Meadowlark

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Jsd

Meadowlark

Post by Jsd »

I just got a meadowlark in frn. It was very stiff upon opening and closing. So it disassembled it, polished the blade tang and the surfaces of the liner where the washers are. This made it much smoother. The only problem is the spring is not as strong. It still functions to pull the blade back into the handle, it is just much weaker. The spring is a black wire that had a rough looking small bend just before the contact with the lock bar. Are there replacement springs I can get for this knife?
Jsd

Re: Meadowlark

Post by Jsd »

By the way I really like this knife. It's a great design and a super value. I can imagine how much of a challenge it is to find a good manufacturer in China that can produce up to your standards consistently.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JSD.

It sounds like you didn't get the spring all the way into the pocket or maybe have it reversed.

sal
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

Thanks for your reply Sal. I took it apart again to see if it was seated properly or out of place. It seems to be all the way back in the slot and the bend is going up to the lock bar and the tip of the spring is in contact with the lock bar in the correct place. If I loosen the pivot screw until the blade is loose the spring is firmer but still not where it should be. I may have done something wrong but I have checked and rechecked and it looks right. I reassembled it putting the lock bar in last, all the screws and bolts are down and in place.
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

This is why I took the Byrd apart and not my Spyderco, so if I screwed it up it would not be as bad.
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

My solution was to buy another one. I like the knife very much.
Art Vandalay

Post by Art Vandalay »

I had the same thing happen to me. When you are reassembling, the side of the spring towards the handle has a tendency to push the bottom frn support out of alignment, compromising the stability. Its a bit tricky, but you need to make sure that piece is straight. If that tiny molded frn pin does not seat perfectly with the liner, the spring will not be able to provide the proper working tension.
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

Thanks Art that is the issue. The pin had some frayed plastic around it where it goes through the support. It looked like a pole in your yard that had not been weed whacked. The frayed plastic prevented it from seating in the liner properly. I cut some of extra plastic off so it would fit into the hole better. Then I found that the pin moved back and forth in the support. The pin is definitely the problem. I need to find a way to secure the pin in the support without any extra material collecting around the base of the pin like there was before. I don't know if I can fix that. I may need a new support/spacer. Thank you for your help!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Make sure the plastic tab is secured in the liner holes, re-assemble it without the lockbar and lockbar pivot. Last to put is the lockbar and the pivot.

Some illustration:
https://youtu.be/PQqUFxe5leA
by our member unit.

And
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... -Spyderco/

God luck and hopefully it helps.
Chris :spyder:
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

Thanks Chris,
I did put the lock bar in last as in the video. The problem on my meadowlark is, the spacer that holds the spring has a little pin in the middle that positiones it on the liners. That little pin had some extra plastic around it that would not let the spacer properly seat in the liner. The spring then, was not able to have the support to generate proper tension. I cleaned the extra plastic from around the little pin and now the pin slides back and forth in the spacer and won't seat properly. It could be that I messed it up trying to clean the extra plastic off the pin so it would fit into the tiny holes in the liners. Either way when I took the meadowlark apart the spacer would not properly seat in the liners.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jsd,

You're right that the plastic support needs to be properly engaged with the liner so that the pressure from the spring will not bend it down.
It there's no nub to hold it in the liner (or loose), the spring will not have enough support.

Perhaps you do need to buy a new one.
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

Thanks for your help Chris. I bought a new knife as my fix. I don't know if I can get a replacement spacer or not. The moral of this story is don't take the Meadowlark apart.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

You're welcome! I live so far from Spyderco that sending it back might cost the same as buying new. So those that I can tweak, I just do, all risk considered ;).

If you believe the defect is because assembly by factory, why don't try writing to CS. The worst is only 'sorry can't help' but you can share the issue for their improvement moving forward.
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

My new Meadowlark is broken in and working beautifully. Smooth and strong with no alterations by me, other than oil. Great knife.