Question about Spyderco warranty????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mkoch27

Question about Spyderco warranty????

Post by mkoch27 »

My Question is quick and simple.

Does taking my spyderco apart really void my warranty?

I have been searching the forums for random stuff and have seen people say taking apart your spyderco will void the warranty. I find this to be a bit ridiculous. i am not trying to offend anyone, but i see taking my knife apart to clean it is a big part of maintenance.

I use my knife everyday for normal everyday stuff and at work. my knife sees diving in fresh water and sees the ground a lot. so when i get home from work whatever i cant wash out I just take it apart and clean and re lube.

Thoughts and answers maybe?
The Deacon

Re: Question about Spyderco warranty????

Post by The Deacon »

Short, simple answer would be - yes, it does.

For a more detailed answer, or if you'd prefer the answer to come directly from a Spyderco employee you can read the first post in this thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=44631
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Maintaining a knife is no more difficult than maintaining a computer. You don't have to disassemble it to clean it.

Others disagree and take knives apart. These people either have the necessary skills, dont care, or both. I've modded $30,000 cars before with warranties; I've just not assumed the maker would pay for damage caused by my decisions.

What aspect of the warranty do you want to maintain? It sounds like this isn't your first Torx driver rodeo.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:What aspect of the warranty do you want to maintain? It sounds like this isn't your first Torx driver rodeo.
That's something I wonder every time this subject comes up. The warranty covers "defects in materials and workmanship" Any defect in workmanship, and probably 90% of all defects in materials, are going to be patently obvious the first time you unpack and inspect a knife. Most of the remaining 10% of defects in materials are things that could not be the owner's fault and would be addressed fairly by Spyderco even if the knife had been disassembled and the warranty was technically void.

OTOH, once a knife has been disassembled, it becomes impossible to tell whether things like poor fit, poor lockup, missing washers, excessive blade play were defects in workmanship or are the fault of the owner.
Paul
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Blerv wrote:Maintaining a knife is no more difficult than maintaining a computer. You don't have to disassemble it to clean it
That makes it sound difficult to me XD

I clash with technology
mkoch27

Post by mkoch27 »

Blerv wrote:Maintaining a knife is no more difficult than maintaining a computer. You don't have to disassemble it to clean it.

Others disagree and take knives apart. These people either have the necessary skills, dont care, or both. I've modded $30,000 cars before with warranties; I've just not assumed the maker would pay for damage caused by my decisions.

What aspect of the warranty do you want to maintain? It sounds like this isn't your first Torx driver rodeo.

Correct, Torx are not new to me. I am also a car mechanic as a hobby; working and taking apart cars/motors is just fun for me. maintaining mechanical things is just something i do by instinct.

Even though i have read that these copper bushing just need to be washed, compressed air dried, then lubed. i am used to metals being used for bearings as in these knives. Knowing there can be some dirt between the frame and the copper bushing/bearing drives me crazy because i know it can put pits and grove lines in the bushing which would help it wear faster.

For a $175 knife i think i am just going to continue with my maintenance.

Thanks guys

Never forget to EDC

Load out: car keys, cell phone, bound tight wallet, spyderco paramilitary 2,H&K USP compact .40
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Yes, it does, but I do it anyway. I feel like I am good enough at knife assembly that Spyderco couldn't tell that it was taken apart. Some mods are only possible when the knife is disassembled--custom scales come to mind. I have also never needed to use the warranty, so it doesn't bother me much. YMMV.
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Yeah, their warranty wording is really concerning in this regard. However, from all I've read and in all my dealings with the company, I'm convinced that so long as your disassembly didn't cause whatever warranty issue you're claiming (blade play, lock up, etc), they'd honor the warranty regardless. My understanding was the reason they added this wording was to stop people from sending in a bag of parts and expecting spyderco to put them together for free.

Also, even if your assembly does cause an issue, I'd think they'll still fix it. They just may charge you for their time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

elduderino04 wrote:Yeah, their warranty wording is really concerning in this regard. However, from all I've read and in all my dealings with the company, I'm convinced that so long as your disassembly didn't cause whatever warranty issue you're claiming (blade play, lock up, etc), they'd honor the warranty regardless. My understanding was the reason they added this wording was to stop people from sending in a bag of parts and expecting spyderco to put them together for free.

Also, even if your assembly does cause an issue, I'd think they'll still fix it. They just may charge you for their time.
I'm sure there are circumstances where the "issue" could not have been caused by disassembly/reassembly. OTOH, if a knife which has never been disassembled has blade play or lock up issues, then the logical thing to do is sent it back. Once you take it apart, it's going to be difficult, perhaps impossible, to tell it whether a defect caused those problems, or you did.

Just because something is put together with screws does not mean the maker intends for you to take it apart. Products intended to be "user serviceable" normally come with detailed instructions on how to break them down and put them back together.
Paul
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I actually think it is a necessary legal precaution against people tampering with knives and filling million dollar lawsuits.
Something not unheard of in the USA I read once in a while. Voiding your warranty means you have to trust the company to do right by you instead of being able to demand it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Gerard Breuker wrote:I actually think it is a necessary legal precaution against people tampering with knives and filling million dollar lawsuits.
Something not unheard of in the USA I read once in a while. Voiding your warranty means you have to trust the company to do right by you instead of being able to demand it.
Correct. I think the clause just gives them the leeway to use common sense and discretion if they feel someone is trying to bamboozle them. I have certainly never heard of one case of spyderco using legal trickery to try to avoid taking care of their customers.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Surfingringo wrote:Correct. I think the clause just gives them the leeway to use common sense and discretion if they feel someone is trying to bamboozle them. I have certainly never heard of one case of spyderco using legal trickery to try to avoid taking care of their customers.
Yep. I also bet they get a large number of knives in zip-lock bags from angry people who expect a Costco exchange policy. It's easier to extend courtesy service than write warranty wording assuming the majority are skilled with a torx driver (because few statistically are).
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Most warranty issues take place in a short time after receiving/using most knives. So by the time someone would typically want to take apart their knife to clean it, they'll know of any issues that would need service, *usually*.