Byrd Crossbill, anyone got one?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
ThePeacent

Byrd Crossbill, anyone got one?

Post by ThePeacent »

hi folks. As you may know, I am a Hawkbill fan. The Tasman and Spyderhawk have been loyal friends and very useful carries to compliment a straight edged folder. I lost one of my 2 Tasman this August, and decided to give a shot to the not much talked about Spyderco (Byrd, in this case) hawk, the Crossbill
The knife is on its way to me.

I only have had a Cara Cara from the Byrd line and was highly impressed. In fact I often paired it with my Tasman. The question is, do you have a Crossbill or have had one, and how does it compare to other Byrds and other Spyderco hawkbills?

Thanks and I'll update when it gets here :spyder:
vivi

Re: Byrd Crossbill, anyone got one?

Post by vivi »

I used to own one and I liked it. The crossbill and tasman are responsible for me carrying hawkbills so frequently.

Weighs more than the Tasman, but offers a larger, more comfortable handle. More cutting edge too. The ergonomics are very nice, working better for me than Tasman Salts.

I think you'll be happy with it. It's a very good value.
:unicorn
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

thanks!
knowing you tastes and preferences, and being so similar in what we use and carry, I'm glad I got it! It was a very good deal too, so that'll be my second Byrd and new "Tasman" to replace the lost one

Thanks again :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Is the Crossbill the big one? I think I have one of those with a Stainless Steel handle. It's nice, but pretty big and heavy.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Donut wrote:Is the Crossbill the big one? I think I have one of those with a Stainless Steel handle. It's nice, but pretty big and heavy.
Yep. I think they may have run them in G10 at one point, those were lighter if so. Only seems available in SS these days, with FRN Meadowlarks being a smaller option.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I have a PE Crossbill and it is a solid knife. It is a little on the heavy side and the blade steel is not the best but it is descent. For the money you can't go wrong. I think you'll like it. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

holeshot wrote:I have a PE Crossbill and it is a solid knife. It is a little on the heavy side and the blade steel is not the best but it is descent. For the money you can't go wrong. I think you'll like it. :)
thanbks! you say heavy because your is the SS handle version?
I've been lucky enough to find one of the rare G10 Crossbills, so I don't know if that is also true of that model. Hopefully it'll arrive this week :rolleyes:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

it arrived! I really like how it fills the hand, feels so sturdy and well built for such a budget piece

of course I couldn't wait and had to cut something with it, Zucchinis didn't stand a chance :D

holeshot

Post by holeshot »

ThePeacent wrote:it arrived! I really like how it fills the hand, feels so sturdy and well built for such a budget piece

of course I couldn't wait and had to cut something with it, Zucchinis didn't stand a chance :D

Yeah, I have the SS version but I still like her. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

ranking high among my Hawkbills in this "first impressions" light use and fondling of it

vivi

Post by vivi »

Nice photos. Which knife is more comfortable for you, the Pacific Salt or Crossbill? I always found both designs very ergonomic....same with the Cara Cara. If I could get those handles on any blade shape / grind / blade steel I want, I'd be set :D
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:Nice photos. Which knife is more comfortable for you, the Pacific Salt or Crossbill? I always found both designs very ergonomic....same with the Cara Cara. If I could get those handles on any blade shape / grind / blade steel I want, I'd be set :D
well truth is I have medium sized hands and the Crossbill is certainly filling and thick, maybe a bit too much for me. I've grown used to the thin Salt handles of the Pacific, Tasman and Spyderhawk.
I also prefer FRN to G10 to be honest, even though in the past I was in love with G10.

Thinner handles work for me most of the times.
The Cara Cara was a very nice one too. These two saw much pocket time together, this pic is already 3 years old

SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

ThePeacent wrote:
Vivi wrote:Nice photos. Which knife is more comfortable for you, the Pacific Salt or Crossbill? I always found both designs very ergonomic....same with the Cara Cara. If I could get those handles on any blade shape / grind / blade steel I want, I'd be set :D
well truth is I have medium sized hands and the Crossbill is certainly filling and thick, maybe a bit too much for me. I've grown used to the thin Salt handles of the Pacific, Tasman and Spyderhawk.
I also prefer FRN to G10 to be honest, even though in the past I was in love with G10.

Thinner handles work for me most of the times.
The Cara Cara was a very nice one too. These two saw much pocket time together, this pic is already 3 years old

Thanks for the comparison info.

I just picked up a Cara Cara 2 and it is a great knife for the money. I think I prefer it over My Tenacious.

I think I would have to hold the crossbill before buying one. I am not a fan of my Meadowlark as an example, but it is just an ergonomic thing for me personally.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

quickly replaced my Tasman for the simple gardening tasks at home and mundane plant maintenance. I still preferred the SE blade of the Tasman but the additional blade length compensates

very happy with it!!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

the crossbill is basically a superhawk in terms of ergos by my understanding. Longer, less negative angle, but still a nice hawkbill curve. Mine is very nice. A little heavy maybe but it feel like I could take it to war if need be.