Byrd line origin?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Candyman

Byrd line origin?

Post by Candyman »

What year did Spyderco start the Byrd line?

Rich
Think for yourself
The Deacon

Re: Byrd line origin?

Post by The Deacon »

If memory serves, it was late 2004. First one was called the Harrier, which looked something like a knockoff of the Schempp Persian. Clip is flimsy, feels like tin can stock> OTOH, I have to say that to my eyes the rounded scales show off the micarta better than the flat ones on the Persian. Spyderco found the quality to be lacking, so it didn't last long. Next, IIRC, were the Meadowlark and Cara Cara.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Great, thanks for the information. I was actually trying to find out information on the exact knife you posted!
Think for yourself
sal

Post by sal »

As Deacon mentioned, the quality was vacant. Long term plan calls for an updated "Harrier" model. We've been working with a variety of makers in China for a while now. As with Japan, we found some of the "good" makers and began raising quality levels. We're actually working with a few that are very good, and they appreciate the opportunity to work with a quality oriented company..

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

You can congratulate the Raven 2 factory from me! Excellent knife! That and the Crow 2 feel like they aren't made in China at all :)
EDIT: You can pat yourself on the back as well Sal for a great design that leaves the Tenacious for dead IMO.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

That's good to hear. I really like the look of this knife and I'm really a sucker for wood scales too.
Reminds me of a knife I would've found when rummaging through my Grandpas old boxes of hunting and fishing gear.
Rich
Think for yourself
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Larry,

I've been working closely with the maker for more than a decade. He's been coming along nicely. He's now working on two new Spyderco designs.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

That's nice news!
Can't wait to see them! Any idea if they will launch in the forseeable future?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
timlara

Post by timlara »

Totally agree, I really like my Crow 2. IMO, it has crossed the line from "good for the price" to just "good because it's good".
Tim
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

timlara wrote:Totally agree, I really like my Crow 2. IMO, it has crossed the line from "good for the price" to just "good because it's good".
Exactly! Raven/Crow are good knives! No if's and but's, just plain really good knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, I have a question. IF the Japanese who make the Enduras and others were to make a version of the Byrd, say, the Cara Cara, would there be a definite difference in the grind and feel and shape, or would it be mostly the same level of quality and structure to it?

My Byrd Cara Cara is right with me and man what an excellent knife. Thanks!
sal

Post by sal »

The Japanese steels are better and the fit and finish would probably be better, but the downside would be a much more expensive knife.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thanks, sal. Yeah the Byrd Cara Cara is great. I lent it to someone else for general-cutting chores and they were amazed at the combination of economical price and superb quality, compressed into one well-designed knife. I said "That's Spyderco, best in the world."
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

I've been very impressed with the quality level of the recent Byrds. I really like the G-10 models especially and just started working with a Ti handle Cara Cara. They're my go to suggestion for folks who need a good folder but don't have a big budget. I've given a number of guys at work (police officers) Byrds when I've caught them with subpar folders :-p
Tim
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:Thanx Larry,

I've been working closely with the maker for more than a decade. He's been coming along nicely. He's now working on two new Spyderco designs.

sal
Would that by any chance be the Efficient and Polestar? :)