Pictures are getting cut off

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
gbelleh

Pictures are getting cut off

Post by gbelleh »

It seems the right side of pictures are getting cut off. Maybe there's a setting to allow for 100% width for images?

Looks great otherwise.
Thanks again.
:bug-red-white
Surfingringo

Re: Pictures are getting cut off

Post by Surfingringo »

Yes, I'm having the same problem on ipad and iphone. Others have said they are not having an issue. Wonder if it could have to do with the type of device?
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm from the old school of a web browser should be in a window and about 1024 pixels wide due to the old days and running full screen on 1024x768. On my 2560x1440 monitor at home, I have enough room to make the window wide enough to see all of the images.

I notice the width of your browser makes a big difference. Lance, in landscape does it get cut off? Really, an iPad? An old one?

Does it allow you to scale out enough to fit the images?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just did a little research, and it seems phpBB should allow for resizing images, or adjusting max-width of images to 100%.
But I'm no expert, and I've never used this software myself.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Kristi, I hope you're reading this thread. There is an image resize issue happening with the forum software.

You guys need to follow the instructions in this thread to add the right code to the Spyderco forum software. Hope this helps, not being able to see full-size images is driving me crazy!!

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2203461
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Hi Kristi, I hope you're reading this thread. There is an image resize issue happening with the forum software.

You guys need to follow the instructions in this thread to add the right code to the Spyderco forum software. Hope this helps, not being able to see full-size images is driving me crazy!!

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2203461
Yes, I'm reading this thread (and all the others posted in this area - that's what it's here for after all :p ).

We're working on all of the issues as we find them and as we have time. I've spent several hours today working on various issues. So, please be patient as we work through them. Please keep in mind that this is new software - for everyone, us included. It's going to take a little time to find our way through it all. It is a VERY robust program, but most importantly it is a much safer environment for our forum.

This community is extremely important and we hope that the time and effort invested in the software change provides you all an improved and safe online home.

Thanks for hanging in there with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

In the meantime, you can quickly and easily resize your image prior to uploading to post using http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I've had success with images... I think. I couldn't reproduce images getting cut off on any of my devices, but we've made some changes and I've uploaded an image below as an example. Could one of you please check and see if there are any changes where you saw cut off images? Keep in mind you may need to clear cookies or refresh with F5 for the changes we've made to be noticeable.
Automatics Art.jpg
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TazKristi wrote:I've had success with images... I think. I couldn't reproduce images getting cut off on any of my devices, but we've made some changes and I've uploaded an image below as an example. Could one of you please check and see if there are any changes where you saw cut off images? Keep in mind you may need to clear cookies or refresh with F5 for the changes we've made to be noticeable.
Kristi, I'm running the latest FireFox on a Win 7 desktop with a 1920X1200 display. On that platform, the Autonomy photo you're teasing me with :o appears as a 400 X 267 "thumbnail" embedded in your post. If I click on it, it scales up to fill the display, regardless of what size and shape my browser window is. If I make the window tall and narrow, it fills the horizontal dimension, with black space at top and bottom, equally. If I make the window short and wide, it fills the vertical dimension with black space at both sides, equally. If I click on it again, it goes full size (5184X3456) with scroll bars. Once the image has been clicked on, I must use the back browser button to return to the thread. Behavior is similar in IE 11, Iron, and Google Chrome, except that the "fillers" are white appear only at the bottom and right of the photo in all of those.

Also, regardless of browser, the thumbnail only displays if you are logged in to the forum. Otherwise, I get this message: You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EDITED TO ADD: The issue of images hosted elsewhere getting cut off if the screen or browser window is too narrow, rather than getting scaled down or displayed with scroll bars, still exists.

ALSO, FWIW, I edited this two hours after originally posting it, and there's no indication it's been edited other than my own EDITED TO ADD notation. Not sure if that's desirable or not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

System 1 - Win 7 64 - monitor resolution 2560x1440
  • Chrome V36: The thumbnail in the post is small but if I click on it, the picture expands to the full 5184x3456 size. It does not scale to fit my monitor.
  • IE 11: Small thumbnail expands to slightly larger than my window size when clicked (2052x1368), so a minimal amount of scrolling up/down and left/right is required to see the whole image. A third click expands to full size (5184x3456). Further clicking toggles between the two expanded sizes.
System 2 - OSX 10.9 - monitor resolution 2560x1600
  • Chrome V37: Small thumbnail expands to fill browser window when clicked. A third click expands to full size (5184x3456). Further clicking toggles between the two expanded sizes.
  • Safari 7: Small thumbnail expands to fill browser window when clicked. A third click expands to full size (5184x3456). Further clicking toggles between the two expanded sizes.
System 3 - Android 4.3 - resolution 720x1280
  • Dolphin Browser 11.2: Small thumbnail expands to just larger than screen resolution. Tapping once expands to full resolution. Double tapping zooms back out to just larger than screen size.
  • Chrome V36: Small thumbnail expands to just larger than screen resolution. Double tapping expands to full resolution. Double tapping again zooms out to a correctly scaled for screen size. Subsequent double taps goes back and forth between full resolution and scaled to fit my screen resolution.
In all these cases, I believe that it is the scaling of the browsers themselves that causes these variants, at least on the picture that Kristi posted. It seems that the images hosted elsewhere are the ones getting cut off, which I only have an issue with on my phone. I've encountered the same issue with other phpBB boards when browsing on my phone (I don't have a tablet, but have read of other people having the same image cutoff issue).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mine are cut off on PC and phone. I hope this can be fixed. Is there something I'm not doing, or do I just need patience?
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jazz wrote:Mine are cut off on PC and phone. I hope this can be fixed. Is there something I'm not doing, or do I just need patience?
Am sure it's on Kristi's list of things that need to be fixed, if possible.

Until then, at least on a PC, you can either right click on the part of the photo you can see, select "open link in new tab" and view the photo in that tab, or just click the image to open it, then use your browsers back button to return to the forum. Have no idea if that will work on a smart phone as I've never had any desire to own one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Jazz wrote:Mine are cut off on PC and phone. I hope this can be fixed. Is there something I'm not doing, or do I just need patience?
Patience is definitely going to be required. We are working our way through each issue, but it's going to take time. I'm going to be out of the office for military events for the next 3 weeks. Our webmaster is working on the image issue and we'll get it figured out. But yes, patience is a really good idea. ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, Kristi. I just never know if it's something I'm not doing right. Computers are way above me. Patience it is. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Any news on this? I'm not sure what other issues are being worked on, but for me this is the only thing left that I'm encountering a problem with. Almost every picture I can see on the boards is getting cut off. It doesn't matter which device I use either.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

No news yet. My "day job" has kept me away from forum projects for a bit. For the month of September, I'll be in the office a total of 5 days (not in a row). Hang in there.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for the update Kristi!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This seems to be fixed!
Thank you so much!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I just noticed too! I checked many threads and it seems good on my iPhone.

@liquid_cobra
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks big time, Kristi. You're the woman.
- best wishes, Jazz.