. I'm pretty sure that it will be buttery smooth before too long.

It's just a smidgen thinner than my G10 version and quite a bit thinner than my FRN versions. Having only owned the saber ground Robin 1's until now, I think I'm going to like the full flat ground blade. Honestly, I don't do a lot of slicing and I never really longed for a FFG blade but I think I'll like it.

What I like the most about it is the Titanium. The slip-free grip is going to missed but I really, really like having a slab of Titanium in my pocket. Especially at this price.

I'm a long time fan of the Robin and I think I'm going to like this new addition to the family. Glad I bought it.

Thanks for reading.
IMG_3831.JPG
IMG_3832.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looks Good!! Nice line-up there too.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

Thanks John!
sal

Post by sal »

Congrats Switchback,

I think it's one of my better designs.

sal
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

Thanks Sal. And I wholeheartedly agree!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Nice group photo! :D
Chris :spyder:
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I like it, Sal! Seems like it has simple lines but looks nice and those cuts should help with grip. Might have to look into one of the Ti byrds soon.