Where are the Byrds made?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Where are the Byrds made?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Are they manufactured in mainland China, or in Taiwan, or where?

Also, how could I get one of the original Cara Cara FRNs?
sal

Re: Where are the Byrds made?

Post by sal »

Hi
SpyderEdgeForever,

All of the byrds are made in Mainland China.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you, sal. I am considering purchasing a Cara Cara FRN 2, with combo-edge.
sal

Post by sal »

It's a popular model and customers seem to like it. We're working with a new maker, well actually the management team of the old maker began their own factory when the owner went out of business. They current production is better than ever.

sal
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Can't wait to try out a G10 Cara Cara. I'll be ordering one this week.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I have no issues with Byrds being made in China. I feel Sal makes Byrds in China as a way to bring legitimate Spyderco designs into the hands of people that cannot afford, or just want a quality knife.

Plus the Byrd profits allow Sal and his family a night once a month at Casa Bonita.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Screwdriver wrote:I have no issues with Byrds being made in China. I feel Sal makes Byrds in China as a way to bring legitimate Spyderco designs into the hands of people that cannot afford, or just want a quality knife.

Plus the Byrd profits allow Sal and his family a night once a month at Casa Bonita.
Once in a lifetime is enough Casa Bonita for me. :eek:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Screwdriver wrote:I have no issues with Byrds being made in China. I feel Sal makes Byrds in China as a way to bring legitimate Spyderco designs into the hands of people that cannot afford, or just want a quality knife.

Once in a lifetime is enough Casa Bonita for me. :eek:
You sir are the enemy of fun.....Casa Bonita is why marijuana was legalized in Colorado. It is a national treasure of this great nation.
bearfacedkiller

I do believe that it is a cultural experience and a national treasure but the food is just aweful. It is certainly unique and entertaining but it is the school lunch equivalent of Mexican food. I think every American should go at least once in their lifetime but if they chose to stick to margaritas while there that might not be a bad idea. :) I moved to Colorado many years ago and it was one of the first things I did when I got here. I was so excited. I had no idea the Glesser family were such big Casa Bonita fans. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I was born in Golden.....off Colfax on a street called Youngfield Rd. Casa Bonita's does suck, but when it opened it was in line with the crap that most Mexican places in Denver made. My Grandmother used to loves some Mexican joint, don't remember the name, but she loved that they used traditional Mexican ground beef in the crunchy tacos.

Anyhow, when I moved to Los Angeles, I learned what real Mexican food tastes like.

Casa Bonita is still a great place to visit for the first time, bring kids to....or when you are stoned. If you go for the food, then I would question your sanity.
bearfacedkiller

Yup, Youngfield and Colfax, I work real close to there. It is quite developed over there now.
-Darby
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Yup, Youngfield and Colfax, I work real close to there. It is quite developed over there now.
Yeah, freaks me out. When I was a kid, we would walk for what seems like miles in the snow through the woods. My grandfather was a main contractor and built most of the homes around there. We just sold his house that he built and lived in.....

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1270- ... 3177_zpid/" target="_blank
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Your grandfather had good taste. That house is gorgeous.