fire byrd

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
endgame

fire byrd

Post by endgame »

Just got my fire Byrd lighter case its so cool no play in the blade at all fits large bik lighters.I really like this style.I have had one with refillable lighters on it but they were junk and the blade crape.this is a well built tool sharp blade and all.if you can find one still out there and smoke or just like to carry a lighter this should be in you're pocket.the blade is two inches the same blade on the Byrd wrench.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The firebyrd is excellent in value and function. It is my favorite implement to open beer bottles with and the steel body is very stout - I'm pretty sure that with some care I could use it as a hammer - and have used it for hammerlike tasks. The body fits the hand well and looks good IMO. Perfect fit for a standard-sized Bic lighter. The blade is not especially long but action is still good after fairly serious use,, and it's super easy to sharpen to a ridiculous level of sharpness due to being basically a stubby Wharncliff shape. It is fairly effective with a magnesium starter and would probably be great with a firesteel as the comet shaped opening hole will catch most any firesteel I commonly see. Just a great implement at a great price - one of the best built basic multifunction camping implements available.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Bluesman0514

Post by Bluesman0514 »

Why is this product discontinued? I have personally bought like 4 of these. Two for myself and two more for gifts. I teach agriculture and I'm also an archery coach. This knife is a great tool that I keep in my bow toolbox to use when I'm cutting off old nock point indicators and I use the lighter to singe the serving thread when I tie new serving thread nock point indicators. The style of archery we have in our school does not allow brass nock points so the serving thread is a necessity. This tool makes it easy to have what I need to get the job done and by the knife and lighter and hammer all together in one tool, it helps keep my bow tool box organized.

Bring this design back. I have students and other archery coaches that are asking me where to buy these and they can't find them anywhere. This is NOT a product that should have been discontinued.

Thanks,

Scott
If you don't use your head you might as well been born with two arses.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I guess you didn't see that box full of them at the seconds sale a few years ago. There were enough of them there to make me think quality control issues were a factor in the decision to discontinue them.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Bluesman0514

Post by Bluesman0514 »

No, I didn't. Wish I did though. I could probably sell a hundred of em this weekend to other archery coaches and kids. Everyone keeps asking me where I got mine and want one for themselves. I have never had a quality issue with mine other than the daggum lighter is sometimes hard to get out once it is empty and needs to be replaced. Other than that, I have no complaints. Blade is easy to sharpen and stays razor sharp with minimal maintenance. I do wish the blade was a wee bit longer but other than that, I am super happy with it and would be willing to buy a few extra if opportunity ever arose.'
If you don't use your head you might as well been born with two arses.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

:eek: never knew these existed until now. Let the hunt begin haha.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Yeah found out about these not long ago but a little late, also about the sprint run Byrd knife the CatByrd Ti
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

All titanium Sprint please? :eek: :D
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

at cutleryshoppe??? :000
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I'll have to keep my eyes open a little wider. Thanks!
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

Neat idea, sorry I missed them!
303_enfield

Re: fire byrd

Post by 303_enfield »

Been watching one on an auction site. Firebird is over $160 an climbing. Now, I miss mine!
Always looking for the right one :)
endgame

Post by endgame »

I still use mine everyday wow I can belueve how pricy it got.I love mine .picjet clip fell off but I dont useit anywayI
endgame

Post by endgame »

I actually just found 2 I bought them up right away and into the safe they go.to tell you the truth the blade on this knife is the most used blade I have hands down I live it I wish sal would make a sprint run;
sal

Post by sal »

We don't think that the maker that originally made them can improve the quality. Working with a new maker probably means new tooling. We'll see what interest is there.

sal
endgame

Post by endgame »

Thanks sal maybe since people think its to big make a mini bic one
ALLEN

Post by ALLEN »

this is a good post
imran
setldown

Post by setldown »

I get that feeling that I'm forgetting something if it's not in my pocket. One of my favorites for sure.
I'd love to see them return.
Last edited by setldown on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.