Anyone else here a wharncliffe guy?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Rho66

Anyone else here a wharncliffe guy?

Post by Rho66 »

I really like the look and the "utility" feel of the wharncliffe blade shape.The new Kiwi 4 is killing me, but i'm still a budget knife guy and if i spend that much on a blade it will just sit and never really get used. What i'd really like to see is a Robin sized Byrd with the same blade design.

Anyone else?
AJ
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Jagged77

Re: Anyone else here a wharncliffe guy?

Post by Jagged77 »

Yep I'm with you on that, I fact I just popped on to see if there was any discussion on smaller Wharncliffe's....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm one of the resident wharnie guys (I think that's fair to say, I own 3 Yojimbo 2's). I can't help with the byrd line, but as far as wharnies go I actually prefer a blade with a very slight belly like a Delica or Manix 2. Just saying, since if there aren't any true wharnie options in the byrd lineup, maybe give something with a slight belly a try and see how it works for you.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

IMHO, the best wharncliffe Spyderco made is the Centofante 4, if you can find one, buy it without hesitation!

Outside of Spydieland, a workhouse of a wharncliffe edc is the Kershaw "needs work", a very affordable knife that can take a beating.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Look for a Byrd Pelican. They were discontinued several years ago. They are as close as your going to get in a whatnecliff style blade in a Byrd. It's actually a sheepsfoot blade, but can easily be modified to a wharnecliff.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wasn't the Pelican fairly thick geometry? I'm sure there were reasons for it's disappearance but I would appreciate something similar with a lighter chassis (like the Flight/Crossbill G10 handle) and a bit thinner grind.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Both of mine cut fine, don't know about thick geometry. It's a hollow ground blade so it wouldn't have the slicing capability of a flat grind, but works great for normal everyday use.

I think the main issue was slow sales.The tip of the blade would hit the backspacer if the blade was pressed down farther than its normal position when closed also. I just took a dremel to mine and ground a recess on the inside of the backspacer to cure the problem.

I think it would be a great knife with just a few refinements.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ahh, I just remember hearing that. Maybe it was in the midst of the FFG craze. I was very impressed with my Dad's Flight so that makes more sense.

My problem was the SS handles. That and it was dropped prior to me coming on-board. I remember seeing them on eBay discontinued and should have grabbed one.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Evil D wrote:\as far as wharnies go I actually prefer a blade with a very slight belly like a Delica or Manix 2.
That's what so intrigues me about the PPT. It has this incredibly subtle curve to it. I'm very interested to check one out and hopefully get the sprint run that's coming up.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Knivesinedc wrote:
Evil D wrote:\as far as wharnies go I actually prefer a blade with a very slight belly like a Delica or Manix 2.
That's what so intrigues me about the PPT. It has this incredibly subtle curve to it. I'm very interested to check one out and hopefully get the sprint run that's coming up.

I agree...I really wish this sprint had a different steel just to sweeten the deal. I'm definitely going to check one out though, it may be the closest I'll ever get to my DLC Yo 2.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Caly 3.5 fits your Wharn-belly description to a tee. Endura is a close example too