Byrd Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Wanimator

Re: Byrd Fixed Blade

Post by Wanimator »

I'd definitely jump on a larger Byrd fixed blade, like a bowie or Shemp Rock kind of fixed blade, maybe even a short machete style.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

What steel would a Byrd fixed blade feature? I'd like to try something in 9Cr18Mo.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I personally would love to see a byrd rendition of the Bushcraft. If I had my way it would be available both with and without handle scales and would be in 9Cr18.
sal

Post by sal »

We do have one maker that is using CTS-BD1. That would be my prefered steel. 9Cr is available, but our experience with the material in a Mule Team showed more warpage than we would like. We can always use 8Cr.

Let's discuss more about what the design would be?

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Either a smallish utility knife (like an Enuf) or a larger fixed blade (4.5" or 5" maybe) with a comfortable handle for general fieldcraft would be awesome.

I think that BD1 would be a great steel.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

TomAiello wrote:Either a smallish utility knife (like an Enuf) or a larger fixed blade (4.5" or 5" maybe) with a comfortable handle for general fieldcraft would be awesome.

I think that BD1 would be a great steel.
I second every part of this. If they can get and use BD1 I'm all for that in place of any of the Chinese steels.

---> Branden
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

sal wrote:We do have one maker that is using CTS-BD1. That would be my prefered steel. 9Cr is available, but our experience with the material in a Mule Team showed more warpage than we would like. We can always use 8Cr.

Let's discuss more about what the design would be?

sal
BD1 would be perfect for me. I'd prefer it over any of the regularly available Chinese steel. It is my absolute favorite user steel (a spot previously held by VG-10). I'd like to see something in a Scandi grind in a byrd fixed blade. If not Scandi then FFG. I just find the Scandi to be an extremely good for utility fixed blades; however, FFG makes for a superb slicer. I'd prefer a blade length of around 4-4.5 inches. I'd prefer full tang construction with G-10 handle scales. My preference would be for the handle scales to be attached by screws rather than pinned on. I'd prefer flat head screws as those are easiest to carry a tool for in the field as almost any SAK or multitool has a flat head driver. This would allow the handle scales to be removed in a pinch for emergency use as a spear.

I'm not sure what would be available out of China for sheaths. Kydex would be my top preference followed closely by leather, but I trust Sal and Co to give us a functional sheath regardless of materials.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm glad to hear that the situation with Chinese manufacture appears to be resolved. CTS-BD1 seems a fine steel, and I'm excited to hear that it is going to be available. I could be okay with 8Cr as well. 4.5-5" seems a good blade length. General fieldcraft sounds about right. Just a good all-around camp knife like the Temperence would be nice.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Something around the size of the Enuff sounds right. FFG please.
sal

Post by sal »

I'd like some more opinions on size, design style, designers, etc. Eric has a maker that he believes can do a good job on fixed blade byrds, so we're getting more serious.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sal wrote:I'd like some more opinions on size, design style, designers, etc. Eric has a maker that he believes can do a good job on fixed blade byrds, so we're getting more serious.

sal
The size of an Enuff is something I would surely like to add to the collection as a fixed utility blade,
and it seems I'm not the only one liking this size.
CTS-BD1, 8Cr13MoV or even just 8Cr are all steels that will work on a fixed blade and are within the budget of the Byrd product line.

I could whip up some concept idea's on a design if that would help,
but I'm sure I won't be the only one jumping at this opportunity! :p
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Something Shemp Rock sized, that I could use to *oh no god forbid* chop with?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Something I desperately need is a cheaper (thus Byrd) Pygmy or Warrior.
Love those...
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I resubmit my design from page 1 :D
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 81#p970183

I think a light knife in the 3.5" range with a nice sheath that can be used for belt (vertical or horizontal), neck or boot carry would be a winner. IMO, there aren't many high quality low price options in the field.

Ookami
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd like to see something in the size range of the Enuff, a tad larger but not a lot larger. Leaf shaped blade or maybe a spear point, but I'd prefer a leaf shape over other options. As for designers...I trust Sal and Eric utterly and would prefer an in house design over a collaboration. FRN handles would also seem appropriate on a knife of this price range, plus I think the utility and traction would be perfect. I'd buy a couple for sure...one for outdoor use at home and one as a beater fixed blade for work.

---> Branden
Eee

Post by Eee »

I'd suggest that a scandi grind doesn't play to Byrd's strengths as it would go into direct competition with Mora.

Byrd seems to me to be about ergonomic utility. There it a certain honesty to them. When I am being honest with myself I realise I spend a fair bit of time doing food prep, with other tasks as add ons.

So how about something:
Ffg
CTS BD1
PE & SE options
Leaf blade
Enough height to have some drop on a chopping board
Frn handle onto aqua salt style tang for easy washing
Thin enough to be slicy, thick enough to split small kindling and do feather sticks.

Happy to draw something up in the next couple of days
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

If we are going traditional a skinner type knife 3.5"-4" would be nice. If not a drop point 5" would work. In a more exotic shape a 4" wharncliffe blade would come in handy and it goes well with the Byrd name and comet hole.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
v8r

Post by v8r »

Wharnecliff style blade with Mule handle shape. This would make handle scales from Halpern titanium readily adaptable to the platform. Spyderco could package it with some basic black g10 handles and sheath, but for those of us that want to customize , the scales could be swapped out easily.
sal

Post by sal »

We are thinking 2 models. One large and one smaller utility. We have a maker that looks good and wants to try to work with US steels.

sal
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

sal wrote:We are thinking 2 models. One large and one smaller utility. We have a maker that looks good and wants to try to work with US steels.

sal
Thats cool news which steels were you considering?
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE