Question about the Byrd line

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
akapennypincher

Question about the Byrd line

Post by akapennypincher »

I owned one Byrd, a rescue. Too me it was an inferior, cheap version of a RESCUE Jr. Are my ideas wrong, or on the MONEY?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Well the byrds are by design, economically priced knives with decent materials and great design. Many of them have a Spyderco line counterpart like the rescue. For the money, they are excellent knives and hard to beat at their price point.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I guess it depends on your definition of "inferior". If based on F&F and overall aesthetic, probably. If based on an unreliable tool, it shouldn't be.

Otherwise the cheap clone of the original is pretty much the idea behind most of the Byrd knives. High performance tools without all the fancy bells and whistles.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

You hit the nail, F&F and overall aesthetic.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

The only Byrd I ever have had an issue with in regards to F&F was the Byrd Flight. The edges on the pivot end of the slabs were not very well smoothed so it tore up my hand a bit when I reached into my pocket. My Cara Cara 2 and Meadowlark 2 are perfectly acceptable tools with no F&F issues and an excellent quality steel for the money.
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

akapennypincher, while the Cara Cara Rescue I gave to my woman to my eyes is made well, with a rather satisfying action to the lock, the model (as all byrds) is selling for drastically less than the standard Rescue. I would not expect it to be as good as the :spyder: model. My experience has been, however, that the byrds I own are reliable effective cutters that may need to be sharpened a bit more often but otherwise seem to carry similar durability/usability to their :spyder: counterparts. There are even some things I prefer in the byrd versions of knives, and the price is impressive. Without knowing what you consider inferior or cheap about the Rescue you have, it is difficult to give you a useful answer. If your concern is simply that a $20 knife does not live up to your expectations of a $70 knife, then you may find that the byrd line is not for you.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
tinnytots

Post by tinnytots »

I ever further to simulation the evaluation noesis and this event I recovered in you communicator. Your article has helped me to understand this subject on a different level.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Question about the Byrd line

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

My friend, the Byrd knives are excellent. I would suggest every knife user, collector, and lover get at least one Byrd knife, hopefully more. Remember, as others have stated, the Byrds are an economical user friendly knife line. I would go so far as to say Spyderco Byrd knives are the best knives you can buy, made in China, and they beat out all other brands. Spyderco rules.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I think the economic version of a rescue is great, for one, it's more than adequete for a car crash...
jakson22

Post by jakson22 »

My friend, the Byrd knives are excellent. I would suggest every knife user, collector, and lover get at least one Byrd knife, hopefully more. Remember, as others have stated, the Byrds are an economical user friendly knife line.
asad
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jakson,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I agree completely with you Jakson. The Byrd knives are superb and are economical and great quality. I have one I have been using for a wide range of household chores, everything from cutting down cardboard boxes to opening mail and everything in between, the edge is still very sharp, the steel is good, the handle fits well and is ergonomic, and it is lightweight and resistant to the elements. This is the Cara Cara. I also have a Byrd Rescue and it is equally well-designed and well-made.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I also own a Cara Cara 1 and a Byrd rescue knife. They are amazing for their price, and they both live in my car. The only thing I'm not wild about on Byrds is the opening hole. I vastly prefer the round hole.
danospydermano

Post by danospydermano »

I own two Byrd knives and I like the opening hole on them just as much as the Spydie-Hole. The Robin 2 Serrated (BY10SBK2) is my "House Pants" [read: sweats] knife and the other is an older Meadowlark Rescue (BY19SBK) and it is in my bunker gear to cut people out of seat belts if I need to (I rounded the tip and end of the blade on my bench grinder for safety). I found both at my local sporting goods store, who has a few Spyderco's and a few Byrd's from, who-knows-how-long-ago? The Meadowlark was in the old blister/box combo package while the Robin was in the black & green box package.
If carrying 2-is-1 and One-is-None...What is Five?