Byrd Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
araneae

Byrd Fixed Blade

Post by araneae »

It seems to me that a Byrd fixed blade is long overdue from the line up. I would guess that a somewhat traditionally styled knife at a $30-$40 street price would be a hit. A drop point and clip point based off the same handle and around 8.5" overall would be my thought. I would bet there are lots of entry level hunters/campers/backpackers out there that would scoop one up. I would say 8Cr or CTS-BD1 with a micarta or G-10 handle and a nice nylon sheath.

Has this been considered Sal?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Haven't done much with that. Fixed blade models are difficult even in Spyderco's line. I think we're starting to break ground.

sal
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I could be wrong but I doubt you would see $30-40 street price. Wasn't the mov13 mule $40 plus shipping?
araneae

Post by araneae »

.357 mag wrote:I could be wrong but I doubt you would see $30-40 street price. Wasn't the mov13 mule $40 plus shipping?
It was $19.95 for the 9Cr18 mule, 8Cr13 is cheaper steel.
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:Haven't done much with that. Fixed blade models are difficult even in Spyderco's line. I think we're starting to break ground.

sal
My thinking is that your models are all a bit expensive for the average Joe. Not that they aren't worth it, but if you look at competitors like SOG that have the field pup, which can be had a 1/2 the price of an Enuff. I think the Byrds could compete in that entry price range and I know you guys would have better designs than your competitors. Just my $.02.
-Nick

.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

araneae wrote:It was $19.95 for the 9Cr18 mule, 8Cr13 is cheaper steel.
O. Guess that would right in there.
v8r

Post by v8r »

A Mule in 8cr13mov with a comet shaped hole is a idea. Order a set of Halpern Titanium scales and there ya go.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Cyblade2020

Post by Cyblade2020 »

A 4" bladed full tanged Temperance lookalike with frn scales in 8cr13mov with a comet shaped hole with an injection molded sheath. No muss no fuss nothing fancy just a nice working fixed blade in the 30-40.00 range would be perfect.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

just make inexpensive steel mules with a comet hole that sure would sale as entry level hunting knife. just wrap some paracord around the handle, $30 out the door. There would probably be 10 of those under my Christmas tree this December as gifts for friends and family and of course 2 for me.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I don't know if the lineup of Spyderco or the facilities' capacities allow but I would be interested in a Byrd fixed blade.

Right now almost half of my favourite knives are Spyderco fixed blades (and almost the rest of my most appreciated blades are Spyderco/Byrd folders).
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The main issue as I see it with a byrd fixed blade is that inexpensive fixed blades for various purposes have been around since long before Mr. Glesser started this company, and given the somewhat ineffectual intellectual property laws in much of Asia, a quality innovative knife will be quickly undercut by inexpensive copies.

I do think there would be a market for fixed blade throwers and Karambits, but regional (as in China and other competing developing economies) competition is fierce, and the much larger companies have generally been doing much of their manufacturing in China for years. Something would need to stand out and be unique enough to get the market eye interested before everyone else copied it (and, inevitably, they will).

The engineering and design for reliable performance is a standout trait in any folder (positive action, reliable easy to maintain lock, before even using the knife, any spyderco afi will recognize that a :spyder: is built to last. A byrd branded equivalent to a buck 119 would be a slow seller without something to really distinguish it, and better materials is not an effective marketing point when it comes to products made in China both in terms of perception and in terms of tariffs on using US steel in the knives, making it impossible to compete on price.

Do the chinese manufacturers have any carbon steels available? A good old fashioned tool steel knife, assuming the heat treat facilities are there, could make a standout blade. Consumers often complain that the steels currently used are not stainless enough anyway.

I've also been mulling over ideas for a rescue tool that would work well as a fixed blade, and be legal for carry by Save and Serve type professions. That could work, I think.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
liana

Re: Byrd Fixed Blade

Post by liana »

What's this? No takers on the 110V Forum Native? :) Aside from that model, I too like the Native III (despite it's rather rotund handle shape, of course).
liana
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

liana wrote:What's this? No takers on the 110V Forum Native? :) Aside from that model, I too like the Native III (despite it's rather rotund handle shape, of course).
Welcome to the forum, but I think you may be lost.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Liana,

Welcome to our forum.

As Yab mentioned, you might be posting in the wrong area.

sal
endgame

Post by endgame »

maybe you should do a byrd dive knife with my idea for the nuetral buoyant dive knife sal
sal

Post by sal »

A dive knife would have to be H1, which the Chinese do not have available.

sal
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

We already had a discussion on a possible byrd fixed blade some years ago.
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=39321" target="_blank

I'd still like to see one, although now I'd go with a middle size between the Enuff and Temperance series. Blade length about 8cm with a leafshape FFG 8Cr13MoV blade, ergonomic handle, no fuss sheath-system that works in several positions; throw in the Byrd quality and you'd have a winner.

Ookami
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Behold my newest suggestion for a Byrd fixed blade: the Featherweight!
(click to enlarge)
Featherweight.jpg
Byrd hole in the FFG blade, stylized flight feather as the handle design. Either hidden or full tang.

Ookami
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cameron,

Welcome to our forum.

I don't think I understand your question.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

I guess wed can consider a fixed blade byrd at this time. We finally think we have the makers sorted. I'll get it on the list,

sal