Byrd Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
araneae

Re: Byrd Fixed Blade

Post by araneae »

I would like to see a small bushcraft style blade- I like the battle horse knives bushcrafter. A good general purpose blade not too thick in blade stock. I think the enuff is overly thick stock for its size.

What are you thinking sheath wise? I'd like to see a good pouch style sheath, vs molded.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Judging by the sales themed signature, he is probably a non-legit user. :p

I'll report him and let Kristi sort it out.

*edit* I was looking at an older post in this thread and thought it was more current than it actually was.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Loon: 3" modified spearpoint blade, 5" handle. Black FRN, 420HC.
Cheap mid-size fixed blade built for comfort, inspired by the Loon's spearpoint bill. $40 MSRP.
:p
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Araneae,

True Bushcraft knives are far more complicated than just drawing a picture. Do you mean a Scandi grind? We're open to opinions on sheaths? Material? Style?

Hey Klown,

We probably wouldn't use 420HC, but we'll consider the design.

sal
v8r

Post by v8r »

CyberKlown28 wrote:Loon: 3" modified spearpoint blade, 5" handle. Black FRN, 420HC.
Cheap mid-size fixed blade built for comfort, inspired by the Loon's spearpoint bill. $40 MSRP.
:p
dude really? 420HC? 8cr13mov is a much better steel in my opinion. My buck 110 has 420HC blade
Steel. It is a great knife, but the blade steel sucks. 8cr13mov steel takes a razor edge and holds it longer than 420HC from my experience.

Sal a wharnecliff fixed blade would be really cool. 3.5 inch blade would be great, and throw some green G10 scales on it. i really dig wharnies , and a fixed blade would be awesome.
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:Hi Araneae,

True Bushcraft knives are far more complicated than just drawing a picture. Do you mean a Scandi grind? We're open to opinions on sheaths? Material? Style?

sal
I guess I am thinking just a good all around user, not over built or tactical,and not necessarily a scandi grind. I have handled the Enuff and feel its stock is too thick for my needs. 2.5 or 3.0mm thickness, 90-100mm blade length, handle length ~120mm. Maybe a 2nd version with a shorter blade?
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Clip point, Rhino style at least 4" blade, I have to have full tang. Perhaps 8CR13 or even better CTS-BD1 steel, Nice Bi-Directional FRN grip. Can it happen, ya never no!!
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would love to see a Byrd style Warrior or Byrd style Caspian Salt.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Any further thoughts on this Sal?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 »

Being new to the products as a general rule... I like fixed blades... I would be on this with a quickness.
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

I love this thread! (I was just fantasizing about a 1/3 larger, fixed version of the Dragonfly)
I would like to see a wharncliffe or tanto - ish blade, Japanese style, called the Crane or "Tancho".
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shoggoth, Sorens,

Welcome to our forum.

Hi Araneae,

We're working on 2 models.

sal
shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 »

Very cool. I will have to stay on this topic. I EDC a Byrd because I won't cry if I lose it, use it up etc. It's been serving me well since I got it, and I can say that I am rather surprised, and pleased with the quality of it at the price point.
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote: Hi Araneae,

We're working on 2 models.

sal
Sounds great. Waiting with interest.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

A love child from the Mule and the Ronin2.Full tang,skeletonized wrapped in paracord,with the option open for custom scales.If it would hit the market at a price of 50-70 $-depending on the steel used- it would sell like crazy and it will not be expensive enough for the ''clonators''.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
v8r

Post by v8r »

How about a fixed blade hawkbill? Throw some textured g10 scales on it (some other color besides black please).
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

A Byrd fixed blade would be nice. Something I can use hard and not feel to bad about hurting.

Also

Id like to see some Byrd throwing knives.

I know I'm a little off topic with them but knife throwing is a hobby of mine and I'd like to use a product from my favorite maker.

It took years but I don't throw my enduras anymore. Spyderco is absent in my throwing knife fun . It shouldn't be.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Must admit, would like to see a couple of Byrd fixed-blades. Sadly, SOG's entry-level fixed blades don't seem to hold up as well as their higher quality offerings.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

sal wrote:Hi Araneae,

Hey Klown,

We probably wouldn't use 420HC, but we'll consider the design.

sal
Sal,
I know you didn't ask my opinion but I thought maybe I would give you my $.02 on what a Byrd bushcrafting knife would be nice to have. (this and a Byrd flipper would be my favorites!)

- A Scandi grind has stood the test of time, and for good reason. It is very popular, but also a FFG would also probably work pretty well. I would be happy with either so it might just be best to go with whatever is less expensive to produce in the spirit of making as much of a budget knife as possible.

- The blade shape of the original Spyderco Bushcraft is a good shape but I would like to see the spine perfectly straight all the way to the tip to allow more belly at the tip.

- Also a sharp cornered spine to throw sparks on a ferro rod is popular. I have never needed it but some like the option so no reason not to have it unless it will add to the cost.

- Although I personally would like a 5 inch blade, the 4 inch blade is universally accepted as the ideal blade length.

- Blade steel is a bit tricky, high corrosion resistance is a must-have for me and for most of the guys I have talked to (in person) about the matter. After corrosion resistance, a good mix of edge retention and ease of sharpening are the attributes most valued. Is CTS BD-1 falling into this category? I know it is being used by the Byrd line already but I do not have any experience putting that steel to the test.

- Handle material would like to be something that has good traction even with gloves on and would not transfer heat out of a bare hand in cold weather. I think FRN would fit this bill but I know the molds to make the handles are expensive and many blades would have to be sold in order to keep the cost down as a budget knife.

- Handle color (and perhaps sheath color) is a sore spot for me. Anyone who has ever been out in leaf litter in a northern Wisconsin autumn knows that red and orange are not as "hi-vis" as they claim to be. Some guys want a dark or tactical colored knife and I get that. Me? I want a neon blue or a hot pink or even a bright purple or teal. Something that will stand out and allow me to not lose the knife in the red,orange,yellow,green,brown, and blacks of the woods. I am probably the odd one for not wanting a 'manly" colored knife but I would rather have a bright knife than lose my knife.

- Sheathes for a budget knife can be the place to cut costs. I have never had a fixed blade that I used the original sheath and attached it to my belt. Normally the knife is sheathed and strapped to my pack (or inside my pack). A knife is not for defense, my gun is, so the knife does not need to be within reach at all times. If I am going to carry the knife in any other fashion I will get a sheath specially made for scout carry or thigh carry. Having said all that, really the sheath just needs to have good retention and not allow any rattling. YMMY but for me a sheath is just something to cover the blade until I need it.

- Prefer the sheath color to be the same color as the handle if it a highly visible color.

I hope that maybe helps in some way!
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

A related thought: Regardless of the final blade shape or shapes, would it be best if a Byrd fixed blade had a combo edge, or, a fully serrated edge, or, plain edge? Which would be most practical?