Sage Clip on a Crow 2 ?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
archie

Sage Clip on a Crow 2 ?

Post by archie »

Hi all,
I fell for the new crow and will get one ASAP as my EDC knife. Such a great design this affordable looks to be quite unique. Congrats to all involved :)

I was all over the Sage line until now (top of the line, no competition EDC for me) but I am reluctant to have an expensive knife in my pocket at all time, likely to lose it once in a while. The crow 2 addresses the issue brilliantly as I would have no second thoughts reordering when needed.

The only thing that bothers me is the pocket clip. Modest, concealed, deep carry and just perfect on the Sage, the clip on the Crow is very noticeable, to the point of bothering me. While I understand how the clip is no priority on a value knife, I would add to the budget to have it replaced with a wire clip on mine.

Would the Sage clip fit ? Another one ? If so, would I be able to order one?

Appreciate any input.
archie - France.
farnorthdan

Re: Sage Clip on a Crow 2 ?

Post by farnorthdan »

Sorry Archie can't answer your question, just wanted to welcome you to the forum :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
araneae

Post by araneae »

You would have to modify the handle or find someone who could. The Sage clip isn't going to fit a stock Crow 2 handle.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
archie

Post by archie »

Thanks, that makes things simple...I just found my next DIY project ... I think. Or just buy a Sage and try not to lose it. I would really like good steel. Wish I knew more about BD1 and this treatment Sal seems to appreciate on an otherwise not well liked steel for knives. Here I am, digressing already :)
Thanks for the warm welcome.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

From what I've read, BD-1 is a US made equivalent to GIN-1. GIN-1 is not the "latest and greatest", but it was Spyderco's most used steel for nearly 20 years and is still used by a number of makers.

Given the placement of the lanyard hole, not sure if milling slots in the Crow's handle for a wire clip would be feasible, unless you milled them around the pivot screw for TD carry. You could probably find someone to make a custom "waterfall" style deep carry clip for it but, in the end, your total would be about the same as buying a Sage 1.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

A deep carry clip for a Tenacious or Persistence should fit the Crow 2. I put one on my Raven 2. You will have to use the stock screws.
A quick search on the bay will bring up some results.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.